ADVERTISEMENT

Lettin' 'em play

Feb 5, 2015
I watched parts of several games from a variety of venues yesterday, and it seemed to me the refs in every game were really allowing physical play. Few fouls being called. Not many FTs. Just lots of pushing and shoving and hacking and reaching in and general mugging. It seemed like the most physical NCAA I can remember.

If this trend continues, Whitey and the Hawkeyes had better lace 'em tight and get after it. Be ready to play through contact and be strong with the ball at ALL times. I understand Davidson may not have a rep as a physical team, but if the refs are going to let things go, Iowa had better be ready to respond.

Anybody else think the games were more physical than the usual NCAA style?

How the games were called yesterday will have no impact on how the games are called today. The Hawkeyes had better be ready to adapt to how the game they are playing is being called.

Really? Why not? And if you notice, I did say, "And if this trend continues..."
3dsmile.r191677.gif

This post was edited on 3/20 9:20 AM by CoachoftheFuture1

I was starting to wonder. But I don't think they've reached Big ten proportions just yet. A little more physical, maybe.

We'll find out today very early as the second or third game to start the day includes Michigan State.

I really thought it was Big Ten style, at least. I mean guys were all over players out front, on the wings, in the paint...what I saw yesterday, for the most part, seemed like a collision sport. It wasn't basketball, at least not the game Naismith invented, and not the game described in the almost useless rule book.

One tiny example: some big guy for those thugs from Cincy went bouncing into the lane late against Purdue and knocked Hammons back about three feet. Then he did it again and put in a layup. No call. And as you know, Hammons is a load himself. When he's squared up with you and has position established and you are still allowed to collide with him like that...twice...all the way to the rim, well, like I said, that's not basketball, and if that's the way the games are going to go, the Hawkeyes had better grab some mouthpieces and be ready to respond.

Originally posted by CoachoftheFuture1:
I really thought it was Big Ten style, at least. I mean guys were all over players out front, on the wings, in the paint...what I saw yesterday, for the most part, seemed like a collision sport. It wasn't basketball, at least not the game Naismith invented, and not the game described in the almost useless rule book.

One tiny example: some big guy for those thugs from Cincy went bouncing into the lane late against Purdue and knocked Hammons back about three feet. Then he did it again and put in a layup. No call. And as you know, Hammons is a load himself. When he's squared up with you and has position established and you are still allowed to collide with him like that...twice...all the way to the rim, well, like I said, that's not basketball, and if that's the way the games are going to go, the Hawkeyes had better grab some mouthpieces and be ready to respond.
Not sure I can disagree. I wish I was sure. As to Davidson/Iowa, Davidson couldn't get physical with us if they tried.

If Davidson can't get physical, that should be good news for Iowa. I don't think the Zags, should Iowa face them, are known for physical play, either, so maybe the Hawkeyes -- maybe -- are in the right bracket regarding physical play.

I agree with your observation. I was thinking the same thing. This is the most physical tournament I can ever recall. The refs are swallowing their whistles. They obviously have been told to do so since this was evident across multiple regions yesterday. So much for allowing for flow of the game.

This really ruins the sport. It creates for a lot of sloppy play and is not fair to the athletes. You play with an expectation the whole year then when you reach post season they change the rules on you.

You now see guards defending with their hands layed on the opposing guard's midsection at the top of the key. This should be called early in the game and the allow for a free flow of the game. Scoring would increase and make a much better game in my opinion.

I shared the observation. The officials in both tOSU and Purdue games really allowed physical play. Maybe there is a movement to let the players settle it on the court.

Let's hope we get the same kind of crew. Iowa is a very physical team. More so than Davidson and Gonzaga.

Whatever they do, let's just hope for a crew that calls it both ways.

You don't have to be big to get physical. If the refs allow the Davidson players to slap, grab, push, nudge, etc like some teams in the Big Ten play, we might be in trouble because we aren't the type of team that reciprocates that type of play.

Originally posted by Ronman:
You don't have to be big to get physical. If the refs allow the Davidson players to slap, grab, push, nudge, etc like some teams in the Big Ten play, we might be in trouble because we aren't the type of team that reciprocates that type of play.
Amen to that. Fran's teams have always struggled against physical guard play.

Originally posted by HawkAttackDial911:
Originally posted by Ronman:
Amen to that. Fran's teams have always struggled against physical guard play.
Agree. We need to get to the line to score enough to win this game. I swear that refs have been told to let them play so they can keep the heavy commercial slate from pushing games over 2 hours. sucks for the game. bad shooting , low scoring slugfests...will hurt iowa.

We also need to get to the line as much as possible to win... I worry that we can't do that if the refs allow a lot of contact on drives.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT