ADVERTISEMENT

PJ raises the red flag

It will take a while, but sooner or later the college presidents, the NCAA or God forbid the congress will have to make major changes. If not, we will have one super conference of about 25 teams and the rest of the teams will divide into conferences with their own set of rules like full or half scholarships and title ix will have a very hard time.

I honestly get more pleasure out of referring AAU Traveling hoops and umpiring baseball now that I’m partially retired than I do the college athletics clown show.

Well, of course you get more pleasure when you're part of the actual event. That is cool that you ref and umpire. Much more exciting than sitting in the stands or watching on tv with the rest of us rubes.

Reactions: skydog0784
As stated earlier, little odd that Fleck brought this up the week after blowing a 21 point lead to the worst team in the B1G.
Guy is a born whiner.

This. NIL is going to ruin college sports.
Going to?

Free agency IE the non-stop & non-penalty transfer portal, combined with NIL, is what is truly ruining college sports.

Pretty sure I read that schools, or at least NIL sponsors, can reach out to athletes at other schools to entice them with money & incentives to transfer there while the player's sports season is still occurring.

Outside tampering is fine and dandy, but heaven forbid a college athlete bets on a sport they don't participate in.

Going to?

Free agency IE the non-stop & non-penalty transfer portal, combined with NIL, is what is truly ruining college sports.

Pretty sure I read that schools, or at least NIL sponsors, can reach out to athletes at other schools to entice them with money & incentives to transfer there while the player's sports season is still occurring.

Outside tampering is fine and dandy, but heaven forbid a college athlete bets on a sport they don't participate in.
Or get a hamburger!

I know people will say Minneapolis/St Paul is a pro sports market, but I still think with all of the Fortune 500 companies & alumni in the Minneapolis/St Paul area, if the Golden Goofs got their act together, they could be doing well in the NIL/pay to play arena.

Apparently they don't have a @Tx_Hawk leading things.

A sample of the companies based in Minneapolis/St Paul:

Target
3M
General Mills
Best Buy
US Bank
United Healthcare
Cargill

And then you have the billionaires who own the Vikings, Wild, Twins (local owner), Timberwolves and Loons (Major League Soccer; local owner).

Imagine if the Goofs tapped into the potential; it could take their recruiting to a new level.
You're probably right, but those companies you named are all public companies, and as such are all trying their hardest to book profits. How does paying NIL help them grow and be more profitable? If you owned stock in those companies and live in say, Iowa, would you be ok having "your" company drop a few million into Minnesota football? I know I wouldn't.

The sources of big NIL money are private businesses and individual boosters. I'm sure there are plenty of those in Minnesota too, but are they passionate about Goofer FB? Doesn't seem so.

There hasn't been parity in CF in a long time, if ever. But now it is most certainly gone. Schools like Minny, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Purdue, Maryland, NW, Rutgers - just took a step back in terms of being able to compete with the big boys of CF. But, hey, at least the players are happy. :rolleyes:

Reactions: onlyTheObvious
Minneapolis corporations get luxury suites at NFL and NHL to impress their clients.

Gophers don’t impress anybody.

Last edited:
Governing bodies not figuring out a way to cap legal NIL budgets truly screwed up.

Sure cheaters would still circumvent but that is because the NCAA became a push over and didn’t SMU some programs.

Genie is so far out of the bottle now and legal fees to rope this back in seem unattainable.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT