ADVERTISEMENT

Let's say you awoke from a coma that started in 1996.

416274-smart-phones.jpg

How Northern’s wife has somehow gotten even more beautiful.

This, the streaming of video (especially on smart phones), HD sports blew my mind when I first saw it, and of course Trump as President after we elected a black guy twice while I was out (and he somehow didn't get popped by some Southern "Christian" while in office).

First I'd be like, "Dude....I'm STILL overweight? I told you I was big boned!"

Then, I'd get overloaded with the idea of Apps on the smart phone. In 1996 I was printing papers off of my Brother Word Processor.
tw-scm-pwp3650s-full.jpg

Then, I'd be amazed that Hillary and Trump were the latest candidates.

Then I'd see the hyperdrive I just took from leg warmers to yoga pants and volleyball uniforms and everything would be OK.

Almost certainly this and the small laptops the doctors and nurses carry around and work from would be the first things you would notice technology wise.

I mean I was 14 in 1996. I didn't get a regular cell phone that made calls for another 4 years. I think I might have just started using the internet with a dial up.

Now everyone is carrying around this device in their hands that is basically a mobile computer that connects to the internet plus a phone, flashlight, camera and GPS (Which is not something I had seen when I was 14.).

I kind of did have a 20+ year coma-wake-up-like WTF. After high school I didn’t return much to my hometown. Now back after 25 years, seeing first-hand what white flight and urban core disinvestment, the accompanying wealth redistribution, within one generation, looks like: eye-opening.

Reactions: jasonrann
First I'd be like, "Dude....I'm STILL overweight? I told you I was big boned!"

Then, I'd get overloaded with the idea of Apps on the smart phone. In 1996 I was printing papers off of my Brother Word Processor.
tw-scm-pwp3650s-full.jpg

Then, I'd be amazed that Hillary and Trump were the latest candidates.

Then I'd see the hyperdrive I just took from leg warmers to yoga pants and volleyball uniforms and everything would be OK.

What is amazing about Hillary and Trump is that they are candidates that you would have heard of in 1996.

I would have never heard of Obama or Romney, or Kerry, or George W. Bush. But Clinton and Trump I would have heard of.

I agree with most of these so far. I will add I would be appalled by the shitty music on the radio and that they are playing Stone Temple Pilots on "classic rock" radio. But I would be amazed that I could Bluetooth my phone to my car radio and listen to whatever I wanted on Spotify for $10 a month commercial free.

I agree with most of these so far. I will add I would be appalled by the shitty music on the radio and that they are playing Stone Temple Pilots on "classic rock" radio. But I would be amazed that I could Bluetooth my phone to my car radio and listen to whatever I wanted on Spotify for $10 a month commercial free.
Actually to dovetail on this, I would be amazed that rock stations are still playing the same music from 1996 when I went into a coma. The other day I was listening to the local rock station and Bush's "Comedown" was playing on the radio. I was like, this is a damn good song, loved Sixteen Stone. Not even a classic rock station.

Actually to dovetail on this, I would be amazed that rock stations are still playing the same music from 1996 when I went into a coma. The other day I was listening to the local rock station and Bush's "Comedown" was playing on the radio. I was like, this is a damn good song, loved Sixteen Stone. Not even a classic rock station.

Probably because there has been very little good rock music come out since ~2001, IMO.

Power of Smart Phones and internet.

What wouldn’t surprise me is the Minnesota Vikings.

I kind of did have a 20+ year coma-wake-up-like WTF. After high school I didn’t return much to my hometown. Now back after 25 years, seeing first-hand what white flight and urban core disinvestment, the accompanying wealth redistribution, within one generation, looks like: eye-opening.
What is your hometown?

The government. It hasn’t been able to do a damn thing in 25 years thanks to the politics that evolved out of a blow job impeachment. We are seeing payback for that event today.
What has the government been unable to do?

I liked this not for the tech advancement but because we have a zombie culture of people who walk around that never look up.
When I lived in NYC I spent a lot of time in West Village/Tribeca neighborhoods. Lots a famous folks milling about. I used to sit with my coffee and marvel at tourists who would walk by or stand next to some star and not even know it.

Hell, I was there about six weeks ago and on the 6 train with SNL’s Kate McKinnon and a group of tourists right next to her were so busy with their phones they had no idea.

I’m not suggesting everybody gives a shit about famous people, just using this as a way of describing the weird life-missing behavior of walking around staring at a hand-held gadget.

Yep nobody heard of the son of a president whose was governor of texas and owned a baseball team

I wouldn't have is what I'm saying.

I mean you could have explained to me that he was the son of the previous Bush and I would have gotten it. But I never would have heard of him as an individual.

I don't follow baseball and I don't really follow the politics of other states that closely.

When I lived in NYC I spent a lot of time in West Village/Tribeca neighborhoods. Lots a famous folks milling about. I used to sit with my coffee and marvel at tourists who would walk by or stand next to some star and not even know it.

Hell, I was there about six weeks ago and on the 6 train with SNL’s Kate McKinnon and a group of tourists right next to her were so busy with their phones they had no idea.

I’m not suggesting everybody gives a shit about famous people, just using this as a way of describing the weird life-missing behavior of walking around staring at a hand-held gadget.

Or maybe they don't follow SNL.

Famous is entirely a question of who is talking.

I have cousins that are related to Sean Astin's wife on the other side. At a wedding about 15 years ago my dad asked Sean Astin what he does for a living.

Reactions: Rudolph
I wouldn't have is what I'm saying.

I mean you could have explained to me that he was the son of the previous Bush and I would have gotten it. But I never would have heard of him as an individual.

I don't follow baseball and I don't really follow the politics of other states that closely.

Right, that sounds like a your shelter life thing. Many of us had heard of a major politican who owned a sports teams.

Or maybe they don't follow SNL.

Famous is entirely a question of who is talking.

I have cousins that are related to Sean Astin's wife on the other side. At a wedding about 15 years ago my dad asked Sean Astin what he does for a living.
I realize this. This group on the 6 fairly likely know who Kate McKinnon is. Regardless, Beyoncé could have been standing there quietly and good chance they wouldn’t have noticed. The point is that they never looked up from their phones.

Id crap my pants because the Cubs actually won a World Series. Then Id punch a wall because I slept through the whole thing.

Reactions: Rudolph
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT