ADVERTISEMENT

Lets talk Social Norms

• Thread starter anon_ddojbbh8q7xrt
  • Start date
A

anon_ddojbbh8q7xrt

I posted this reflection in another thread but I think it deserves its own thread.

Social norms. Its interesting that its taken us this long to question some these social norms. These things have been around for centuries. Yet its only recently that America is saying hold up, some of this is dumb. (Side note: why arent other countries also grappling with these issues).

I have a great example. The other day, I heard some story about a homophobic parent who chastised their 10 year old son because he came out the shower with a towel wrapped around his chest. The father proclaimed men wrap towels around their waist not their chest like a girl.

huh? Who the f*** made up this rule? And why are you abiding by it?

deal_with_it_seinfeld.gif

Reactions: Moral and sob5
1). How do you know it has taken “this long to deal with this”
2). How do you know other countries are not questioning this?
3) Why do you say “only recently”. America has been changing and discarding dumb things forever.
4). Logic made up the towel rule (boobs versus no boobs)

This is one poor original post.

1). How do you know it has taken “this long to deal with this”
2). How do you know other countries are not questioning this?
3) Why do you say “only recently”. America has been changing and discarding dumb things forever.
4). Logic made up the towel rule (boobs versus no boobs)

This is one poor original post.

Dumbass do you even comprehend the point of my post? Because this reply is just insanely stupid bro. Like some real life idiot shit

Dumbass do you even comprehend the point of my post? Because this reply is just insanely stupid bro. Like some real life idiot shit

Yes, I understand the point of your post.

But the supporting statements are completely unsubstantiated.

Well, I am not 10.

But I do wear my towels around my chest, I am fat. No one wants to see that.

How fat are you? Like 6’1 225 former football player fat or morbidly obese 5’7 275 fatass fat

Never really thought about it and don’t plan, too. But guessing you’re making a bigger deal out of it than it really is. Who pays attention to how others are wearing their towel.

Never really thought about it and don’t plan, too. But guessing you’re making a bigger deal out of it than it really is. Who pays attention to how others are wearing their towel.

12 year old boys in gym class,.. This dad isn't homophobic, he's just a dad.

You can have very loose social norms if the people in the society are decent people to begin with.

Unfortunately we live in a society where that isn’t the case.
Homeless
Inner city poor
Red necks
Trailer trash

do you want the Walmart circus crowd to have more social freedoms?

just wouldn’t work here.

I posted this reflection in another thread but I think it deserves its own thread.

Social norms. Its interesting that its taken us this long to question some these social norms. These things have been around for centuries. Yet its only recently that America is saying hold up, some of this is dumb. (Side note: why arent other countries also grappling with these issues).

I have a great example. The other day, I heard some story about a homophobic parent who chastised their 10 year old son because he came out the shower with a towel wrapped around his chest. The father proclaimed men wrap towels around their waist not their chest like a girl.

huh? Who the f*** made up this rule? And why are you abiding by it?
What social norm that was around centuries ago do you adhere to or observe?

The other day, I heard some story about a homophobic parent who chastised their 10 year old son because he came out the shower with a towel wrapped around his chest. The father proclaimed men wrap towels around their waist not their chest like a girl.

Sounds like toxic masculinity more so than a social norm.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT