ADVERTISEMENT

Let's play "I'm the Hawkeye O-coordinator!"

rrsteffe

Team MVP
Gold Member
Mar 28, 2014
The Hawks have the ball, fourth and one and you are going to go for it. Your bread and butter over the years is the QB sneak, but your QB is gimpy so you don't want to run him into the line and risk further injury. Do you...

A: hand the ball off to the RB on a play that doesn't have a chance in hell of gaining a yard because your O-line can't run block and the defense knows exactly what is coming, or:

B: bring your 260 pound fully healthy QB off the bench to bulldoze his way to a 5 yard gain on a QB sneak?

I don't know about you, but I'm thinking B.

Bring in the back up, fake sneak and hit a te. Worst case scenario: don’t make it but for the rest of the season every d coordinator and mlb is worried about that.
The lack of imagination and foresight is astounding.

It appears that we have a real qb for a change, assuming he's healthy. It appears that our oline has some ability to pass protect. It appears that the same oline has little ability to move guys off the line in the run game. Why not try passing the ball more often, put our team in a position to win without stress, especially against an inferior foe and put IOWA's qb or even a receiver in the Heisman argument? It's just a thought

Maybe go play-action and roll to one of your All Big Ten caliber TE’s. I know — way too sexy, and breaking tendencies gives Brian a headache.

It seems they were significantly limiting his rollouts and that IS our bread and butter and in answer to question.

I know it would be obvious bringing in Hill, but that limits the penetration as does a handoff to a 250 Lb up back.

They got a ton of penetration. Their 210 Lb safety was a star and caused us mucho problems in the backfield!

As did their 250Lb MLB that transferred from Washington & their free safety that transferred from Colorado!

Reactions: ShonnDeereGreene
I think the problem is technique. First of all, our tall oline struggled to get lower than the shorter dlinemen. In many instances when the ball was snapped the dline was able to get leverage and standup the much bigger and stronger olinemen. Also, and I am no line coach, but it seems that the gaps pose a big problem. Either tighten them up for widen them out. The problem so many times the past few years is that the dlinemen just shoot a gap and then that turns into a double team. Almost bait in a lot of instances because with that technique, no matter if they get penetration or not, 3 defensive linemen can occupy the 5 olinemen and a tight end. That keeps the linebackers clean, many times 4 of them along with a safety. There are just too many defenders to account for. If they tightened the gaps on short yardage atleast it would negate problem with them shooting the gap and it is just power. However, if you widen the gap it seems like there is a lot more one-on-one blocking, keeping a couple of olinemen clean to work to the linebackers. Defenses shooting the gap all the time pose another issue because the olinemen are always trying to block them at some weird angle and on their heels if they lost pad level battle.

To answer the question, I am going to line up my oline shoulder to shoulder, 4 tightends and Johnson and tell them to plow.

Rewatched some of the game and I just don’t understand the obsession with running a slow developing, trap-blocking run play right up the middle when we’ve proven we absolutely cannot execute that. It’s like banking on seven things going perfectly. Don’t get cute - run it up there like desihawk says with 520 lbs of QB and FB pushing straight forward.

Also, since it was mentioned earlier - Wetjen was a fantastic surprise - loved it - but if that’s all they are going to do when he’s in the game then any junior high DC can scout that out real quick. Need to get him involved with some pass routes to keep them honest (and would enjoy a WR tunnel screen with him too).

Rewatched some of the game and I just don’t understand the obsession with running a slow developing, trap-blocking run play right up the middle when we’ve proven we absolutely cannot execute that. It’s like banking on seven things going perfectly. Don’t get cute - run it up there like desihawk says with 520 lbs of QB and FB pushing straight forward.
back in Nate Stanley days, the qb sneak was one of the most potent weapons Iowa had. And it fit KFs personality. KF probably went away from it because the fans enjoyed it too much.

The QB sneak with a guy like Stanley is something I miss.

Reactions: ShonnDeereGreene
It seems they were significantly limiting his rollouts and that IS our bread and butter and in answer to question.

I know it would be obvious bringing in Hill, but that limits the penetration as does a handoff to a 250 Lb up back.

They got a ton of penetration. Their 210 Lb safety was a star and caused us mucho problems in the backfield!

As did their 250Lb MLB that transferred from Washington & their free safety that transferred from Colorado!
Would love seeing them bring Hill in for QB sneaks - let it get scouted and known. And then use it as a fake against - say penn st - and go over the top for a TD to Lachey.

Frankly they could set an entire play package around it - he’s a legit QB so they’d have to honor other scenarios after that.

Would love seeing them bring Hill in for QB sneaks - let it get scouted and known. And then use it as a fake against - say penn st - and go over the top for a TD to Lachey.

Frankly they could set an entire play package around it - he’s a legit QB so they’d have to honor other scenarios after that.

Good point

Go five wide to spreed the defense out and if you can’t get it to a tight end on an out route after wide receivers clear their area, I’d hope Cade can get at least one yard with a dive forward so his leg doesn’t get hit on a slide that the officials always love to mark short due to the slide.

What we saw Saturday was two stubborn and pig headed coaches that think their way is the only way and that’s why Brian will be out after this season and KF will probably retire due to Brian being forced out. This is all KF’s fault and he has no one to blame but himself. Thanks for all you’ve done KF but it’s time for a coach that will play offense outside of a small, windowless box. Keep everyone intact with Levar taking over and get the OC from Oregon State. He knows how to run an offense.

The Hawks have the ball, fourth and one and you are going to go for it. Your bread and butter over the years is the QB sneak, but your QB is gimpy so you don't want to run him into the line and risk further injury. Do you...

A: hand the ball off to the RB on a play that doesn't have a chance in hell of gaining a yard because your O-line can't run block and the defense knows exactly what is coming, or:

B: bring your 260 pound fully healthy QB off the bench to bulldoze his way to a 5 yard gain on a QB sneak?

I don't know about you, but I'm thinking B.
We are all born with or without aptitude for abilities, and Brian Ferentz was not born with an aptitude for offensive coordinator. It is considered the hardest coaching position in sports, and Brian does not have
ability no matter how hard he tries.

Oklahoma under Bobby Stoops had a back-up QB named Bell. They had the “Bell-dozer” package on 3rd and short. They used it against us in the bowl game. We did a better job against that package than any other team they played that year, but they still made a lot of first downs with it and scored a TD, IIRC.

He would sub in with those extra OL in the backfield. Everyone knew what was coming but you still couldn’t stop it from gaining a yard or 2.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT