ADVERTISEMENT

Lone Tree and Highland looking at 4 day school weeks.

Ignorance. Teachers would still be working on the 5th day. I wonder if they will have to go to the building on that day, OR WORK FROM HOME, like the rest of you.
Often I work 6 days a week AWAY FROM HOME. I've never worked from home in my life other than on my own property.

Whole lot of “I remember” and anecdotes in your response.

And do not put me in the “you guys” camp. That’s just you being lazy and already assigning a political affiliation after three exchanges on a website. It’s honestly sad that’s the way you operate.
Republicans made schools political

https://www.thegazette.com/educatio...indicates-she-will-push-for-law-requiring-it/

https://oregoncapitalchronicle.com/...on-wedge-issues-school-choice-parents-rights/

https://edworkforce.house.gov/news/documentsingle.aspx?DocumentID=408583

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/n...losed-three-months-2020-pandemic/69602476007/

It was a legitimate question. Highly acceptable for the discussion. Then you turned it political. Welcome to ignore. Simple as that. Love that button

This is about kids. Don't turn it into a political debate
look into some of the research online

most i've seen shows small dips in test scores at some schools, but no change in others

i wouldn't just assume that 4 day school weeks are automatically worse for children

What do parents with their children during the summer, Christmas vacation, snow days, etc.? You said you don't want a babysitter you want an educator, but your concerns seem to be more about child care.

The time Iowa requires for children to be in school doesn't change with a four day week. The schools will either have longer days or more weeks so the kids will not be shorted time. The benefits for students are more qualified teachers as a 4 day week might entice those teachers to apply at the school even if the pay is lower. For example, this is what the Sidney elementary principal had to say about their staffing problems, "At the elementary, we had four positions that were unfilled this fall," said Wehling. "That resulted in some larger class sizes, getting creative using other staff members who are endorsed in other areas. That obviously creates more workload for other staff members, because they're wearing multiple hats. Of the four openings, we received zero applications."

As for your child care concerns, most schools considering the 4 day option are working on solutions for parents. Sidney is going to expand their before and after school programs to include a full day on the weekday regular school is not in session.
My main concern is the kids education. That is 100% the case. The 4 days that are extended will not equal 5 days of education. Plus the kids will be dog tired and not focused if they go to school from 6:30-4-30/5pm at night when they get off the bus 4 days a week. Not to mention interference with sports/events ect after school.

Are you a teacher? Or family member of a teacher?

Not for long. In the coming years I expect private schools will be popping up throughout Iowa.

What are the numbers you’re expecting? @gohawks50 posted an excellent map showing the current dearth of private schools in Iowa. You seem very bullish this is all going to change soon “in the coming years.” Put a number to it and define what a school is - depending on your answer I’ll bet you $100 to your favorite charity it won’t happen. Quality schools don’t just “pop up” in the likes of Wayne county - so Doris’ repurposed trailer intended solely to grift the grift doesn’t count. But you seem very sure quality private schools are on their way so it should be easy money to a cause you care about.

private-schools-by-county-map-7.jpg

Last edited:
look into some of the research online

most i've seen shows small dips in test scores at some schools, but no change in others

i wouldn't just assume that 4 day school weeks are automatically worse for children
I've researched it a lot actually since my family is likely going to be affected

conservatives are the ones that always bitch about how bad the schools are, but they are the first ones to complain when they have to deal with their snot nosed offspring

I remember a strong conservative push to get kids back in the schools (the same schools they have now complained about the last couple years) during the shut downs because they couldnt handle their kids, or be bothered to help their kids with their online learning.

Face it, you guys will bitch and moan about the schools until you have to deal with your children, then there is much outrage to push those kids back to the schools you bitch about.
They can't or refuse to make this connection.

Often I work 6 days a week AWAY FROM HOME. I've never worked from home in my life other than on my own property.
Good for you, but there's a lot of people who bitch about teacher's time off who work from home. Use the bathroom whenever they want. Go get a snack. Take a nap. It's hypocrisy. Maybe not you, but there's a damn lot of them.

With the number of jobs versus the number of people willing to do the job...the teachers are in control.

Why work in one town 5 days a week when you can go somewhere else, make the same money, and work 4. Basic laws of supply and demand on display here. If you do not have the money to raise pay, figure put another way to attract workers
are they really working 4? or is the 5th day just without kids? prep time/reassessment time?

My main concern is the kids education. That is 100% the case. The 4 days that are extended will not equal 5 days of education. Plus the kids will be dog tired and not focused if they go to school from 6:30-4-30/5pm at night when they get off the bus 4 days a week. Not to mention interference with sports/events ect after school.

I am a retired teacher. There are many studies showing the positives and negatives from a 4 day school week. As a former lower elementary teacher I think longer schools days would be difficult for younger children, but there would be some benefit from a longer weekend as well. Many students often miss school on Mondays or Fridays due to parents taking them on weekend vacations. I don't think the impact on sports or extra curricula activities should be a primary concern. Personally I'm not sure I would have liked a teaching with a 4 day week, but I understand small schools need to be creative in the current environment to fully staff their schools with small budgets.

Since you are against this option, what do you suggest small schools do to attract teachers to lower paying rural districts? What would you support with your vote or tax dollars?

I agree with the main point of this. The problem is, what got us to this point and how do we reverse it? Teachers are fed up. We just lost a BRILLIANT elementary math teacher for another job. Done being a teacher. "I can't do this 16 more years." It's only going to get worse. I see no job - other than Kirk Ferentz' - that gets attacked, WEEKLY, on this site more than teachers.

Reactions: bhawk24bob
Schools should have been open during I covid.

With that, please post some articles about the 4-day school week and Republicans.
Dude, there are examples from republicans, in this thread who are doing exactly what i said they would do in my initial post.

Conservatives bitched about schools not being open during covid.

Then when their kids went bsck to the schools, they started bitching sbout CRT, grooming, books etc.

Then they continue shitting on public schools while ramming this private school voucher through last year because the schools that they wanted their kids to go back to during covid apparently now suck.

And now we go full circle with republicans crying about their kid not being in those crappy public schools for a 5th day

are they really working 4? or is the 5th day just without kids? prep time/reassessment time?
It probably depends on the teacher contract. Most contracts used to state the number of days teachers are contracted for usually 190/191, but 4 day week schools are usually going by hours. Considering Iowa teachers have lost the ability to negotiate most things, the districts will probably make the decision without teacher input.

Dude, there are examples from republicans, in this thread who are doing exactly what i said they would do in my initial post.

Conservatives bitched about schools not being open during covid.

Then when their kids went bsck to the schools, they started bitching sbout CRT, grooming, books etc.

Then they continue shitting on public schools while ramming this private school voucher through last year because the schools that they wanted their kids to go back to during covid apparently now suck.

And now we go full circle with republicans crying about their kid not being in those crappy public schools for a 5th day
It appears you may be the only one crying in this thread while other simply ask questions.

Reactions: Pinehawk
Going to a four day school week is just going to push more families to look into changing schools.

Schools aren't 'babysitters', but having kids in school while parents are working has been a pretty critical part of society for years now. If teachers want to disrupt that norm, they can expect even more blowback as it will negatively impact a lot of families. Many of them whom were already struggling to make ends meet with two parents working.

Going to a four day school week is just going to push more families to look into changing schools.
I could see some parents open enrolling in a neighboring district, but that requires those parents to provide transportation to and from those school districts which might also interfere with their work schedules. As far as transferring to private schools, I would bet the majority of districts looking at the 4 day option are in one of the 41 Iowa counties without a private school.

Lone Tree is 20 minutes from Iowa City, Mid-Prairie, West Liberty, West Branch and more. Highland is similar.
Those families will have options.

Lone Tree is 20 minutes from Iowa City, Mid-Prairie, West Liberty, West Branch and more. Highland is similar.
Those families will have options.
Depends on where the parents work. An additional 40 minutes to and from school twice a day, five days a week will not be possible for every parent especially the low income ones.

Reactions: Tom Paris
Small districts don’t have the money to pay teachers so this is the carrot.

The ramifications? Might have people move from their bedroom towns to larger districts nearby for five days of school.

Test scores will continue to drop. Kids that have no business being left alone will be.

It’s great for teachers. Horrible for the kids development. Kids need consistency and repetition. 4 days on 3 days off isn’t enough and the test scores will prove it out as they drop.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pinehawk
I can get along with the 4-day school week, but I don't want the days extended, I want the school year extended to make up for that lost time. Learning retention is affected by the long summer layoff.

Frankly, our society is going to be adjusting soon enough to a 4-day work week. A standard 4-day school week will propel us closer to that reality.

I can get along with the 4-day school week, but I don't want the days extended, I want the school year extended to make up for that lost time. Learning retention is affected by the long summer layoff.

Frankly, our society is going to be adjusting soon enough to a 4-day work week. A standard 4-day school week will propel us closer to that reality.
I agree 4 day work weeks will be the norm. I also agree you can’t just keep the kids in school for more hours. They will “check out” after a period of time just like office workers.

Developing minds isn’t like making widgets at the factory.

For the record I would prefer to have kids 5 days a week instead of 4 and the other day for meetings and trainings. Kids > Trainings

Reactions: gohawks50
Depends on where the parents work. An additional 40 minutes to and from school twice a day, five days a week will not be possible for every parent especially the low income ones.
It would be a problem. But, a longer drive is a better option than having to try to take a day off every week, or losing a job.

• Haha
Since you are against this option, what do you suggest small schools do to attract teachers to lower paying rural districts? What would you support with your vote or tax dollars?
I would pay more for a good education for my kids. And I vote aswell.

But we will likely just send them to a different district that offers more for our children. Better teachers/programs/facilities. For instance Norwalk/Indianola instead of Martensdale St Marys. I do like the smaller schools myself as a whole but times are changing

It would be a problem. But, a longer drive is a better option than having to try to take a day off every week, or losing a job.
Like I said earlier, most schools considering a 4 day week are looking to provide a child care option for the 5th day. These are the options Lone Tree is considering:

Daycare remained the number one topic of discussion for this sweeping change. Lone Tree Superintendent Tyler Hotz provided some answers for a potential daycare system the school could offer.

First, they could offer an Alternative Programming plan which would last the length of a school day. It would be $40 a day, as recommended by DHS. The reason for the charge is that the school cannot fund it. Instead, it needs to be self-sufficient.

Parents could contact the state to receive help paying for the program.

Parents would drop off their Pre-K through 5th grade students who would be watched by paraeducators. The paras would have micro-credentials and/or certificates that prepare them for the daycare setting.

Another solution included high school-aged students babysitting in order to earn money on their days off from school. Some parents at the previous forum did not like this idea. Either way, Hotz is working to provide a grant which would allow students to attend Kirkwood Community College to receive a child development associate degree which qualifies them to work in daycare.

Many in this thread not sure if this is a problem or not, but damn sure it's the Republicans fault!!

• Wow
I agree 4 day work weeks will be the norm. I also agree you can’t just keep the kids in school for more hours. They will “check out” after a period of time just like office workers.

Developing minds isn’t like making widgets at the factory.
I am curious as to how much more productive people will be (if at all) with all the time spent just making themselves look busy, chit chatting, and in meetings. Get your work done in four days. Less time wasted.

Also, i think it would really benefit people if they spent that 3rd day for rest. i know a lot of people that jam pack so much crap into their weekends that they dont give themselves time to unwind.

All my weekend plans are made on saturday (if i am travelling out of town to see friends/family), and i pretty much spend all day sunday without any obligations. That day of no obligations is pretty non-negotiable to me.

I would pay more for a good education for my kids. And I vote aswell.

But we will likely just send them to a different district that offers more for our children. Better teachers/programs/facilities. For instance Norwalk/Indianola instead of Martensdale St Marys. I do like the smaller schools myself as a whole but times are changing
I see a lot more school consolidations in the near future for small Iowa rural schools. They simply won't be able to survive the current funding situation in Iowa.

How far away are the other districts you are considering?

Like I said earlier, most schools considering a 4 day week are looking to provide a child care option for the 5th day. These are the options Lone Tree is considering:

Daycare remained the number one topic of discussion for this sweeping change. Lone Tree Superintendent Tyler Hotz provided some answers for a potential daycare system the school could offer.

First, they could offer an Alternative Programming plan which would last the length of a school day. It would be $40 a day, as recommended by DHS. The reason for the charge is that the school cannot fund it. Instead, it needs to be self-sufficient.
So, parents will have a new $160 bill per month/per child. For less schooling. And, the school will now have to hire paraeducators and/or kids to actually babysit other kids. At school. Instead of teaching them.
To save money?
It's a further deterioration of the school system, but in this case it's not coming from the State, it's coming directly from the schools.

I see a lot more school consolidations in the near future for small Iowa rural schools. They simply won't be able to survive the current funding situation in Iowa.

How far away are the other districts you are considering?
Another round is coming for sure. Sad thing is a lot of towns cling to the school as their last gasp at relevancy. I have seen knew schools built that no business being built just to try and stay alive. Their enrollment keeps dropping but the dinky town has a nice knew school getting emptier every year.

At some point you will have one or two districts per county. Districts are really feeling the pinch as the number of farmers drop. Less farmers equals less support jobs and small town factories also are decreasing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT