ADVERTISEMENT

Lone Tree and Highland looking at 4 day school weeks.

lucas80

HR King
Gold Member
Jan 30, 2008
This is a growing trend it appears. I believe Eldon started 4 day weeks recently. Rural areas are suffering from an inability to hire and retain young teachers to replace retiring staff.
Schools will need to come up with solutions for working parents. Some options are discussed in the article.

With the pay for teachers going to be very tough to get anyone in the field.

Getting subs is going to be even more difficult. I looked into it recently and figured I could take a few days off a month and sub since they are needed so badly. Probably make just as much giving plasma as being a sub.

With the pay for teachers going to be very tough to get anyone in the field.

Getting subs is going to be even more difficult. I looked into it recently and figured I could take a few days off a month and sub since they are needed so badly. Probably make just as much giving plasma as being a sub.
On top of it the gutting of the AEA and from what I hear teachers contracts are under review now. I’m assuming the long game for the Republicans is weakening the public schools to drive more (desired) people to private school.

This is a growing trend it appears. I believe Eldon started 4 day weeks recently. Rural areas are suffering from an inability to hire and retain young teachers to replace retiring staff.
Schools will need to come up with solutions for working parents. Some options are discussed in the article.
I know Sidney Iowa school board was also exploring the idea of a 4 day week.

Update: I guess they approved going to a 4 day week.

On top of it the gutting of the AEA and from what I hear teachers contracts are under review now. I’m assuming the long game for the Republicans is weakening the public schools to drive more (desired) people to private school.
Are there many private schools in Iowa’s rural areas?

Martensdale St Marys is currently strongly considering it aswell. Unfortunately to me the vote seems to sway towards what the teachers would want and not what the students need.

95% of teachers there voted to proceed with 4 day weeks. I mean, who wouldn't rather work 4 days a week instead of 5? The decision should be about what's best for the children!

For parents with small children it's even more of a strain. Do you take a day off work now? Pay for a day of extra day care now?

Work 5 days a week like the rest of us. Take care of the kids. Don't hold them back and delay their progression

Are there many private schools in Iowa’s rural areas?
Number of private schools per county:

private-schools-by-county-map-7.jpg

Work 5 days a week like the rest of us. Take care of the kids. Don't hold them back and delay their progression

With the number of jobs versus the number of people willing to do the job...the teachers are in control.

Why work in one town 5 days a week when you can go somewhere else, make the same money, and work 4. Basic laws of supply and demand on display here. If you do not have the money to raise pay, figure put another way to attract workers

It seems like my kid in CR has 4 day weeks or a half day on fridays every week.

And im waiting for the conservatives to complain about the 4 day school week just like they complained about online learning during covid now that their snot nosed offspring will be at home an extra day. Its not about the schools, they just want a babysitter.

Martensdale St Marys is currently strongly considering it aswell. Unfortunately to me the vote seems to sway towards what the teachers would want and not what the students need.

95% of teachers there voted to proceed with 4 day weeks. I mean, who wouldn't rather work 4 days a week instead of 5? The decision should be about what's best for the children!

For parents with small children it's even more of a strain. Do you take a day off work now? Pay for a day of extra day care now?

Except they have to recruit teachers...so it is about what they want

And im waiting for the conservatives to complain about the 4 day school week just like they complained about online learning during covid now that their snot nosed offspring will be at home an extra day. Its not about the schools, they just want a babysitter.
It already happened before i posted:

Honestly, it's pretty amazing that there are any teachers left in Iowa with opinions like this seemingly being mainstream and the dumbsh!ts in Des Moines doing everything they can to make it worse.

I'm not looking for a babysitter. I'm looking for an educator. I'm willing to pay more for a good education for my kids. Why don't you sit this one out
Youre just mad cause i called you out. Your post, not mine:

Youre just mad cause i called you out. Your post, not mine:
It’s an honest question which you’re not giving an honest answer but complaining about “what conservatives will say.” A change to a 4 day week is a massive shift from the traditional 5 day. What are any parents suppose to do regardless of their political affiliation. I would imagine this move would hurt lower socioeconomic peoples more.

But you know, conservatives

It’s an honest question which you’re not giving an honest answer but complaining about “what conservatives will say.” A change to a 4 day week is a massive shift from the traditional 5 day. What are any parents suppose to do regardless of their political affiliation. I would imagine this move would hurt lower socioeconomic peoples more.

Hell, make the school year 5 day, year round then if thats your concern

Also, its not what conservatives “will” say, its about what they have already said in this thread

Reactions: Tom Paris

I imagine local employers will need to adjust their expectations or try to hire exclusively from a pool of people without children.

Hell, make the school year 5 day, year round then if thats your concern

Also, its not what conservatives “will” say, its about what they have already said in this thread

If I had my way schools would be year round. It’s better for learning and takes away the summer melt.

And what does being conservative and asking about “what parents will do” in this situation have to do with each other? There isn’t a link but you’re trying soooo hard to make one.

My thoughts exactly. Thank you

And what does being conservative and asking about “what parents will do” in this situation have to do with each other? There isn’t a link but you’re trying soooo hard to make one.
conservatives are the ones that always bitch about how bad the schools are, but they are the first ones to complain when they have to deal with their snot nosed offspring

I remember a strong conservative push to get kids back in the schools (the same schools they have now complained about the last couple years) during the shut downs because they couldnt handle their kids, or be bothered to help their kids with their online learning.

Face it, you guys will bitch and moan about the schools until you have to deal with your children, then there is much outrage to push those kids back to the schools you bitch about.

What's best for the children is to have a culture of respect for educators and that includes their pay.

We don't, so we get stuff like this.

Again, this isn't going to hurt my kids. I live in the DSM burbs. I have tons of options. If you live outside of those 80/35 corridors though you are probably going to just have to suck it up.

Wasn’t an iowa school recently trying a 4 day school week and decided to switch back to 5 days a week or am I’m dreaming.

I think schools and jobs should switch to 4 day work weeks. wtf does America love working so much.
Plus if we switch to 4 day work weeks, the people working multiple jobs to survive might be able to gain a little ground on everyone else.

How feasible would that "5th" day be for an on campus daycare type system? Teachers could rotate and work a 5th day once a month for extra $. IDK I am just spitballing here.

It was a legitimate question. Highly acceptable for the discussion. Then you turned it political. Welcome to ignore. Simple as that. Love that button

This is about kids. Don't turn it into a political debate
Sorry i hurt your feelings by accurately predicting the response, and then using your own words to back up my claim.

Reactions: Tom Paris
conservatives are the ones that always bitch about how bad the schools are, but they are the first ones to complain when they have to deal with their snot nosed offspring

I remember a strong conservative push to get kids back in the schools (the same schools they have now complained about the last couple years) during the shut downs because they couldnt handle their kids, or be bothered to help their kids with their online learning.

Face it, you guys will bitch and moan about the schools until you have to deal with your children, then there is much outrage to push those kids back to the schools you bitch about.

Whole lot of “I remember” and anecdotes in your response.

And do not put me in the “you guys” camp. That’s just you being lazy and already assigning a political affiliation after three exchanges on a website. It’s honestly sad that’s the way you operate.

What's best for the children is to have a culture of respect for educators and that includes their pay.

Again, this isn't going to hurt my kids. I live in the DSM burbs. I have tons of options. If you live outside of those 80/35 corridors though you are probably going to just have to suck it up.
I have 90 acres outside Des Moines with all the peace and quiet we desire. It would take a lot to convince my family to move to suburbs of Des Moines. We will figure out the schooling part.

It just is unfortunate that the children are losing out on education. The teachers should be paid more. I agree 100%

Ignorance. Teachers would still be working on the 5th day. I wonder if they will have to go to the building on that day, OR WORK FROM HOME, like the rest of you.

Not for long. In the coming years I expect private schools will be popping up throughout Iowa.

The same conservatives who vote for people who vote against helping families with daycare costs are now bitching about having to pay more for daycare. You can't make this stuff up.

It was a legitimate question. Highly acceptable for the discussion. Then you turned it political. Welcome to ignore. Simple as that. Love that button
What do parents with their children during the summer, Christmas vacation, snow days, etc.? You said you don't want a babysitter you want an educator, but your concerns seem to be more about child care.

The time Iowa requires for children to be in school doesn't change with a four day week. The schools will either have longer days or more weeks so the kids will not be shorted time. The benefits for students are more qualified teachers as a 4 day week might entice those teachers to apply at the school even if the pay is lower. For example, this is what the Sidney elementary principal had to say about their staffing problems, "At the elementary, we had four positions that were unfilled this fall," said Wehling. "That resulted in some larger class sizes, getting creative using other staff members who are endorsed in other areas. That obviously creates more workload for other staff members, because they're wearing multiple hats. Of the four openings, we received zero applications."

As for your child care concerns, most schools considering the 4 day option are working on solutions for parents. Sidney is going to expand their before and after school programs to include a full day on the weekday regular school is not in session.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT