ADVERTISEMENT

Lets talk draws!

eihawk

Rookie
Aug 13, 2018
Spencer - all about the semis
Desanto - put a lion on the backside, then micic. If hes not healthy you couldn't really ask for more.
Murin - muran then carr to reach the quarters. 2 guys he can beat and you have to be ecstatic about this draw.
Lugo - have a change to knock a cowboy to the backside before quarters. Then possible Berge in blood round. Why not knock a lion out of the tournament.
Young - surprised hidley fell to 5. Quarter with Deckan who did not look good at bigs.
The Bull - terrible all the way around but its the bull so if anyone id worry about a drawn like this it definitely not the bull.
Cash - Max Dean is not Gabe Dean. The best version of Cash can win that match.
Warner - Avenge Rocco the Brucki in the quarters. I like Brucki a lot more hear then Weigel.
Stoll - How pissed is Wood right now. Honestly you have to like the fact that Gable Cassar and Dhesi are on the opposite side. Lets just hope Stoll has one more run in him.

Lee has Russell-Piccinnini-Rivera. I like his chances.

DeSanto- Pretty nervous about this draw. RBY is a tough second round match to have, and you can bet he and the PSU coaching staff are going to have a game plan for this one. (Edit: Forgot to finish my thought here) DeSanto has evolved as a wrestler, still has issues on bottom but he's no longer a one trick pony. I look forward to the rematch with Micic, especially with him potentially having knee issues, a big honkin' brace like that doesn't just pop up at the end of the season for no reason. But we saw what Yianni did last year with a torn ACL so anything goes, take care of business. Hope we get to see DeSanto-Suriano III in the semifinals.

Murin has a pretty good draw IMO. Two VERY winnable matches to get into the quarters for a rematch with Nick Lee, and R12 at worst.

Lugo better be ready to go, lost a weird match to Maruca at Midlands last year and that is kind of looming on my mind due to Maruca's length. Idk how I feel about the Jordan Quarter, Micah doesn't have the mat game that others do, but his neutral game is superior to Lugo's, I think he likely drops to the R12 and then fights back onto the stand in the consis.

Young a great draw IMO. He can send Hayes to the backside early, and his main competition on his side is Deakin and Berger to make the finals. Deakin didn't look too great at B1Gs and Berger beat him 3-1 in SV in the dual. This right here is the perfect opportunity for us to take control of the team race for 2nd, send Hayes to the backside early to maybe claw onto the bottom of the podium or fall in R16/R12, and go on a 'surprise' run to the finals taking out Deakin and Berger. Where most people are penciling him in for 6th-8th place points, he has the draw (and ability) to score double that amount and take 2nd.

Bull has an insane draw, but dude is too tough to care, he'll run em all over including Wick for the 4th friggen time. He's on a mission for Eli, can't be stopped. Though Wick will have to get through chance in the Quarters, which I don't consider a guarantee.

Wilcke has his highest seed of his career *Golf Clap*. Has to go through Dean and Parker to make the semis. If he falls to Dean I see him making the R12 again and having to face off with the loser of the quarterfinal in the bottom quarter that Shakur and Reenan are in.

Warner has to go through Caywood and Brucki to cement his AA status to face Nickal friday night. I forsee him wrestling back to the 3rd/4th match.

Stoll - about the best draw he could hope for given the circumstances. Give em hell big guy, one last time.

Last edited:
. . . Wilcke has his highest seed of his career *Golf Clap*. Has to go through Dean and Parker to make the semis. If he falls to Dean I see him making the R12 again and having to face off with the loser of the quarterfinal in the bottom quarter that Shakur and Reenan are in. . .

Don't be surprised if Reenan loses in the first or second round.

Don't be surprised if Reenan loses in the first or second round.
Perhaps i phrased that poorly, I just meant that if he were to take that path he would face whoever lost in the quarters from that quarter. I arbitrarily listed the two highest seeds in the quarter.

Reactions: slushhead
Perhaps i phrased that poorly, I just meant that if he were to take that path he would face whoever lost in the quarters from that quarter. I arbitrarily listed the two highest seeds in the quarter.

No, you phrased it well. I just saw it as a convenient opportunity to call an early on-paper upset that I had been thinking of earlier.

Shields getting 3rd irks me...He had losses to Marinelli, Cenzo and Wick. Wick loses to the #1 three times and Massa. Put Shields in the B1G and I think he places anywhere from 5-6 with 7-10 losses along the way. Yea, he beat Massa and Marstellar but Wick owns the head to head.

Doesnt matter what the seeding is, if hawks aren't ready or wrestle passive, they'll be out like Kerry McCoy.

Shields getting 3rd irks me...He had losses to Marinelli, Cenzo and Wick. Wick loses to the #1 three times and Massa. Put Shields in the B1G and I think he places anywhere from 5-6 with 7-10 losses along the way. Yea, he beat Massa and Marstellar but Wick owns the head to head.

My thoughts exactly. Unless the coaches rankings really “punished” him for the Massa loss then I don’t see how the rubric drops him to 4. I think he would have to have been dropped to 6 or 7 ranked which is terrible.

Reactions: IAChief32

Also, how the hell does Joseph go an entire season never wrestling Wick, but Marinelli is setup for round 4.

Doesnt matter what the seeding is, if hawks aren't ready or wrestle passive, they'll be out like Kerry McCoy.

Usually, I'd have a Captain Obvious gif for you but you are a good Hawk fan so I'll dispense with sarcasm. It's an annual rite of passage and something fun to discuss. Of course I think the Bull will make it through and yes, guys have to show up and wrestle, beat the guy in front of them or whatever cliche one wants to use. But we're fans so we fan on. Better than talking about whatever is allegedly falling off the truck (championship trophies) to get guys going to PSU or the medical diagnosis of Spencer Lee. Nationals is here!

It wasn't ducking............

He was DEMONSTRATING to Rasheed how it's done properly. Setting the example you know. :confused:

I love how Willie's justification for why Rasheed not wrestling Martin in the Big Ten finals isn't considered ducking is b/c Rasheed had nothing to lose so it can't be classified as ducking. I'm pretty sure wrestling Martin in the final and getting beat and coming off a loss right before nationals as a hit to your confidence is something pretty big to lose. Idk how he believes the only thing to lose when wrestling a match is seed. Confidence is important in this sport.

And then about 20 seconds later, (I think it was CP) says well it seems obvious that Cael and co. have a gameplay for the Martin match and don't want to give it away before nationals. Isn't that something to lose? If that's the case isn't it ducking?

I am a Penn State wrestling fan but more importantly a wrestling fan. I always read here but usually do not post. That being typed, The Bull got absolutely hosed with the seeding.

I'm with you, brother...Alex got the big hose job!! And how did Shields get the 3 seed over Wick, when Wick beat him head to head. Not taking anything from Shield, who himself had a solid schedule, but his schedule wasn't as brutal as Wick's. Also, I think Jordan Wood got the big shaft by having to face 29th ranked Stoll. While I don't think Stoll can do much better than high AA (if he's on his game), I hate it for the poor Lehigh kid. The 4th seed should not have to face someone like that in the first round.

Reactions: PAwrestling

DeSanto- Pretty nervous about this draw. RBY is a tough second round match to have, and you can bet he and the PSU coaching staff are going to have a game plan for this one. (Edit: Forgot to finish my thought here) DeSanto has evolved as a wrestler, still has issues on bottom but he's no longer a one trick pony. I look forward to the rematch with Micic, especially with him potentially having knee issues, a big honkin' brace like that doesn't just pop up at the end of the season for no reason. But we saw what Yianni did last year with a torn ACL so anything goes, take care of business. Hope we get to see DeSanto-Suriano III in the semifinals.

Murin has a pretty good draw IMO. Two VERY winnable matches to get into the quarters for a rematch with Nick Lee, and R12 at worst.

Lugo better be ready to go, lost a weird match to Maruca at Midlands last year and that is kind of looming on my mind due to Maruca's length. Idk how I feel about the Jordan Quarter, Micah doesn't have the mat game that others do, but his neutral game is superior to Lugo's, I think he likely drops to the R12 and then fights back onto the stand in the consis.

Young a great draw IMO. He can send Hayes to the backside early, and his main competition on his side is Deakin and Berger to make the finals. Deakin didn't look too great at B1Gs and Berger beat him 3-1 in SV in the dual. This right here is the perfect opportunity for us to take control of the team race for 2nd, send Hayes to the backside early to maybe claw onto the bottom of the podium or fall in R16/R12, and go on a 'surprise' run to the finals taking out Deakin and Berger. Where most people are penciling him in for 6th-8th place points, he has the draw (and ability) to score double that amount and take 2nd.

Bull has an insane draw, but dude is too tough to care, he'll run em all over including Wick for the 4th friggen time. He's on a mission for Eli, can't be stopped. Though Wick will have to get through chance in the Quarters, which I don't consider a guarantee.

Wilcke has his highest seed of his career *Golf Clap*. Has to go through Dean and Parker to make the semis. If he falls to Dean I see him making the R12 again and having to face off with the loser of the quarterfinal in the bottom quarter that Shakur and Reenan are in.

Warner has to go through Caywood and Brucki to cement his AA status to face Nickal friday night. I forsee him wrestling back to the 3rd/4th match.

Stoll - about the best draw he could hope for given the circumstances. Give em hell big guy, one last time.
Excellent analysis, LAX! If our boys aren't really on their games, we could be down to 4 in the winners' brackets after round 2 and 2 after round 3. No easy roads this year. We need Stoll to pull off the victory against Wood and then make it to the match against Parris, among other things. I'd like to see him have a special run, but after the B10s, it doesn't look overly promising. I just hope our fellas are up for the challenge and don't take any matches for granted. A lot of hungry young wrestlers in this year's field.

If Wilcke doesn't get on his offense and score some points in the first and second periods, I can easily see him losing to Gravina, He can't afford to wrestle passively/defensively this year like he did last year at 97. He drives me insane because he's got the skills to kick ass and be a solid AA. I hope he makes it happen!!

Excellent analysis, LAX! If our boys aren't really on their games, we could be down to 4 in the winners' brackets after round 2 and 2 after round 3. No easy roads this year. We need Stoll to pull off the victory against Wood and then make it to the match against Parris, among other things. I'd like to see him have a special run, but after the B10s, it doesn't look overly promising. I just hope our fellas are up for the challenge and don't take any matches for granted. A lot of hungry young wrestlers in this year's field.

Parris will have to take on Jennings in the second round. I believe he is 0-2 against him. Would be great to see Stoll whoop Jennings again.

Usually, I'd have a Captain Obvious gif for you but you are a good Hawk fan so I'll dispense with sarcasm. It's an annual rite of passage and something fun to discuss. Of course I think the Bull will make it through and yes, guys have to show up and wrestle, beat the guy in front of them or whatever cliche one wants to use. But we're fans so we fan on. Better than talking about whatever is allegedly falling off the truck (championship trophies) to get guys going to PSU or the medical diagnosis of Spencer Lee. Nationals is here!

I'll take it, but many of our posts are sounding as we're already expecting to lose.
I'm hoping that instead of looking at the mountain in front of them, the Hawks will acknowledge the mountains they've already climbed to get here.

I love how Willie's justification for why Rasheed not wrestling Martin in the Big Ten finals isn't considered ducking is b/c Rasheed had nothing to lose so it can't be classified as ducking. I'm pretty sure wrestling Martin in the final and getting beat and coming off a loss right before nationals as a hit to your confidence is something pretty big to lose. Idk how he believes the only thing to lose when wrestling a match is seed. Confidence is important in this sport.

And then about 20 seconds later, (I think it was CP) says well it seems obvious that Cael and co. have a gameplay for the Martin match and don't want to give it away before nationals. Isn't that something to lose? If that's the case isn't it ducking?

Seems like they forgot to apply the same logic when Spencer missed the NW dual.

I'll take it, but many of our posts are sounding as we're already expecting to lose.
I'm hoping that instead of looking at the mountain in front of them, the Hawks will acknowledge the mountains they've already climbed to get here.
My opinion is the Hawks to pretty dang well till they reach the quarters then Friday morning its going to turn into a fire Brands fiasco on this board.

Reactions: TarpHawk
BT wrestlers Top side & bottom side.
125-4 top 6 bottom.
Top side has 3 of 4 on the first 4 lines
133-1 top 7 bottom
141-2 top 7 bottom
149-4 top 3 bottom
157-3 top 7 bottom
165-5 Top 5 bottom
174-4 top 5 bottom
184-6 top 3 bottom
197-2 top 3 bottom
285-5 top 4 bottom
Good parity on the bottom 5 weights. The first 5 weights not so much.

Decent draws overall. Marinelli's and DeSanto's are toughest, but those are also the toughest weights.

Nobody complains about Nolf's draw. By that I mean that there's no one likely to beat him because he's better than everyone else. That's ultimately the mindset we need to have, and the level of talent we need to have. Because if we need favorable draws to be competitive we're not truly competitive.

Up and down the lineup we're going to be challenged in the first or second round (mindset better be first round). We've got an opportunity to achieve high goals, and I hope we rise to the occasion.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT