ADVERTISEMENT

Loneliness poses risks as deadly as smoking: surgeon general

cigaretteman

HB King
May 29, 2001
Widespread loneliness in the U.S. poses health risks as deadly as smoking a dozen cigarettes daily, costing the health industry billions of dollars annually, the U.S. surgeon general said Tuesday in declaring the latest public health epidemic.

About half of U.S. adults say they’ve experienced loneliness, Dr. Vivek Murthy said in an 81-page report from his office.

“We now know that loneliness is a common feeling that many people experience. It’s like hunger or thirst. It’s a feeling the body sends us when something we need for survival is missing,” Murthy told The Associated Press in an interview. “Millions of people in America are struggling in the shadows, and that’s not right. That’s why I issued this advisory to pull back the curtain on a struggle that too many people are experiencing.”

More coverage
The declaration is intended to raise awareness around loneliness but won’t unlock federal funding or programming devoted to combatting the issue.

Research shows that Americans, who have become less engaged with worship houses, community organizations and even their own family members in recent decades, have steadily reported an increase in feelings of loneliness. The number of single households has also doubled over the last 60 years.

But the crisis deeply worsened when COVID-19 spread, prompting schools and workplaces to shut their doors and sending millions of Americans to isolate at home away from relatives or friends.

People culled their friend groups during the coronavirus pandemic and reduced time spent with those friends, the surgeon general’s report finds. Americans spent about 20 minutes a day in person with friends in 2020, down from 60 minutes daily nearly two decades earlier.

The loneliness epidemic is hitting young people, ages 15 to 24, especially hard. The age group reported a 70% drop in time spent with friends during the same period.

Loneliness increases the risk of premature death by nearly 30%, with the report revealing that those with poor social relationships also had a greater risk of stroke and heart disease. Isolation also elevates a person’s likelihood for experiencing depression, anxiety and dementia, according to the research. Murthy did not provide any data that illustrates how many people die directly from loneliness or isolation.

The surgeon general is calling on workplaces, schools, technology companies, community organizations, parents and other people to make changes that will boost the country’s connectedness. He advises people to join community groups and put down their phones when they’re catching up with friends; employers to think carefully about their remote work policies; and health systems to provide training for doctors to recognize the health risks of loneliness.

...but by all means lets continue pushing towards a society of work from home and the end of brick and mortar stores. What could go wrong?

Man, I miss going to the Mall as a kid with a roll of quarters.

5670995583_0e6520b465_o.jpg

...but by all means lets continue pushing towards a society of work from home and the end of brick and mortar stores. What could go wrong?

Man, I miss going to the Mall as a kid with a roll of quarters.

5670995583_0e6520b465_o.jpg

Pushing working in an office is a psychotic way to combat loneliness. That's not exactly a traditional lifestyle. Most people here used to be farmers

Pushing working in an office is a psychotic way to combat loneliness. That's not exactly a traditional lifestyle. Most people here used to be farmers
I wouldn't say psychotic, but isn't a blanket answer. I work from home and make a strong effort to get out of the house as often as possible--schedule monthly team luncheons, church, coaching youth sports, double date nights, etc. I have friends who work from home who love it and others who are miserable.

My wife is currently looking for employment outside the home, she's tired of being here all day--she misses the camaraderie she once had with her fellow 4th grade teachers.

Reactions: bcherod and Moral
When you don’t want people to have a sense of purpose and perspective. Their lives will be empty and meaningless. That’s the kind of America Bernie Sanders and the Squad want. They want people to feel alone so they look to the government for support. Then Bernie and the Squad can control their lives.

There are some people here in town where I live that when they die, it will be weeks before anyone realizes they are missing.

• Sad
Reactions: cigaretteman
When you don’t want people to have a sense of purpose and perspective. Their lives will be empty and meaningless. That’s the kind of America Bernie Sanders and the Squad want. They want people to feel alone so they look to the government for support. Then Bernie and the Squad can control their lives.
I think you're missing the mark on technology's impact. When you grow up in a world where everything is done with a few clicks on your phone, it doesn't exactly develop resilience. The generation that came through and just behind the Great Depression was a resilient and strong generation. Fast forward to today and college campuses are overwhelmed with kids suffering from stress and anxiety. Wanna watch a kid melt down? Turn off the Wi-Fi.

I think you're missing the mark on technology's impact. When you grow up in a world where everything is done with a few clicks on your phone, it doesn't exactly develop resilience. The generation that came through and just behind the Great Depression was a resilient and strong generation. Fast forward to today and college campuses are overwhelmed with kids suffering from stress and anxiety. Wanna watch a kid melt down? Turn off the Wi-Fi.

Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs.

People do bad with too much self actualization.

Guess I'm a weird one.

Some days, I'm angered by the continual disruption of my feelings of loneliness!

Put that in your pipe and smoke it, surgeon general.

Reactions: cigaretteman
It is a weird transition. In college you are surrounded by roomates, girlfriends, party friends, etc. Then after college the pool starts shrinking until you end up with a small handful of long time friends. Most of mine now live far away. We communicate by text regularly, but its not the same. My lady friend and I spend time once or twice a week with one another.

My dogs are my best friends and companions

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT