ADVERTISEMENT

Let's talk Punting. what's the shield formation going to look like?

icu81222

HB All-American
Dec 4, 2008
Rumor has it, Iowa is going to the shield punt. I am no expert on this topic but if I understand how that works in other programs they put 3 offensive linemen back as protectors.

Have to say, I am not a big fan of using linemen on the punt team. That is 2 or 3 guys that have zero ability to make a tackle if needed. Then you have the punter too.

Is that what this will look like? Or will they use linebacker type guys?

No rumor. It's a fact. Not sure what type of players they're going to assign to the 3 protectors, but I suspect they won't be linemen. Your fears about poor coverage are unfounded, because this is in fact one of the strengths of this formation: getting downfield coverage as quickly as possible.

Here is a link discussing the formation. Pay attention to the players that can pre-release and those that quick release. The goal is to get the main coverage unit downfield as quickly as possible. The video discusses the strengths and weakness of the formation.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3kWLyutSiE

Here's a video of it in action
www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRcuHDcpHxM

I am very optimistic that this will work much better than the Hawks previous (pro style) formation, because the coverage unit was so slow in getting downfield. In this formation, the unit releases from the line of scrimmage much more slowly, by design, because the NFL rules are different than NCAA rules regarding how long players have to stay on line of scrimmage before they release.

If you look at video from last year, the Hawks coverage unit was approximately 15 yards from the returner when the returner caught the punt. Way too far away.

Hope this helps.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Reactions: BuckRussel
Remember when ...I think it was Michigan...... had their punter take the snap in the shield formation but instead of a two step kick, the punter and shield team would run about 10 yards towards one side of the field (at an angle towards the right sideline IIRC) - then punt the ball rugby style while running. WTF was that?

More time for the coverage team. Sacrifice kick accuracy and distance for less chance of a decent return.

All I know is that we better do a better job punting the ball. Finished 10th in average punt distance last year. Coverage can also be impacted by hang time. If you are kicking low trajectory balls, it doesn't give the coverage team time to get down field.

Punting and coverage cost us the Nebraska game for sure.

Remember when ...I think it was Michigan...... had their punter take the snap in the shield formation but instead of a two step kick, the punter and shield team would run about 10 yards towards one side of the field (at an angle towards the right sideline IIRC) - then punt the ball rugby style while running. WTF was that?
This, and the fake punt, are natural extensions of the formation. The rugby will most likely sacrifice the traditional punt (that turns over) because it's extremely difficult for the punter to hit a spiral on the run.

All I know is that we better do a better job punting the ball. Finished 10th in average punt distance last year. Coverage can also be impacted by hang time. If you are kicking low trajectory balls, it doesn't give the coverage team time to get down field.

Punting and coverage cost us the Nebraska game for sure.

Yep.

I have seen lots of treams use linemen. And then watched them flail at the return guy running for a Td.

I have to think having 3 linemen back there seriously hinders your options for a fake punt. Not that a fake is in the Iowa playbook, but no direct snap run/pass option. And probably too slow to get to the edge to have the punter run it.

Here is Western Michigan using the shield punt against Iowa in 2013 where KMM returned 2 for TD's.

I noticed at least 3 linemen on the field both times.

Reactions: ichawk24
No formation is foolproof. Nothing is guaranteed to work every time (except Colt 45). This is about playing the percentages and making our punt play more successful, both in terms of coverage (mostly) and in terms of safety.

Regardless of the formation used, it's the execution and abilities of the players on the field that make any play work (or not). The staff has apparently decided that getting more guys farther down the field while the ball is in the air is going to improve our punt coverage. I, for one, am happy to seem them try something different to help fix a system that's not working the past few seasons.

Can we come up with dozens of examples of the new formation not working? Yes!!

Can we also come up with dozens of examples of any punt formation not working? Yes!!

I'm with Recruiting Violation in that I'm happy that the staff is doing everything they can to fix the issues. New formation, a renewed focus on starters contributing to special teams, etc.

I am happy that changes are being made as well. Just using this for discussion AND pointing out I would prefer they use DE type guys instead of linemen like some programs have used.

I understand the philosophy and I think it is sound. However, having 3 or 4 nonathletes (counting long snappers) is not sound IMO. Especially if they aren't normally tacklers

I am happy that changes are being made as well. Just using this for discussion AND pointing out I would prefer they use DE type guys instead of linemen like some programs have used.

I understand the philosophy and I think it is sound. However, having 3 or 4 nonathletes (counting long snappers) is not sound IMO. Especially if they aren't normally tacklers

I agree. I hope the same (or similar) personnel are used in the new formation as we used before. We don't want lumbering brutes out there trying to make open field tackles.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT