ADVERTISEMENT

Legalized marijuana proposal unveiled by Iowa Democrats

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Of course, it will never pass:

Marijuana would be legal for recreational use, previous convictions for non-violent possession charges would be removed from an individual’s criminal record, and the state’s medical cannabis program would be expanded under legislation introduced Tuesday by Democratic state lawmakers.

The proposal is not likely to become state law any time soon, since Republican state lawmakers in leadership and Gov. Kim Reynolds have in the past opposed any efforts to legalize marijuana in Iowa.

Nationally, 21 states have legalized recreational marijuana, including Iowa neighbors Missouri and Illinois. Minnesota state lawmakers are considering legislation to legalize marijuana there.

Advertisement

“It is time,” said Iowa Rep. Jennifer Konfrst, a Windsor Heights resident and leader of the minority-party House Democrats.

Konfrst argued that legalizing marijuana would keep sales tax revenue in Iowa instead of sending it to other states, it would preserve state resources that currently go toward enforcing marijuana laws, and it would increase the quality of life for Iowans with chronic illnesses.

She also noted legal recreational marijuana use is popular with a majority of Iowa voters: 54 percent of Iowans said they support legalizing recreational pot in a 2021 Des Moines Register/Mediacom Iowa Poll.

“It is across party lines. It is across the place where you live in the state: rural, urban and suburban. And it is time to do this,” Konfrst said.

House Democrats’ proposal would tax marijuana sales at 10 percent, and revenue would be split three ways: 35 percent to fund scholarships for Iowa college students, 32.5 percent to mental health services and substance abuse programs, and 32.5 percent to local law enforcement agencies.

“Imagine that kind of revenue to Iowa schools, mental health services and local public safety,” said Iowa Rep. Lindsay James, a Democrat from Dubuque, who introduced the proposal along with Konfrst.

On Iowa Politics​

Newsletter Signup
checkmark-yellow.png
Legislative & Politics News Delivered to your inbox each weekday

The state agency that currently regulates alcohol laws would oversee marijuana sales in Iowa under Democrats’ proposal.

The proposal also would allow Iowans convicted of misdemeanor marijuana possession — without any convictions for violent crimes — to request the courts to remove the possession conviction from their record.

James and Konfrst said House Democrats examined legal marijuana programs in other states in order to glean best practices for their proposal.

The Republicans who lead the House’s public safety and judiciary committees said the proposal will not advance in the House, where Republicans hold the agenda-setting majority.

“I have been clear in the past that I do not believe marijuana legalization is the right path forward for Iowa,” said Rep. Steve Holt, a Republican from Denison who chairs the judiciary committee. “This is not an issue that has received much support from the judiciary committee in my time as chair, and I do not expect this session to be different. Iowans have expressed a very different set of priorities to me and my Republican colleagues.”

Added Rep. Phil Thompson, a Republican from Jefferson who chairs the public safety committee, “I don’t have any interest in moving it without broad Republican support, and I don’t think we have that.”

The Democrats’ proposal was still being drafted, they said Tuesday, and thus does not yet have a bill number. Officials said they expect the bill to be filed Wednesday.

Bipartisan too. One of Kim’s dumbest stances. And she’s full of dumb.
She will pray for your lost soul tonight. The Lord works through her, and she is protecting you from yourself.

Many people believe that marijuana is not a harmful product, and in fact, it has a number of potential benefits. For example, marijuana has been shown to have pain-relieving properties, and it may also be useful in treating conditions like anxiety, depression, and insomnia. If you're interested in exploring the potential benefits of marijuana, online dispensaries like mailorder-marijuana.io can be a great resource to turn to. These types of dispensaries offer a wide range of marijuana products, from flowers to edibles to concentrates, all available for delivery right to your doorstep.

Last edited:
It should never pass, Iowa doesn't need any additional social issues which drugs invariably cause.
They should write the legalization bill on hemp paper and include a provision that allows people to cultivate shrooms and DMT. And sell small personal amounts of prescription amphetamines at Kinnick so the drunks can stay in the zone for yelling all four quarters. Also we should allow careful physician supervised steroids in MLB. Outlaw in-game wagering in sports but start tolerating openly held private card games. Ban all trade with Saudi Arabia.

Reactions: cigaretteman
Who knows who he/she really is. It's a total role play troll job.
I’m as real as they come Junior. Sorry if my opinion bothers you. If you’re ever in my neck of the woods I’d love to meet up and have a face to face conversation. I guarantee I’d surprise you. You are just another sheep grazing where ever you’re shepherd takes you. Not an original thought in your brain. I view this board as entertainment, you obviously take it too seriously, but are very entertaining.

I’m as real as they come Junior. Sorry if my opinion bothers you. If you’re ever in my neck of the woods I’d love to meet up and have a face to face conversation. I guarantee I’d surprise you. You are just another sheep grazing where ever you’re shepherd takes you. Not an original thought in your brain. I view this board as entertainment, you obviously take it too seriously, but are very entertaining.

Hmmm....well since I was not referring to you...sure....
flexing big guy GIF by Bounce

• Haha
Reactions: Ree4 and torbee
Dude, this dude is a troll
Yes. People should keep this Sartre quote in mind when reading Pete Malloy (who is clearly Bonney and not NCHawk, I don't see how that's not obvious to people, although this quote also applies to NCHawk).

Never believe that anti-Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The anti-Semites have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past.​

Reactions: torbee
Recreational isn’t going to happen anytime soon. So either road trip to Illinois or tell your doctor that COVID or Wokeism or CRT or whatever has caused you severe anxiety and get a medical card.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT