ADVERTISEMENT

Longshot London Hotel Question - Doubletree Victoria or The Dixon Tower Bridge Autograph Collection?

LesClaypool

HR Heisman
Jan 12, 2004
Any HROTers ever stay at either of these two hotels by chance?
  • The Dixon, Tower Bridge Autograph Collection
  • Doubletree Hilton Victoria
If so, any opinions one way or another? I realize there are a thousand hotels in London, but I'm definitely going to stay at one of these two. Just not sure which.

Currently booked at the Doubletree for the sole reason that you can walk next door to Victoria Station when we depart for Gatwick airport on our final day...which is a pretty huge perk/consideration.

I don't have any status w/Hilton but I'm Titanium Elite w/Marriott...so it's sort of killing me not to stay at one of their properties.

On top of that, the Doubletree looks like, well, a Doubletree. Pretty drab and boring.

The Dixon, on the other hand, looks pretty cool - a lot more character, older building, cooler architecture, more interesting overall AND it's a Marriott...but it's pretty far away from everything, meaning we'll have to take a 25-minute cab to Victoria Station on our departure day. Since we need to get on the 6:30AM Gatwick Express train already, the extra time for the cab ride means we'll have to get up even earlier. Not fun, but defnitely not a deal-breaker.

1st world problems and CSB.

Is there not a Holiday Inn Express?
not-helpful-az2pxx.jpg

Reactions: tarheelbybirth
The Dixon gives you more of the historic London experience, more than worth the inconvenience of a cab right at the end of the trip

How many nights?

I always stay Autograph when given the chance. Location matters, but if it’s only the location for the final morning, then go with the Dixon.

Reactions: LesClaypool
Here's our itinerary. It's me and my best friend. He's never traveled abroad before and is pretty apprehensive about international travel, in general. He likes beer, soccer & music. So we're seeing a concert, doing a Beatles tour, seeing 2 soccer matches and doing at least 3, possibly 4, beer tours. I'm pumped. We take off on Saturday!

Day 1: Orlando
  • Overnight flight to London Heathrow LHR from Orlando MCO
Day 2: London
  • Hotel: 2-nights Renaissance St. Pancras International
  • 3.5-hour Historical London Walking Pub Tour 2:00-5:30
  • Meeting some Londoners that I met in Prague a few years ago for dinner somewhere in Covent Garden
Day 3: London
  • 3-hour Beatles Walking Tour 11:00-2:00
  • Museums (some combo of Natural History, V&A and British Museum)
Day 4: Brussels
  • Eurostar from St. Pancras to Brussels 6:45AM
  • Hotel: 3-nights The Dominican (a Marriott Design hotel)
  • Private Guided Beer & Brewery Tour of Brussels 1:00-4:00
  • Belgium vs Cyprus Euro 2020 Qualfier 8:30-10:30
Day 5: Bruges
  • Full day guided group tour of Bruges 9:00-5:00
  • Evening beer tour of Brussels 6:30-8:30
Day 6: Ghent
  • Day trip to Ghent
  • 2-hour group walking tour of the city at 10:00 or at 1:00 depending on when we get there
  • No evening plans in Ghent yet
Day 7: London
  • Eurostar from Brussels back to St. Pancras 7:56AM
  • Hotel 2 nights at either Doubletree Hilton or Dixon Autograph
  • Emirates Stadium Tour
  • Borough Market
  • Brick Lane
  • Concert: "Darlingside" 7:30PM
Day 8: London
  • Arsenal vs Southampton match 3:00PM
  • Live music somewhere that evening
Day 9: London/Orlando
  • Gatwick express 6:30AM
  • Flight home 10:10 AM
  • Land at 2:55PM in Orlando
HOTELS:
Renaissance St. Pancras International
images

The Dominican Brussels
images

The Dixon
ak-londx-exterior-1.png

6bd2ae8f_z.jpg

or

The Doubletree Victoria
7cc68803d32f9b9b33e6ed5712391f18.jpg

Just looking at the Doubletree makes me think "Boooooring!" but it is in a great spot for tube proximity and sightseeing as well as on departure day next to the train station.

Last edited:
Any HROTers ever stay at either of these two hotels by chance?
  • The Dixon, Tower Bridge Autograph Collection
  • Doubletree Hilton Victoria
If so, any opinions one way or another? I realize there are a thousand hotels in London, but I'm definitely going to stay at one of these two. Just not sure which.

Currently booked at the Doubletree for the sole reason that you can walk next door to Victoria Station when we depart for Gatwick airport on our final day...which is a pretty huge perk/consideration.

I don't have any status w/Hilton but I'm Titanium Elite w/Marriott...so it's sort of killing me not to stay at one of their properties.

On top of that, the Doubletree looks like, well, a Doubletree. Pretty drab and boring.

The Dixon, on the other hand, looks pretty cool - a lot more character, older building, cooler architecture, more interesting overall AND it's a Marriott...but it's pretty far away from everything, meaning we'll have to take a 25-minute cab to Victoria Station on our departure day. Since we need to get on the 6:30AM Gatwick Express train already, the extra time for the cab ride means we'll have to get up even earlier. Not fun, but defnitely not a deal-breaker.

1st world problems and CSB.

Doubletree is a better location for that last day and there is tons to do and see right in that area. I'd go with that but I don't think I'd be able to stay away from the golden handcuffs of the Bonvoy place. And the Dixon is right next to the Borough Market and closer to Brick Lane (is that a Saturday? I love the Brick Lane markets).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT