ADVERTISEMENT

Leading receiver?

mtdew_fever

HR Heisman
Jul 14, 2004
With last season's two top receivers leaving for the NFL, who will be the one that will lead this year's group?

Clearly, the Hawks are going to gain an average of 8+ yards per on the ground, so passing will be an afterthought. I figure Stanley's 2019 stats will be something like 16-24, 160 yards, no int's, 12 TD's.;)

After seeing how fast he looks, I'm going with Tracy.

But for real, I think Tracy has the talent and athleticism where is he has his assignments down and sure hands I can see him thrive in the slot.

For a 10-win season ... the lead WR will be Brandon Smith. This being an indication that we're successfully working the field on the edges and vertically.

For an 8 or 9 win season, the lead WR will be Ragaini. This being an indication that our O is still mostly between the hashes.

For an 11+ win season, the lead WR will be Smith-Marsette. This being an indication that even our exceedingly talented but previously immature WR has finally found his focus. As a symbol ... it would be an indicator of an unwavering and laser-sharp focus of the O. Should this scenario play out ... I'll be buying tickets for a play-off game!

Have you ever heard of Marvin McNutt?
Hey, I wasn't being smart about it. Marv is a great guy and was a very productive receiver. I don't consider those seasons elite though. Does that make sense? Good but not great.

Hey, I wasn't being smart about it. Marv is a great guy and was a very productive receiver. I don't consider those seasons elite though. Does that make sense? Good but not great.

What the heck do you consider great? Lol

82 receptions in one season. over 1300 yards in one season.
Named Richter-Howard Wide Receiver of the Year in the Big Ten . . . third team All-America by Phil Steele . . . honorable mention All-America by Pro Football Weekly . . . first team all-Big Ten by both league coaches and media
National Wide Receiver of the Week by College Football Performance Awards in wins over Indiana and Purdue . . . Big Ten co-Offensive Player of the Week vs. Indiana . . . candidate for Wide Receiver Performance of the Year for his play in win over Indiana . . . honorable mention Wide Receiver of the Week by College Football Performance Awards vs. Tennessee Tech.

And this is in a program that doesn't throw the ball over the field like in some offenses. He was one of the best receivers in college football in 2011. Not to mention the huge plays he made as a Junior.

Also, just thought about Quin Early who was also a first team all Big Ten receiver and was honorable mention all american.

Last edited:
What the heck do you consider great? Lol

82 receptions in one season. over 1300 yards in one season.
Named Richter-Howard Wide Receiver of the Year in the Big Ten . . . third team All-America by Phil Steele . . . honorable mention All-America by Pro Football Weekly . . . first team all-Big Ten by both league coaches and media
National Wide Receiver of the Week by College Football Performance Awards in wins over Indiana and Purdue . . . Big Ten co-Offensive Player of the Week vs. Indiana . . . candidate for Wide Receiver Performance of the Year for his play in win over Indiana . . . honorable mention Wide Receiver of the Week by College Football Performance Awards vs. Tennessee Tech.

And this is in a program that doesn't throw the ball over the field like in some offenses. He was one of the best receivers in college football in 2011. Not to mention the huge plays he made as a Junior.

Also, just thought about Quin Early who was also a first team all Big Ten receiver and was honorable mention all american.
Yep. Quinn Early was one of my favorites! He was great. Don't get me wrong; he was very good! But I guess honorable mention AA is not what I was thinking for elite. Very debatable. I wouldn't fight you on it.

Yep. Quinn Early was one of my favorites! He was great. Don't get me wrong; he was very good! But I guess honorable mention AA is not what I was thinking for elite. Very debatable. I wouldn't fight you on it.

Well if you have to be higher than that to be elite, then Martin isn't going to be elite.

Well if you have to be higher than that to be elite, then Martin isn't going to be elite.
At some schools that have a relatively balanced run/pass offense, McNutt's season wouldn't be a top season.

https://stormininnorman.com/2016/07/28/oklahoma-football-five-best-sooner-receivers-all-time/

This is just one school, and they ran the wishbone for decades but have had multiseason consensus AAs at receiver. I didn't bother to look at Miami, USC, Oklahoma State, Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, Michigan, etc. I guess that's what I mean (right or wrong). An honorable mention AA is fine, but...not elite.

At some schools that have a relatively balanced run/pass offense, McNutt's season wouldn't be a top season.

https://stormininnorman.com/2016/07/28/oklahoma-football-five-best-sooner-receivers-all-time/

This is just one school, and they ran the wishbone for decades but have had multiseason consensus AAs at receiver. I didn't bother to look at Miami, USC, Oklahoma State, Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, Michigan, etc. I guess that's what I mean (right or wrong). An honorable mention AA is fine, but...not elite.

And that is fine if that is your definition of elite but you really think that Martin is going to reach that status when he barely saw the field at Michigan? That's not likely. Would be great but not likely.

And that is fine if that is your definition of elite but you really think that Martin is going to reach that status when he barely saw the field at Michigan? That's not likely. Would be great but not likely.
Agreed. It is a "personal definition"...not what I expect you or others to consider.

Not sure on Martin though as I understand it, he was in line to be a starter at his young age.

I was thinking ISM. He's already a conference award winner (special teams), and reportedly "is focused now". His name is known far more than, say, Hockensen was heading into last year. Clearly, I am less predicting this and more daydreaming it. Maybe I'm grasping at straws, but just hoping his speed, hands, and elusiveness take up a good portion of the Fant and Hockensen targets. We have a QB who can get it to him. We have scheme that can allow it. We have other targets (Smith, maybe Martin, and others) to keep the defense honest.... Honestly not drunk. lol

Reactions: David1979
My prediction is going to be Oliver Martin.

I just got off the Phone with *********** at the NC2A in
Indy and well, no I didn't.

GO HAWKS !! :)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT