ADVERTISEMENT

Looking to next year for the men's team

I really doubt that Freeman ever develops a 3 point shot. He’s not a particularly good free throw shooter. But the way he uses his feet and hand around the basket he doesn’t need to.

Watching Harding and Freeman play together is a joy. Like watching Stockton and Malone. Worth 2-4 layups a game.
I actually think he has a pretty nice FT stroke. His percentage is decent at 67%. I do agree that he has a ways to go as an outside shooter.

Reactions: sober_teacher
Hardings defense changed the game. Before he got in they went into the post and we had no answer for it. He kept swiping at the ball anytime the big on his side of the court got the ball and you could see it made them uncomfortable. They started missing shots and it got our overall defense going. The anouncers even said his contribution was more than just a couple good assist and a couple made shots. It was the overall effort on defense, that changed the game.

I actually think he has a pretty nice FT stroke. His percentage is decent at 67%. I do agree that he has a ways to go as an outside shooter.
As I've said in other threads, last year at Moline, you could count on one hand the number of shots he made away from the basket. He just wasn't asked to do more then rebound and attack the basket on offense.
Now I know from practice video that he practiced a lot with Brock, shooting shots away from the basket and I bet he does the same this year. By next year you may see the fruit of his labor, he doesn't have a bad shot.

Not disagreeing with you & Freeman's going to have a great college career. But if wants to get to the NBA, he'll need that 3 point shot. Doesn't need to be at Luka's level as he has better quickness & lateral movement to be a better defender, but he needs to have that threat.

I saw your point above and I agree. He will be another Garza. Great player in college but not in the NBA unless more develops. That is not taking a shot at Freeman at all. He is just in the wrong era of basketball.

Reactions: LukaDuka
I saw your point above and I agree. He will be another Garza. Great player in college but not in the NBA unless more develops. That is not taking a shot at Freeman at all. He is just in the wrong era of basketball.
Garza doesn't play because of his defense.

Garza even being in the NBA is a miracle with his limited athleticism, he's so skilled at at shooting the ball that he's hanging on.

Owen is way more athletic than Garza but won't ever shoot that well.

His potential path to the NBA will be different whether he gets there or not.

Mobility is huge on both ends and he's been flashing some very impressive mobility recently.

He will have to become a guy who can switch a screen and defend a guard.

If he can do that he's got a good chance.

They are completely different players but freeman is tons more athletic and is a legit shot blocker who runs the floor like a gazelle. I’m sure he will have some semblance of an outside shot in a few years. Hell, Keegan shot 29% from three his freshman year and look at him now.

They are completely different players but freeman is tons more athletic and is a legit shot blocker who runs the floor like a gazelle. I’m sure he will have some semblance of an outside shot in a few years. Hell, Keegan shot 29% from three his freshman year and look at him now.

Yeah but Keegan could shoot before that. He just was adjusting to college ball.

My comparison isn't meaning they are the same player. Freeman has a lot more agility, speed and athleticism than Garza. I still can't see Freeman guarding bigs in the NBA right now and not having an outside shot will hurt. Again, this is not a shot at either player. Freeman is my favorite dude on the team right now and Garza is one of my all time favorites because he out worked everyone.

My comparison isn't meaning they are the same player. Freeman has a lot more agility, speed and athleticism than Garza. I still can't see Freeman guarding bigs in the NBA right now and not having an outside shot will hurt. Again, this is not a shot at either player. Freeman is my favorite dude on the team right now and Garza is one of my all time favorites because he out worked everyone.
It's not guarding bigs that matters, bigs pretty much just catch lobs anymore.

What matters is whether he can defend guards.

I’m sure with time he can develop an outside shot, at least mid range. We shall see. If not still has a nice tool box.

Again, not well stated by me. That's what I was meaning. Bigs by height only. So many of those guys are so gifted at 7 ft. It's not just the Greek Freak that can take people off the bounce from outside. Then he will have to defend on a switch in the pick and roll game.

Garza doesn't play because of his defense.

Garza even being in the NBA is a miracle with his limited athleticism, he's so skilled at at shooting the ball that he's hanging on.

Owen is way more athletic than Garza but won't ever shoot that well.

His potential path to the NBA will be different whether he gets there or not.

Mobility is huge on both ends and he's been flashing some very impressive mobility recently.

He will have to become a guy who can switch a screen and defend a guard.

If he can do that he's got a good chance.
Garza doesn't play much for Minnesota because Rudy Gobert has been in the NBA since 2013/14 season, is 7-1 and weights 260lbs, and is being paid 41 million dollars this season, Naz Reid has been in the league for 4 years and is being paid nearly 13 million dollars this season, if you want the reason why Luka Garza doesn't get any playing time it's because of the money the organization is paying Rudy and Naz. It's all because of the money and has nothing to do with how Luka plays defense. Who in the NBA plays defense anyway. Heck, if you just look at Gobert, Reid, and Garza, Garza is absolutely the better offensive player of the three, but that's the NBA, lot's of players get lost in the shuffle because of the stupid amount of money this players are paid.
The Timberwolves are also in first place in the Northwest division, they have no reason to make any roster changes any time soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: BirdistheWord
Again, not well stated by me. That's what I was meaning. Bigs by height only. So many of those guys are so gifted at 7 ft. It's not just the Greek Freak that can take people off the bounce from outside. Then he will have to defend on a switch in the pick and roll game.
If he can effectively switch screens he'll have a decent shot at the league I think.

Right now Owen is better than Keegan was as a freshman and yet I feel like he's just scratching the surface.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
If he can effectively switch screens he'll have a decent shot at the league I think.

Right now Owen is better than Keegan was as a freshman and yet I feel like he's just scratching the surface.
Keegan would have been just as good as a freshman if Fran had let him have the same opportunity as Fran is giving Owen, the difference is that Iowa at that time had Connor, C.J. Frederick, and Patrick that Fran insisted on playing a lot more minutes then Keegan. Who would you have played? Keegan would have been a no brainer in my world. It was coaching malpractice 101.

Keegan would have been just as good as a freshman if Fran had let him have the same opportunity as Fran is giving Owen, the difference is that Iowa at that time had Connor, C.J. Frederick, and Patrick that Fran insisted on playing a lot more minutes then Keegan. Who would you have played? Keegan would have been a no brainer in my world. It was coaching malpractice 101.
I agree, not starting Keegan and not playing Kris at all was a huge missed opportunity.

Luka just isn't explosive enough for the nba. He's a minus in that area. That isn't Freemans issue. I don't recall Garza blocking many shots. Freeman can move quickly and is explosive enough to block shots. That will help in the nba. If he can develop a mid range and at least get to a respectable level with the 3 ball he will probably get more minutes than Garza does.
Garza blocked shots his senior year. His problem was perimeter defense where he was completely helpless due to lack of athleticism. His defense is what keeps him glued to the bench at the NBA level.

Keegan did start some games that year when Fredrick got injured and just wasn't particularly impactful. He got plenty of minutes that year just wasn't quite ready to dominate. If he'd have dominated, Fran would have played him more.

I can't see him leaving Iowa, Iowa has invested 3 and a half years in Riley and at 7 foot he is the tallest player on the roster. I can see him starting along with Owen and Payton on the front line along with Dix and Tony if he comes back or Brock if he doesn't.
We'll see by June if Riley sticks around, I know I'm in the minority on this subject but I just think that makes Iowa so much more dynamic and a heck of a better rebounding team.
Dembele will get bigger and stronger next year. He has a nice shot and will only get better. Tadjo is long and athletic, I see him having an impact on the boards and in the fast break. I had great hopes for Riley but he just hasn't developed. Watch the interaction with teammates, I don't see him being as close with the team as in the past.

Reactions: sober_teacher
I can't see him leaving Iowa, Iowa has invested 3 and a half years in Riley and at 7 foot he is the tallest player on the roster. I can see him starting along with Owen and Payton on the front line along with Dix and Tony if he comes back or Brock if he doesn't.
We'll see by June if Riley sticks around, I know I'm in the minority on this subject but I just think that makes Iowa so much more dynamic and a heck of a better rebounding team.
I agree.

Yesterday should give us a glimpse of the future. Fran played Freeman a lot. He is playing Dembele more now. I'm glad because Krikke is a liability defensively, so when he's not scoring, it isn't pretty. Harding had more minutes yesterday (9 minutes), should be more like 15. Pryce had more minutes and does play better defense than his brother. Dix is really coming on and a good defender. Some nice pieces for the future. Next year we will be better with Koch, Tadlo and hopefully a solid PG prospect.

Garza doesn't play much for Minnesota because Rudy Gobert has been in the NBA since 2013/14 season, is 7-1 and weights 260lbs, and is being paid 41 million dollars this season, Naz Reid has been in the league for 4 years and is being paid nearly 13 million dollars this season, if you want the reason why Luka Garza doesn't get any playing time it's because of the money the organization is paying Rudy and Naz. It's all because of the money and has nothing to do with how Luka plays defense. Who in the NBA plays defense anyway. Heck, if you just look at Gobert, Reid, and Garza, Garza is absolutely the better offensive player of the three, but that's the NBA, lot's of players get lost in the shuffle because of the stupid amount of money this players are paid.
The Timberwolves are also in first place in the Northwest division, they have no reason to make any roster changes any time soon.
They are loaded ahead of him and would add KAT as a PF or Center and earns $36MM per year. You would think there would be more playing time for Garza on another team.

Last edited:
Reactions: Terrykohawk
Yesterday should give us a glimpse of the future. Fran played Freeman a lot. He is playing Dembele more now. I'm glad because Krikke is a liability defensively, so when he's not scoring, it isn't pretty. Harding had more minutes yesterday (9 minutes), should be more like 15. Pryce had more minutes and does play better defense than his brother. Dix is really coming on and a good defender. Some nice pieces for the future. Next year we will be better with Koch, Tadlo and hopefully a solid PG prospect.
Pryce is underwhelming and has the frame for the West Coast Conference. I do like heavy Dix and freeman minutes and more Dembele and Harding.

Garza blocked shots his senior year. His problem was perimeter defense where he was completely helpless due to lack of athleticism. His defense is what keeps him glued to the bench at the NBA level.
Agreed and his lack of athleticism and quickness is the reason his defense isn't adequate. Freeman doesn't have near the problem Garza has in that regard

If Mulvey does not qualify for significant PT next season, he needs to move on.

Dembele has a LOT of work to get to even decent as to offense. Shooting 40% from 2 (decent), but 33% from the line and 24% from 3. Freeman would be a terror if he can get to shooting >40% from 12-15 feet, and I can't see any reason he can't do that.

Dembele has a LOT of work to get to even decent as to offense. Shooting 40% from 2 (decent), but 33% from the line and 24% from 3. Freeman would be a terror if he can get to shooting >40% from 12-15 feet, and I can't see any reason he can't do that.
You don't need every player to be good on offense though.

Most college basketball teams aren't playing their bigs for scoring.

So getting back to next year. Pat has already stated he was not using a COVID year, Tony may still. If Tony stays....

Freeman
Dembele
Sandfort
Dix
Perkins

Harding plays PG, Perkins slides to 2 or Dix stays in.
Pryce subs for brother.
Tadjo and Koch sub in front court.
Would love a PG portal target that could start, and for Bowen to move on.
Would like a PF transfer and Mulvey to move on.

Reactions: LukaDuka
Keegan did start some games that year when Fredrick got injured and just wasn't particularly impactful. He got plenty of minutes that year just wasn't quite ready to dominate. If he'd have dominated, Fran would have played him more.

One problem with your logic is Keegan should have started over CMAC at the PF position---it isn't take out Freedrick, keep starting CMAC, and play Keegan.

Nobody was guarding CMAC that year so it was 4 on 5 with CMAC in lineup. Frederick being out took out 1 shooter, and CMAC slid over to 2-guard and it was still 4 on 5 with 1 less shooter and Fredrick's absense made everyone less effective.

The other issue is you apparently don't give a chit about defense. Keegan was outstanding defender/rebounder at the PF. CMAC was a below the rim, undersized PF, with a bad shot.

I guess if you are a McCaffery family member, it does make sense to start CMAC over a NBA 1st round pick Keegan. Also you keep 1st round NBA Kris Murray 100% on the bench so that he can't backup up Keegan aft PF and just be 6'8, athletic, and defend/rebound. It all works out better for Fran and family if you don't play Kris at all because then you can say he's not ready and no one can say otherwise because their is zero film on him. Then you play PMAC off the bench along with CMAC as starter.

So getting back to next year. Pat has already stated he was not using a COVID year, Tony may still. If Tony stays....

Freeman
Dembele
Sandfort
Dix
Perkins

Harding plays PG, Perkins slides to 2 or Dix stays in.
Pryce subs for brother.
Tadjo and Koch sub in front court.
Would love a PG portal target that could start, and for Bowen to move on.
Would like a PF transfer and Mulvey to move on.
Iowa luck will have pmac staying and Tony in the portal, ugh!!

• Sad
Dembele will get bigger and stronger next year. He has a nice shot and will only get better. Tadjo is long and athletic, I see him having an impact on the boards and in the fast break. I had great hopes for Riley but he just hasn't developed. Watch the interaction with teammates, I don't see him being as close with the team as in the past.
So you're at Iowa practices every day and is privy to Riley's development....cool. Who does Owen go up against in practice now that Riley is no longer considered a viable option to play for Iowa next year?
Maybe Riley is so happy on the bench because he knows he is going to transfer at the end of the season. Never thought about that before. Thanks for the insight!

So you're at Iowa practices every day and is privy to Riley's development....cool. Who does Owen go up against in practice now that Riley is no longer considered a viable option to play for Iowa next year?
Maybe Riley is so happy on the bench because he knows he is going to transfer at the end of the season. Never thought about that before. Thanks for the insight!
I have not been to an Iowa men’s basketball practice since 1987, but my intuition tells me Mulvey will not play a significant role going forward. He could get some spot minutes and focus on rebounding, but hard to imagine more than that. If he does play a large role I hope he has improved immensely vs we don’t have anyone else to turn to.

Perkins and pmac need to leave.
I could see Perkins transferring to a team that has a chance to make a deep run in the NCAAs, where he plays a key support role as a starter or 6th man.

I could see McCaffery transferring to a smaller school, where he has a chance to get away from the bright lights of the Big Ten and the weight of his father’s shadow, where there is less pressure, and he can just play for the joy of the game.

Ultimately, I hope they both make a decision that is right for them. They are both Hawkeyes, and I am a fan of both.

Don’t think it works well if you want Harding in the game, if he plays then Dix or Perk has to sit unless you have 2 good bigs in the game, Hawks only have Freeman
There are 80 minutes available at guard, and 120 minutes on the perimeter. Iowa is a better team with Perkins, although he doesn't need to be playing 35 min. Dix can play 1-3 against most teams, which gives Fran a lot of flexibility on the perimeter. I like the Sandfort bros getting most of the minutes at 3, although Payton can play some at 4 against some teams.

Freeman needs to hit the weight room, because he is going to be at center, at least most of the time next year. Dembele can back up center and play 4, and the two incoming freshman are 4s (or 3s) with differing skills.

Iowa has to get better at defense and on the boards, especially if Tony returns and Patrick doesn't. There is also huge potential on offense, with a true PG playing more, with still another great shooter in Koch, and better overall ability to move the ball.

Joker, Embid, Greek freak, Sabonis, Wemby, all shoot the three's with ease....should I go on??

Reactions: chaneccooms
One problem with your logic is Keegan should have started over CMAC at the PF position---it isn't take out Freedrick, keep starting CMAC, and play Keegan.

Nobody was guarding CMAC that year so it was 4 on 5 with CMAC in lineup. Frederick being out took out 1 shooter, and CMAC slid over to 2-guard and it was still 4 on 5 with 1 less shooter and Fredrick's absense made everyone less effective.

The other issue is you apparently don't give a chit about defense. Keegan was outstanding defender/rebounder at the PF. CMAC was a below the rim, undersized PF, with a bad shot.

I guess if you are a McCaffery family member, it does make sense to start CMAC over a NBA 1st round pick Keegan. Also you keep 1st round NBA Kris Murray 100% on the bench so that he can't backup up Keegan aft PF and just be 6'8, athletic, and defend/rebound. It all works out better for Fran and family if you don't play Kris at all because then you can say he's not ready and no one can say otherwise because their is zero film on him. Then you play PMAC off the bench along with CMAC as starter.
Weren't you in the group of pissed off posters when Fran offered the Murray's? lol, IDK for sure but just pulling your chain here..

I have not been to an Iowa men’s basketball practice since 1987, but my intuition tells me Mulvey will not play a significant role going forward. He could get some spot minutes and focus on rebounding, but hard to imagine more than that. If he does play a large role I hope he has improved immensely vs we don’t have anyone else to turn to.
If you hadn't read previous threads on this discussion, you didn't realize some think Riley will be all Big10 next year. Don't you know how to evaluate talent? I mean he's played all about 6 games in limited action. He undoubtedly dominates in practice... Of course he's our next great big man.

Joker, Embid, Greek freak, Sabonis, Wemby, all shoot the three's with ease....should I go on??
Sure, and then do the list of all nba 5s that don't shoot 3s including all the backups.

One list is going to be 10x longer than the other.

And 2 of the 5 listed here aren't even good 3pt shots.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT