ADVERTISEMENT

Longevity genes, no, not for the penis

Yes my friend I am familiar with these proteins. We use some in our stem cell differentiation approaches. Take a look at this. Charles Brenner, who used to be the head of Dept at Iowa in Biochemistry has bet his career on this and it is showing dividends. The supplement isn't cheap but it's there otc.

Been using nmn for a couple years, it’s what NR turns into

Reactions: GOHOX69
Body building probably doesn't jive with longevity. There are studies that high amino acid diets (mainly BCAAs) beneficial to build large muscle mass are detrimental to longevity. As with most diet, lifestyle, and aging data, it is very hard to tease out with so many confounding variables.

If you really want to live longer, getting ultra ripped probably isn't helpful. Neither is high intensity training. Zone 2 training and resistance training to keep lean muscle mass are your best bet. Like everything else, moderation is probably the key.
I’m trying to have my cake and eat it too

Yes my friend I am familiar with these proteins. We use some in our stem cell differentiation approaches. Take a look at this. Charles Brenner, who used to be the head of Dept at Iowa in Biochemistry has bet his career on this and it is showing dividends. The supplement isn't cheap but it's there otc.

I don't know much about this one, but Peter Attia did cover it in an article last year. His take home was that it showed nowhere near the same improvement as rapamycin and he wanted to see more studies before recommending it.

On a side note since it is the topic of this thread, The Drive #148 goes into a number of longevity drugs and therapies.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
I don't know much about this one, but Peter Attia did cover it in an article last year. His take home was that it showed nowhere near the same improvement as rapamycin and he wanted to see more studies before recommending it.

On a side note since it is the topic of this thread, The Drive #148 goes into a number of longevity drugs and therapies.

Personally, I think reversing ageing is at its infancy. At best. Chances are many of us will be creamed in accidents or some other unfortunate scenarios.

Not counting the people still alive who haven't reached the upper age yet, all but one person in my dad's family (going back 4 generations) have either died at/younger than 53, or lived to be 85. The only exception to that was his next younger brother who died at 75 from an accident at home.

That includes his mom and dad's sides. That's going back through his great grandparents and all of their siblings.

So, I just turned 53...if I make it to next March, I'm good for another 30+ years.

Genes, better (or worse) than any drug.

This is a good article on Zone 2 training.

There is also a good Peter Attia podcast with Inigo San Millan that covers it. Here is an article from Inigo:

Reactions: nu2u

Maybe I missed it, but what is the name of the supplement?

Darn. I spent all my money on those pills that make you lose 60 pounds in 2 weeks with no exercise or dieting.

Reactions: goldmom
My great grandfather lived to be 104. He stopped smoking when he was 99 to prove a point to my uncle. I’m guessing living in his native Norway, eating seafood and generally being active were major contributors vs unlocking genetics

I am an easy mark. I just bought some on Amazon. Hope Brenner gives you a commission. Anything else I have to do to make the most of it? I have a pretty reasonable diet and I am a pretty consistent moderate exerciser. Do I need to do the fast?

I am an easy mark. I just bought some on Amazon. Hope Brenner gives you a commission. Anything else I have to do to make the most of it? I have a pretty reasonable diet and I am a pretty consistent moderate exerciser. Do I need to do the fast?
He left Iowa a while ago. He's at the City of Hope in LA, so no I am not waiting for a commission haha. I think intermittent fasting and reducing carbs works best.

Reactions: nolesincebirth
HGH
I’ve read that if you have any cancer cells in your body it will likely accelerate their growth.
Maybe pre-cancerous as well.
That would make sense to me. Was hoping you weren't talking about the supplement I just bought.

Not counting the people still alive who haven't reached the upper age yet, all but one person in my dad's family (going back 4 generations) have either died at/younger than 53, or lived to be 85. The only exception to that was his next younger brother who died at 75 from an accident at home.

That includes his mom and dad's sides. That's going back through his great grandparents and all of their siblings.

So, I just turned 53...if I make it to next March, I'm good for another 30+ years.

Genes, better (or worse) than any drug.
Epigenetics

Whoa. Tell me more please!
Many cancer patients, on chemo, take boluses of vitamins. Some of those very vitamins counteract the chemo, which work by creating free radicals which are more dangerous to cancer cells. Cancer cells lack the exquisite free radical scavenging system normal healthy cells are so in essence by taking vitamins and not informing your oncologist, in essence, you are potentially deep sixing your treatment.

Body building probably doesn't jive with longevity. There are studies that high amino acid diets (mainly BCAAs) beneficial to build large muscle mass are detrimental to longevity. As with most diet, lifestyle, and aging data, it is very hard to tease out with so many confounding variables.

If you really want to live longer, getting ultra ripped probably isn't helpful. Neither is high intensity training. Zone 2 training and resistance training to keep lean muscle mass are your best bet. Like everything else, moderation is probably the key.
I had thought HIT did pay big dividends that way.

I know that in reality it's not more exercise/lifting = better. Diminishing returns and then a reversal of returns (to a minor degree) at some point.

Shoot. Was hoping it was the other way around :(. I can do that though. The 54 hours.... not so much.

Fasting gets easier the longer you do it. Think of all the years you've trained your body and metabolism to expect food at a certain interval. I used to have a hard time going 4 hours without eating something. Now, I don't really think much about food the vast majority of the day and am never painfully hungry. I do a 20/4 daily fast and will occasionally do 24-36 hours.

Is that what you use? ;)

609404b534af8d001859bca9

Photo Tim Morris

I’d recommend the book, LIFESPAN, by Dr. David Sinclair.

See Peter Attia episodes #27 and #70 for interviews with him.

Caveat that these episodes are now 3-4 years old.

I feel like a broken record.

If you're interested in living longer and the science behind aging without bullshit, Peter Attia's The Drive podcast is probably the best source of information out there. He's pretty unbiased, he doesn't sell supplements or receive any kickbacks for stuff he talks about, and he generally lets his guests (the experts) drive much of the discussion.

Even his COVID episodes were pretty great in terms of staying far above any of the political narratives and just discussing science with people who understand science. If you listen to any of it and feel there is a political slant, it's probably because you're a (likely non-self aware) political hack.

I'll also add that his yearly membership ($149) is excellent for the AMA episodes and his notes from any of his podcasts (charts, graphs, videos, and also references).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT