ADVERTISEMENT

PJ raises the red flag

HawkNorth

HR All-State
Nov 24, 2003
During a booster meeting this week, PJ lamented the Gophs lack of NIL money urging his audience to pony up or risk losing more players to the portal. It’s a problem that everybody but the bluest of blue bloods has to deal with. It’s kind of shocking how many players that the Gophs have lost over the last couple of years. It’s going to happen to the Hawkeyes and nearly every other team as time goes on. Pretty sad that this is the state of affairs in college football right now. Here’s the article from the Mpls Strib:

P.J. Fleck says Gophers need more NIL money or they'll become 'a Triple-A ball club for somebody else'​

The Gophers football team has lost some transfers that coach P.J. Fleck said came down to name, image and likeness (NIL) money, where "we didn't pay him enough."​

By Randy Johnson
September 28, 2023 — 11:46am
merlin_71907973.jpg

As maroon-and-gold-clad diners lunched at the Tipsy Steer in Roseville on Tuesday, P.J. Fleck delivered a dose of reality regarding the state of college football in 2023 during his weekly appearance there for his radio show.

The Gophers coach was discussing true freshman running back Darius Taylor, the Detroit native who ranks second in the nation in rushing yards per game and chose Minnesota over Michigan and other prominent programs. Fleck took a quick detour and let it be known just how important name, image and likeness (NIL) financial deals have become in keeping players like Taylor on campus.

"We had players that were here that are now gone and playing at another school that should be here playing right now — because NIL," Fleck said. "We didn't pay him; we didn't pay him enough. That is the fact of life, and I know we all laugh at it, but that is a fact.

"So, if we want to keep players ... all these guys we have, they won't be here next year," Fleck continued. "I'm making sure everybody understands. ... They won't be here. We'll be a Triple-A ballclub for somebody else. That is the reality and the truth of the situation. So, please contact Dinkytown Athletes."

Dinkytown Athletes is an NIL collective officially endorsed by the Gophers athletic department. Its goal is to help student-athletes develop opportunities with businesses and sponsors so they can make money off their name, image and likeness. Fans can become members by donating money and can support the collective by purchasing goods and services. Gophers kicker Dragan Kesich, for example, has "Serbian Hammer" T-shirts and hoodies selling on Athletes Thread, an NIL-focused business.

Fleck's timing might rub some the wrong way in the wake of the collapse at Northwestern, but his point is valid. The Gophers don't have a Phil Knight or a T. Boone Pickens to fund their NIL efforts. Instead, a grassroots approach is needed.

Linked hand-in-hand with NIL deals in changing the face of college sports is the transfer portal, with which the NCAA allows undergraduates to transfer once without the penalty of sitting out a season at their new school. It's created a Wild West scenario where teams have to fend off opponents waiting to raid their rosters.

Fleck didn't name the player to which he referred during the radio show, but the Gophers have had prominent players leave for other programs for a variety of reasons. Here are some that are making noticeable impacts:

Mar'Keise "Bucky" Irving, RB, Oregon: When the Gophers lost their top four running backs during the 2021 season, Irving, a true freshman, and Ky Thomas, a redshirt freshman, filled in admirably. Thomas led the team with 824 rushing yards, while Irving was second with 699. Thomas left for Kansas shortly after being named offensive MVP of the Guaranteed Rate Bowl, while Irving entered the portal in the spring of 2022.

Irving ended up at Oregon and in August 2022 told DuckTerritory, a 247Sports website, that a reason for his transfer was to play in an offense that better used his versatile skills. If NIL money had an impact, it went unsaid. Irving led the Ducks with 1,058 rushing yards and added 31 receptions last year. Through four games this season, he's rushed 37 times for 305 yards and three touchdowns and has 15 receptions for 114 yards for the ninth-ranked Ducks.

Thomas left Kansas after the 2022 season and transferred to Kent State.

The Rutgers trio: Defensive back Michael "Flip" Dixon is Rutgers' third-leading tackler with 28 stops and has one interception. Offensive guard Curtis Dunlap Jr. is in his second season as a starter, while defensive lineman Mayan Ahanotu has eight tackles.

Three at South Florida: Linebacker DJ Gordon IV is the Bulls' second-leading tackler with 25 and has 5½ tackles for loss. Defensive lineman Rashad Cheney has 10 tackles, 1½ for loss. Wide receiver Mike Brown-Stephens has one catch.

Other prominent former Gophers

Georgia Tech LB Braelen Oliver: 10 tackles.

Kansas DE Austin Booker: 11 tackles, 3½ sacks.

Kansas DL Gage Keys: four tackles.

SMU LB JaQwondis Burns: five tackles, one sack.

TCU WR Dylan Wright: two catches, 44 yards, one TD.

Texas DT Trill Carter: two tackles, one QB hurry.

Western Michigan LB Donald Willis: 13 tackles, one sack.

West Virginia DB Beanie Bishop: 21 tackles, two interceptions.

Calling this college football is a joke anymore. It's not. It is semi pro teetering on the edge of being professional. Deion sanders was asked the other day about his son going pro early. He said why would he when he is making as much money at CU as he would if we were drafted outside the top 5 in the draft. Only reason he would go early is if he were a top 5 draft pick.

College football is a joke right now. Honestly, with Iowa sucking, I have paid very little attention to it this season. Being out at the soccer and lacrosse fields with my kids all day on Saturdays certainly helps.

Calling this college football is a joke anymore. It's not. It is semi pro teetering on the edge of being professional. Deion sanders was asked the other day about his son going pro early. He said why would he when he is making as much money at CU as he would if we were drafted outside the top 5 in the draft. Only reason he would go early is if he were a top 5 draft pick.

College football is a joke right now. Honestly, with Iowa sucking, I have paid very little attention to it this season. Being out at the soccer and lacrosse fields with my kids all day on Saturdays certainly helps.

Ironic post coming from a guy who calls himself @luvmyhawks

Not really. Made the name like 20 years ago. Still luv my hawks and, is football the only sport Iowa plays? Also, never said I didn't watch Iowa. I do. Just said I don't pay nearly the amount of attention to college football as I used to.

Who are you trying to convince here, me or you?

My kids are all grown up and gone. I've honestly been tempted to just go to a baseball field on the weekend to watch kids play again, I miss that crap so much. Enjoy it brother!

"We didn't pay him; we didn't pay him enough. That is the fact of life, and I know we all laugh at it, but that is a fact. "So, if we want to keep players ... all these guys we have, they won't be here next year," Fleck continued. "I'm making sure everybody understands. ... They won't be here. We'll be a Triple-A ballclub for somebody else. That is the reality and the truth of the situation. So, please contact Dinkytown Athletes." Dinkytown Athletes is an NIL collective officially endorsed by the Gophers athletic department.

I know people will say Minneapolis/St Paul is a pro sports market, but I still think with all of the Fortune 500 companies & alumni in the Minneapolis/St Paul area, if the Golden Goofs got their act together, they could be doing well in the NIL/pay to play arena.

Apparently they don't have a @Tx_Hawk leading things.

A sample of the companies based in Minneapolis/St Paul:

Target
3M
General Mills
Best Buy
US Bank
United Healthcare
Cargill

And then you have the billionaires who own the Vikings, Wild, Twins (local owner), Timberwolves and Loons (Major League Soccer; local owner).

Imagine if the Goofs tapped into the potential; it could take their recruiting to a new level.

• Haha
Reactions: Here_4_a_Day
I know people will say Minneapolis/St Paul is a pro sports market, but I still think with all of the Fortune 500 companies & alumni in the Minneapolis/St Paul area, if the Golden Goofs got their act together, they could be doing well in the NIL/pay to play arena.

Apparently they don't have a @Tx_Hawk leading things.

A sample of the companies based in Minneapolis/St Paul:

Target
3M
General Mills
Best Buy
US Bank
United Healthcare
Cargill

And then you have the billionaires who own the Vikings, Wild, Twins (local owner), Timberwolves and Loons (Major League Soccer; local owner).

Imagine if the Goofs tapped into the potential; it could take their recruiting to a new level.
I have family in the Cities area and it's almost impressive just how much MSP doesn't care about the Rodents. Your point stands, but even when they're good, it's not even a bandwagon thing.

The NIL haters are now using their favorite coach PJ Fleck to support their message. LOL

I have family in the Cities area and it's almost impressive just how much MSP doesn't care about the Rodents. Your point stands, but even when they're good, it's not even a bandwagon thing.

they have to tap into the people who do care

there's plenty of money; luckily they haven't figured this whole NIL/pay to play thing out

Let's fast forward to where they are all University employees with contracts and a union.
Nah, let's light speed jump past that to where NIL dies and we go back to the way things were but under my guidance, which includes a mandate that Iowa wins the national championship at some point in our lifetimes.............................................................................because f*** Wisconsin, that's why.

:)

Reactions: Franisdaman
My kids are all grown up and gone. I've honestly been tempted to just go to a baseball field on the weekend to watch kids play again, I miss that crap so much. Enjoy it brother!

I am trying to soak it all in as much as I can. My kids are 12, 13 and 16. This last weekend, after 6 hours of being out and about I thought to myself that there is no better way for me to spend a beautiful saturday than this. Then, it hit me that I am only a few more years away before it will be done. I have spent the last 10 years of my life out on the fields on Fall saturdays. It was a bit of a somber moment.

How long before even the 2nd and 3rd stringers with the top programs earn more NIL $$ than starters for the lower half of the conference?
The raids have just started.

Reactions: iahawkeyes17
I call BS on whiny PJ. He says those things about being a farm league for the BIG BOYS but then look at the list of players and where they have transferred to. Yes, one went to Oregon but the Goofs lost 3 players to Rutgers, 3 to Kansas, 3 to freaking South Florida, and the likes of Georgia Tech, SMU, Western Michigan.

C'mon PJ, those programs aren't exactly the BIG BOYS. In fact, it seems for the most part the BIG BOYS don't even want your Gopher players.

Pretty soon the HC position will be nothing more than fundraising to buy players lol. Strange times we are in. My lack of interest in college ball has nothing to do with NIL, but the pathetic effort of our offense so far and the prior years. Once we have a new regime in place I’ll be much more excited and interested.

During a booster meeting this week, PJ lamented the Gophs lack of NIL money urging his audience to pony up or risk losing more players to the portal. It’s a problem that everybody but the bluest of blue bloods has to deal with. It’s kind of shocking how many players that the Gophs have lost over the last couple of years. It’s going to happen to the Hawkeyes and nearly every other team as time goes on. Pretty sad that this is the state of affairs in college football right now. Here’s the article from the Mpls Strib:

P.J. Fleck says Gophers need more NIL money or they'll become 'a Triple-A ball club for somebody else'​

The Gophers football team has lost some transfers that coach P.J. Fleck said came down to name, image and likeness (NIL) money, where "we didn't pay him enough."​

By Randy Johnson
merlin_71907973.jpg

As maroon-and-gold-clad diners lunched at the Tipsy Steer in Roseville on Tuesday, P.J. Fleck delivered a dose of reality regarding the state of college football in 2023 during his weekly appearance there for his radio show.

The Gophers coach was discussing true freshman running back Darius Taylor, the Detroit native who ranks second in the nation in rushing yards per game and chose Minnesota over Michigan and other prominent programs. Fleck took a quick detour and let it be known just how important name, image and likeness (NIL) financial deals have become in keeping players like Taylor on campus.

"We had players that were here that are now gone and playing at another school that should be here playing right now — because NIL," Fleck said. "We didn't pay him; we didn't pay him enough. That is the fact of life, and I know we all laugh at it, but that is a fact.

"So, if we want to keep players ... all these guys we have, they won't be here next year," Fleck continued. "I'm making sure everybody understands. ... They won't be here. We'll be a Triple-A ballclub for somebody else. That is the reality and the truth of the situation. So, please contact Dinkytown Athletes."

Dinkytown Athletes is an NIL collective officially endorsed by the Gophers athletic department. Its goal is to help student-athletes develop opportunities with businesses and sponsors so they can make money off their name, image and likeness. Fans can become members by donating money and can support the collective by purchasing goods and services. Gophers kicker Dragan Kesich, for example, has "Serbian Hammer" T-shirts and hoodies selling on Athletes Thread, an NIL-focused business.

Fleck's timing might rub some the wrong way in the wake of the collapse at Northwestern, but his point is valid. The Gophers don't have a Phil Knight or a T. Boone Pickens to fund their NIL efforts. Instead, a grassroots approach is needed.

Linked hand-in-hand with NIL deals in changing the face of college sports is the transfer portal, with which the NCAA allows undergraduates to transfer once without the penalty of sitting out a season at their new school. It's created a Wild West scenario where teams have to fend off opponents waiting to raid their rosters.

Fleck didn't name the player to which he referred during the radio show, but the Gophers have had prominent players leave for other programs for a variety of reasons. Here are some that are making noticeable impacts:

Mar'Keise "Bucky" Irving, RB, Oregon: When the Gophers lost their top four running backs during the 2021 season, Irving, a true freshman, and Ky Thomas, a redshirt freshman, filled in admirably. Thomas led the team with 824 rushing yards, while Irving was second with 699. Thomas left for Kansas shortly after being named offensive MVP of the Guaranteed Rate Bowl, while Irving entered the portal in the spring of 2022.

Irving ended up at Oregon and in August 2022 told DuckTerritory, a 247Sports website, that a reason for his transfer was to play in an offense that better used his versatile skills. If NIL money had an impact, it went unsaid. Irving led the Ducks with 1,058 rushing yards and added 31 receptions last year. Through four games this season, he's rushed 37 times for 305 yards and three touchdowns and has 15 receptions for 114 yards for the ninth-ranked Ducks.

The Rutgers trio: Defensive back Michael "Flip" Dixon is Rutgers' third-leading tackler with 28 stops and has one interception. Offensive guard Curtis Dunlap Jr. is in his second season as a starter, while defensive lineman Mayan Ahanotu has eight tackles.

Three at South Florida: Linebacker DJ Gordon IV is the Bulls' second-leading tackler with 25 and has 5½ tackles for loss. Defensive lineman Rashad Cheney has 10 tackles, 1½ for loss. Wide receiver Mike Brown-Stephens has one catch.

Sounds like AAA deflection after gagging your ass off in your "turn around game" vs. NW the week after getting ass kicked by NC. Hey...someone else around here has a "turn around game" tomorrow after getting their ass kicked last week, but it slips my mind who it is??

By Randy Johnson
merlin_71907973.jpg

Orrrrr.....it could be these warm weather guys getting a taste of a minisoda winter or two and bidding Flake, adios--and/or discovering what a ****ing flake he really is.

The NFL has a salary cap. For "college" football to survive, there must be a NIL cap. Since anything goes now, I'm guessing hookers and blow on recruiting trips are a thing again? Only question is, who pays Buffy and Brandy??!

Is it time to call the NCAA and college athletic departments "for profit" business and start taxing them?
In a few years will it be the Swarm Hawkeyes and not the Iowa Hawkeyes?

Reactions: Klaus 7196
This. I don’t know anyone from up there that cared about the Goofs, except the people who went to college there.
They are fair weather fans. Pop out of the woodwork once in a while when things look like they might be good, but crawl back into their hole when the worm turns.

Reactions: Here_4_a_Day
They are fair weather fans. Pop out of the woodwork once in a while when things look like they might be good, but crawl back into their hole when the worm turns.
That and they run the risk of getting their ass shot off, held up or car jacked anywhere within a 10 mile radius of the stadiette that Mace built!

This is where I’m at too. I’ll watch IA hoops (and football occasionally) and UNI hoops but not really vested in it beyond watching the games like I used to.

I honestly get more pleasure out of referring AAU Traveling hoops and umpiring baseball now that I’m partially retired than I do the college athletics clown show.

How long before even the 2nd and 3rd stringers with the top programs earn more NIL $$ than starters for the lower half of the conference?
The raids have just started.
And when they don't see results they get discouraged that their money is not winning championships.

I think there will be some burnout after awhile. The rich blue bloods will be very hard to overtake.

Reactions: Klaus 7196
Fortune 500 companies have shareholders to keep happy and supporting sports collectives does not achieve this.

Minnesota needs to at least try to learn from schools like Oregon and attempt to take advantage of having Fortune 500 companies in their back yard.

Nike may not pay directly to collectives but they are signing athletes to NIL deals.

And Phil Knight and former Nike executives launched an Oregon focused NIL company. Imagine if former executives of General Mills, Target, US Bank, etc who are also Minny alumni did the same thing where PJ could then tell 4 and 5 star recruits that he was after that there would be deals lined up (with General Mills, Target etc) once signed and on campus? The Minny focused NIL company would, of course, then be in touch with these recruits.

All it takes is ONE PERSON who thinks outside the box to take charge. Imagine if Minny had a Brad Heinrichs ( @Tx_Hawk ) ? Brad is the CEO of SWARM, of course.

Full list of athletes Nike has signed to NIL deals:

Story on Oregon alumni starting an NIL company:

They need to call it what it is. Pay for play. NIL my butt.

there's no question it's pay for play and with the transfer portal, you get to be an unrestricted free agent one time.

Hunter Dickinson admitted that he was not getting paid enough at Michigan. He became an unrestricted free agent by entering the transfer portal. Kentucky did not guarantee enough money; Kansas did. He's now a Jayhawk.

Minnesota needs to at least try to learn from schools like Oregon and attempt to take advantage of having Fortune 500 companies in their back yard.

Nike may not pay directly to collectives but they are signing athletes to NIL deals.

And Phil Knight and former Nike executives launched an Oregon focused NIL company. Imagine if former executives of General Mills, Target, US Bank, etc who are also Minny alumni did the same thing where PJ could then tell 4 and 5 star recruits that he was after that there would be deals lined up (with General Mills, Target etc) once signed and on campus? The Minny focused NIL company would, of course, then be in touch with these recruits.

All it takes is ONE PERSON who thinks outside the box to take charge. Imagine if Minny had a Brad Heinrichs ( @Tx_Hawk ) ? Brad is the CEO of SWARM, of course.

Full list of athletes Nike has signed to NIL deals:

Story on Oregon alumni starting an NIL company:

You missed Cargill.
If minny got their alumni really involved they would be tough.

Reactions: Franisdaman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT