ADVERTISEMENT

Lone Tree and Highland looking at 4 day school weeks.

So, parents will have a new $160 bill per month/per child. For less schooling. And, the school will now have to hire paraeducators and/or kids to actually babysit kids. At school. Instead of teaching them.
To save money?
It's a further deterioration of the school system, but in this case it's not coming from the State, it's coming directly from the schools.
A 4 day week doesn't save that much money, but it does provide a perk to offer potential employees. As far as less schooling, that is not the case the Iowa time requirements remain the same whether you go 4 or 5 days a week. Parents could possibly be saving on before or after school care cost since the school days will likely be longer. If there is additional day care costs they would need to weighed against the cost of time/money spent transporting their children to and from those private schools you mentioned.

Reactions: B1GDeal
Another round is coming for sure. Sad thing is a lot of towns cling to the school as their last gasp at relevancy. I have seen knew schools built that no business being built just to try and stay alive. Their enrollment keeps dropping but the dinky town has a nice knew school getting emptier every year.

At some point you will have one or two districts per county. Districts are really feeling the pinch as the number of farmers drop. Less farmers equals less support jobs and small town factories also are decreasing.
I think districts do that in hopes of when the consolidation comes their school will get to house the new district.

Reactions: onlyTheObvious
It will cost families money and completely disrupt their way of life and their childcare arrangements.

I guess we'll see what happens, but I think it will end up being a net negative. And, in many cases will just be a step along the way to those schools continuing to shrink before eventually closing.

I am curious as to how much more productive people will be (if at all) with all the time spent just making themselves look busy, chit chatting, and in meetings. Get your work done in four days. Less time wasted.

Also, i think it would really benefit people if they spent that 3rd day for rest. i know a lot of people that jam pack so much crap into their weekends that they dont give themselves time to unwind.

All my weekend plans are made on saturday (if i am travelling out of town to see friends/family), and i pretty much spend all day sunday without any obligations. That day of no obligations is pretty non-negotiable to me.
I’d be curious to know if this will ease a jam packed weekend. I’m guessing the extra day off just gives them another day to pack in more travel ball, or the possibility to travel farther.
Do you really think parents and kids are just going to stay home and do nothing. Ha!

Reactions: auntie_fah
Martensdale St Marys is currently strongly considering it aswell. Unfortunately to me the vote seems to sway towards what the teachers would want and not what the students need.

95% of teachers there voted to proceed with 4 day weeks. I mean, who wouldn't rather work 4 days a week instead of 5? The decision should be about what's best for the children!

For parents with small children it's even more of a strain. Do you take a day off work now? Pay for a day of extra day care now?

Work 5 days a week like the rest of us. Take care of the kids. Don't hold them back and delay their progression
Pretty sure the teachers still work on the 5th day. It’s used for lesson plan development.

And in any case, pretty much every school that has made the switch has reported a largely positive outcome.

Reactions: Tom Paris
I’d be curious to know if this will ease a jam packed weekend. I’m guessing the extra day off just gives them another day to pack in more travel ball, or the possibility to travel farther.
Do you really think parents and kids are just going to stay home and do nothing. Ha!
Probably not. Part of me is glad that my son is involved with music and doesnt participate in sports so i didnt have to deal with the travelling club sports. Its exhausting listening to baseball or volleyball parent talk about how they are travelling and out of town every weekend.

Pretty sure the teachers still work on the 5th day. It’s used for lesson plan development.

And in any case, pretty much every school that has made the switch has reported a largely positive outcome.
There are only four school districts in Iowa with 4 day weeks at this point, and they are all quite small.

There are only four school districts in Iowa with 4 day weeks at this point, and they are all quite small.
True but there’s a bunch in Missouri. And yes it’s mostly rural areas. It’s not coming to the big schools any time soon because they don’t have to compete for teacher talent in the same way rural schools do.

Reactions: gohawks50
So, parents will have a new $160 bill per month/per child. For less schooling. And, the school will now have to hire paraeducators and/or kids to actually babysit other kids. At school. Instead of teaching them.
To save money?
It's a further deterioration of the school system, but in this case it's not coming from the State, it's coming directly from the schools.
youtube name GIF

Are you a teacher? Just curious

I see a lot more school consolidations in the near future for small Iowa rural schools. They simply won't be able to survive the current funding situation in Iowa.

How far away are the other districts you are considering?
7 miles and 9 miles. One is on my work commute. Won't be easy but it's doable

Reactions: gohawks50
Like I said earlier, most schools considering a 4 day week are looking to provide a child care option for the 5th day. These are the options Lone Tree is considering:

Daycare remained the number one topic of discussion for this sweeping change. Lone Tree Superintendent Tyler Hotz provided some answers for a potential daycare system the school could offer.

First, they could offer an Alternative Programming plan which would last the length of a school day. It would be $40 a day, as recommended by DHS. The reason for the charge is that the school cannot fund it. Instead, it needs to be self-sufficient.

Parents could contact the state to receive help paying for the program.

Parents would drop off their Pre-K through 5th grade students who would be watched by paraeducators. The paras would have micro-credentials and/or certificates that prepare them for the daycare setting.

Another solution included high school-aged students babysitting in order to earn money on their days off from school. Some parents at the previous forum did not like this idea. Either way, Hotz is working to provide a grant which would allow students to attend Kirkwood Community College to receive a child development associate degree which qualifies them to work in daycare.
If they will already be going to the school for daycare why not just get educated while they are there? Makes sense right?

This thread is going exactly how i thought.

Its all about needing babysitters for a lot of these folks in order for them to desperately want to send their kids to these woke, CRT, marxist grooming public schools for 5 days instead of 4

Going to a four day school week is just going to push more families to look into changing schools.

Schools aren't 'babysitters', but having kids in school while parents are working has been a pretty critical part of society for years now. If teachers want to disrupt that norm, they can expect even more blowback as it will negatively impact a lot of families. Many of them whom were already struggling to make ends meet with two parents working.
For some, it is just a babysitter. Those are the kids that a private school would never take and that parent couldn't afford. Those kids are the kids that struggle at public school (as they would struggle anywhere).

No, they'll have to hire more people, creating more staffing issues. And, costing the school more money. Unless 40/kid/week is going to cover all the new expenses.
Job creators are a good thing in small towns. Like I said this isn't necessarily a money saver, it's a way to attract more qualified teachers to rural areas.

The daycare argument falls apart unless you are also advocating for year round school.

This topic (like most) is not black and white like most try to make it. It’s an example of more than one way to do things and schools should be free to make an informed decision with feedback from their parents.

Reactions: ButtersHawk
Martensdale St Marys is currently strongly considering it aswell. Unfortunately to me the vote seems to sway towards what the teachers would want and not what the students need.

95% of teachers there voted to proceed with 4 day weeks. I mean, who wouldn't rather work 4 days a week instead of 5? The decision should be about what's best for the children!

For parents with small children it's even more of a strain. Do you take a day off work now? Pay for a day of extra day care now?

Work 5 days a week like the rest of us. Take care of the kids. Don't hold them back and delay their progression
I don't know that I've seen a 4 day model that gives teachers the day off, unless they are going to a more year round model.

Also, how would their progression be delayed?

Last edited:
Job creators are a good thing in small towns. Like I said this isn't necessarily a money saver, it's a way to attract more qualified teachers to rural areas.
Do you really believe that though? That a teacher is going to move to Mormon Trail, Iowa for an additional day of office time instead of teaching? It's really a 'benefit' for current teachers, and an attempt to keep them (and their school) afloat. But, instead I think it will do the opposite, and many of those small schools doing this won't be around in 10 years.

Lone Tree is 20 minutes from Iowa City, Mid-Prairie, West Liberty, West Branch and more. Highland is similar.
Those families will have options.
you really think that the parent that see's school as a "babysitter" is able to do that. lol.
There are a good number of parents that don't give a F about their kid. I can name 5 of my freshman that play video game past 3 in the morning nightly. I have 2 freshman that just dropped out of school to go "online" because they missed 90% of the school days. There are several other kids that miss 2-3 days a week. Tell me their parents care.

Do you really believe that though? That a teacher is going to move to Mormon Trail, Iowa for an additional day of office time instead of teaching? It's really a 'benefit' for current teachers, and an attempt to keep them (and their school) afloat. But, instead I think it will do the opposite, and many of those small schools doing this won't be around in 10 years.
I think some might. Where I taught we had a few teachers that retired from teaching in Nebraska and came to teach in Iowa because they could continue to collect their Nebraska version of IPERS while also getting paid as an Iowa teacher. I also think that having an extra day to prep and have Inservice without students would be worth accepting a smaller salary for some teachers.

you really think that the parent that see's school as a "babysitter" is able to do that. lol.
There are a good number of parents that don't give a F about their kid. I can name 5 of my freshman that play video game past 3 in the morning nightly. I have 2 freshman that just dropped out of school to go "online" because they missed 90% of the school days. There are several other kids that miss 2-3 days a week. Tell me their parents care.
Not all parents care. Those kids will fall through the cracks with a four day school week even more than they do now. They'll be at home on Fridays, alone or with their siblings. Not being educated, and potentially getting into (more) trouble.

• Haha
Reactions: Tom Paris
The daycare argument falls apart unless you are also advocating for year round school.

This topic (like most) is not black and white like most try to make it. It’s an example of more than one way to do things and schools should be free to make an informed decision with feedback from their parents.

Very well said. Im not opposed to 4 day weeks but I'd need to know what that 5th day is for and if it is year round. My kids go to public school. I make good enough money to most likely afford a daycare fee but I'm not well off enough to pay for private school for 2 kids either. My young boys are now getting interested in activities which i fully support but yet again there is another fee right there.
Lots of gray matter in this argument.

Reactions: WildTurk
My main concern is the kids education. That is 100% the case. The 4 days that are extended will not equal 5 days of education. Plus the kids will be dog tired and not focused if they go to school from 6:30-4-30/5pm at night when they get off the bus 4 days a week. Not to mention interference with sports/events ect after school.

Are you a teacher? Or family member of a teacher?
The kids will adjust and be just fine. Not an issue.

I honestly think a better school week would be M/Tues/Thurs/Friday as full days as normal. With Wednesday being an ala carte/per necessary basis: kids that need reteaching 1/1 time can have it. kids in good standing don't need to be there. Inservice would come out of those days. In all honesty, looking at the variety of ways schools cover inservice, this isn't a big loss of time.
That was our covid schedule and it was the best academic year i've had.

If I had my way schools would be year round. It’s better for learning and takes away the summer melt.

And what does being conservative and asking about “what parents will do” in this situation have to do with each other? There isn’t a link but you’re trying soooo hard to make one.
Most year-round school calendars (4 or 5 day a week schedule) are broken up into fall, spring and summer terms. Students attend class for 5 weeks before a 3 week half-term break before attending more 5 weeks of classes to end the term. Typically there is a half term break in December and April with a longer term (summer break) of 6-weeks. Some districts use a modified model in summer months where they go 3 days per week in summer and instead of term breaks basically have 1 week off most months with 2 weeks off at the holidays. I guess my tl:dr is regardless of calendar any change is going to result in the shifting of daycare, camps and other services to accommodate kids.

The kids will adjust and be just fine. Not an issue.
Test scores will likely prove you to be wrong.

But I would say “ good parenting is 99.9% of the battle “.

This country would be a lot better off if every 18 year old was offered $20,000 to have a vasectomy or their tubes tied.

I would even toss in the reverse procedure for free after 4 years.

Good for you, but there's a lot of people who bitch about teacher's time off who work from home. Use the bathroom whenever they want. Go get a snack. Take a nap. It's hypocrisy. Maybe not you, but there's a damn lot of them.
My wife's school is short on subs, so now she usually has to cover a class during her prep period. Today she had a sub lined up for a half day as she has to take a relative to an important appointment and she text that they needed her sub to cover another class so she can't leave until noon, which will be cutting it close. She usually leaves home by 6:15am and often doesn't eat lunch and I'm surprised if she is home by 5pm.

Three words: Open Gym Friday

Iowa will become a national powerhouse in developing basketball, wrestling, volleyball, baseball, etc. because the kids will be doing nothing but playing sports all day, every Friday. Mandatory.

Three words: Open Gym Friday

Iowa will become a national powerhouse in developing basketball, wrestling, volleyball, baseball, etc. because the kids will be doing nothing but playing sports all day, every Friday. Mandatory.
Having supervised noon recess in the gym, we might not have enough survivors to become a powerhouse in any sport!

This is a growing trend it appears. I believe Eldon started 4 day weeks recently. Rural areas are suffering from an inability to hire and retain young teachers to replace retiring staff.
Schools will need to come up with solutions for working parents. Some options are discussed in the article.
Well, Kim’s idea of taking tax money from “public schoools” and gifting it to private/parochial schools is tge MAGA answer! I am sure some how it will work just give it time and more (tax) money! Kim and the Republicans know best!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT