ADVERTISEMENT

Looks safe 🙄

I see two people without them in the top one. Those without them in the bottom picture are wearing them in the top picture.

Of course, all they would need to do is ransack the place, light it on fire and start chanting about killing cops, and they would be immune from getting COVID, according to our experts here. Maybe they did that after the picture.

I see two people without them in the top one. Those without them in the bottom picture are wearing them in the top picture.

Of course, all they would need to do is ransack the place, light it on fire and start chanting about killing cops, and they would be immune from getting COVID, according to our experts here. Maybe they did that after the picture.
Or all be able to get treated at Walter Reed with fetus drugs and horse steroids. Then they'd be immune as well.

Reactions: dirtypool
Of all the things to get upset about with regards to the rona.....elderly folks (who are overwhelmingly the greatest at risk group) choosing to accept that risk and live their lives how they choose is certainly one option.

This is the equivalent of chastising the non smoking spouse of a smoking spouse. They understand the risk. They choose the risk. There is clearly something to their decision and free will to accept that risk that makes it worthwhile to them. Isn't it a great thing to have free will? All of us?

Reactions: TJHall1
Of all the things to get upset about with regards to the rona.....elderly folks (who are overwhelmingly the greatest at risk group) choosing to accept that risk and live their lives how they choose is certainly one option.

This is the equivalent of chastising the non smoking spouse of a smoking spouse. They understand the risk. They choose the risk. There is clearly something to their decision and free will to accept that risk that makes it worthwhile to them. Isn't it a great thing to have free will? All of us?
What a stupid comparison. If you want to use the analogy it's akin to a smoker sitting in a restaurant spewing their 2nd hand smoke all around to the detriment of others. At least we wised up on that and banned smoking in buildings - albeit not without a lot of objection from a minority of people who don't give a damn about anyone else but themselves.

Reactions: ichawkeye
What a stupid comparison. If you want to use the analogy it's akin to a smoker sitting in a restaurant spewing their 2nd hand smoke all around to the detriment of others. At least we wised up on that and banned smoking in buildings - albeit not without a lot of objection from a minority of people who don't give a damn about anyone else but themselves.

Actually it's a great comparison. If you want to use yours then it's like a restaurant that allows smoking inside. Anybody that chooses to go in and dine anyway are aware and understanding and accepting of the risk.

The bad news is Ted Cruz's death from Covid would not be a big enough deal to scare people into wearing masks. (See Herman Cain.)

Cain 74, cancer survivor
Cruz 49 healthy

Ted Cruz has a 99.97% chance of surviving Covid.
3 out of 10,000 49 year olds regardless of health would die of Covid.
The healthy should’ve been BAU all summer. Instead we walked around with rubber gloves and pushed this into Winter with lower Vit D. Brilliant

Actually it's a great comparison. If you want to use yours then it's like a restaurant that allows smoking inside. Anybody that chooses to go in and dine anyway are aware and understanding and accepting of the risk.
Which is why it is banned. JFC what antiquated thinking. Do you long for the days when you could smoke on an airplane too?

Reactions: St. Louis Hawk
Cain 74, cancer survivor
Cruz 49 healthy

The healthy should’ve been BAU all summer. Instead we walked around with rubber gloves and pushed this into Winter with lower Vit D. Brilliant

You realize death isn't the only bad outcome, don't you? Or do you? Maybe not. Supreme ignorance is unsurprising anymore.

Which is why it is banned. JFC what antiquated thinking. Do you long for the days when you could smoke on an airplane too?

You are moving the goalposts. I'm not arguing about smoking bans in businesses. I'm simply stating that we as a civilized people have long known about the dangers of smoking and 2nd hand smoke.

Yet people choose to accept the risk and smoke. Or in some cases marry a smoker even though they themselves are not a smoker. Because there is something there that makes it worth the chosen risk.

See, I just long for the days where we could all lives our lives unencumbered from those that deemed themselves smarter than the rest. You're not. So stop acting like a child. These old folks know full well that the rona is out there and are choosing to attend this event anyway. But go on. Get those panties in a bunch.

If it's about the freedom to accept risk, then they should also be okay with
(a) Paying higher insurance premiums (like smokers), and
(b) Understanding that their choice to engage in risky behavior puts them at the back of the line when/if they require medical care.
There's no way that the right-wing "personal responsibility" crowd should have a problem with these caveats.

That’s not Cruz. It’s former Dukie Grayson Allen.

It is actually Cubs owner Tom Ricketts.

DDameP7WAAA_3Pf.0.jpg

Or...or...or...be outside with plenty of distance between them.

Dumbass.

If it's about the freedom to accept risk, then they should also be okay with
(a) Paying higher insurance premiums (like smokers), and
(b) Understanding that their choice to engage in risky behavior puts them at the back of the line when/if they require medical care.
There's no way that the right-wing "personal responsibility" crowd should have a problem with these caveats.

Don't necessarily disagree with A.

But curious.....when a heart attack patient shows up at the hospital and is deemed "obese" do they have to fill out a questionnaire about how many Big Macs they have eaten in their lives and then triaged based on the number?

You are moving the goalposts. I'm not arguing about smoking bans in businesses. I'm simply stating that we as a civilized people have long known about the dangers of smoking and 2nd hand smoke.

Yet people choose to accept the risk and smoke. Or in some cases marry a smoker even though they themselves are not a smoker. Because there is something there that makes it worth the chosen risk.

See, I just long for the days where we could all lives our lives unencumbered from those that deemed themselves smarter than the rest. You're not. So stop acting like a child. These old folks know full well that the rona is out there and are choosing to attend this event anyway. But go on. Get those panties in a bunch.
The second hand smoke analogy is a poor one. The problem here is anyone at this event that gets infected will now take the virus back to wherever they’re from and pass it around to unaware, unprotected people. That doesn’t happen with smoke - I can choose to avoid areas where smoking is allowed. If one of these infected people comes to my coffee shop, or my grocery store or my church - what protection do I have?

You realize death isn't the only bad outcome, don't you? Or do you? Maybe not. Supreme ignorance is unsurprising anymore.

Sorry I forgot to include the numbers for the ultra scary “unknown long term effects”. They are unknown thus freighting.

Cain 74, cancer survivor
Cruz 49 healthy

I wonder if Ted Cruz with his 99.97% chance has no contact with others who aren't so lucky. I wonder if Ted Cruz and his 99.97% chance is concerned about those in the crowd not so lucky. I wonder if Ted Cruz and his 99.97% chance is concerned about those in the crowd who might take it home to others who are not so lucky.

Brilliant.

The thing about this virus is that it's fvcking contagious.

BTW, that's three times the death rate of the flu.

Reactions: torbee
The second hand smoke analogy is a poor one. The problem here is anyone at this event that gets infected will now take the virus back to wherever they’re from and pass it around to unaware, unprotected people. That doesn’t happen with smoke - I can choose to avoid areas where smoking is allowed. If one of these infected people comes to my coffee shop, or my grocery store or my church - what protection do I have?

Don't go to the coffee shop or church (zoom it). Then you are supremely protected from the rona.

Don't necessarily disagree with A.

But curious.....when a heart attack patient shows up at the hospital and is deemed "obese" do they have to fill out a questionnaire about how many Big Macs they have eaten in their lives and then triaged based on the number?
No, but that is the argument for surtaxes on unhealthy foods and drinks that discourage the behavior and could be applied to the medical and social costs. But the loudest opposition to these types of policies also resides on the Right. The common thread of what passes for modern conservatism is externalizing costs under the guise of "freedom".

So your selfishness means others can't live their lives? I mean. Who gets to be the arbiter of who gets to live their lives?
No. If Joni and her band of morons had held this event responsibly - in a large area with good ventilation, masks required - I would not criticize.

But she didn’t. Because she’s a selfish asshole.

The places I go DO require masks and social distancing, because that’s what sane, responsible, non-narcissistic people do.

I wonder if Ted Cruz with his 99.97% chance has no contact with others who aren't so lucky. I wonder if Ted Cruz and his 99.97% chance is concerned about those in the crowd not so lucky. I wonder if Ted Cruz and his 99.97% chance is concerned about those in the crowd who might take it home to others who are not so lucky.

Brilliant.

BTW, that's three times the death rate of the flu.

9 months into the deadliest pandemic in 100 years and were still doing the old marijuana commercial analogy: You bought $20 worth illegal pot in Iowa City. That $20 then went to Kansas City then Dallas then Mexico City where it funded decapitating a man.

Still think meeting with your friends for coffee is safe? You’d be killing their grandma. Hope you enjoy your pot, i mean coffee.

I'm not arguing about smoking bans in businesses. I'm simply stating that we as a civilized people have long known about the dangers of smoking and 2nd hand smoke.

That's an incredibly bad analogy. Where your smoking presents a risk to OTHERS, it's banned. Do what you like to yourself but don't expect to be allowed to put the health of others at risk because you choose poorly. You want Covid? Fine. Don't expect to be given the unrestricted freedom to put others at risk because you're an idiot.Get your Covid and stay home. No matter what.

Reactions: win4jj and torbee
No. If Joni and her band of morons had held this event responsibly - in a large area with good ventilation, masks required - I would not criticize.

But she didn’t. Because she’s a selfish asshole.

The places I go DO require masks and social distancing, because that’s what sane, responsible, non-narcissistic people do.

She's selfish for holding an event that people of free will can choose to attend or not? Got it.

Look if you only patronize places that require social distancing and masking AND that is the responsible/sane thing to do then..........what exactly do you have to worry about? My goodness you all love to get upset about the silliest of things.

Not many masks. Not much space. Lots of old people. Why does Joni Ernst want her supporters to get sick?

What you don’t understand is that every single person there is there on their own free will. They understand they have the right to wear or not to wear a mask. People should be allowed to make decisions with their lives, especially with a .05% mortality rate of people under 69 and younger.

Reactions: anon_89hvcc2uyzmki
9 months into the deadliest pandemic in 100 years and were still doing the old marijuana commercial analogy: You bought $20 worth illegal pot in Iowa City. That $20 then went to Kansas City then Dallas then Mexico City where it funded decapitating a man.

Still think meeting with your friends for coffee is safe? You’d be killing their grandma. Hope you enjoy your pot, i mean coffee.
I don't meet with my friends for coffee. I don't think it's safe. Neither my wife nor myself have been with our families since this began. And your analogy failure is....epic. Quite literally the dumbest shit I've read in a while.

Reactions: torbee
I don't meet with my friends for coffee. I don't think it's safe. Neither my wife nor myself have been with our families since this began. And your analogy failure is....epic. Quite literally the dumbest shit I've read in a while.

Not being around friends or family for the last 8 months is “quite literally the dumbest shit I’ve read in a while.”

You got another 12 months in you? Covid isn’t going anywhere. There won’t be a cure.

Not being around friends or family for the last 8 months is “quite literally the dumbest shit I’ve read in a while.”

You got another 12 months in you? Covid isn’t going anywhere. There won’t be a cure.
My wife's mother is 83. Better to Zoom with her rather than kill her. If she gets it there's a 1 in 18 chance it would be fatal per the CDC. If we killed her my wife would feel bad. I'll be 63 in a few months and I have three siblings older than me...two in their seventies. I'm not buying the argument that they're going to die anyway so who cares if it's Covid but if that works for you, great. You really care about your family, obviously. Do I have another 12 months in me? Ummm...yeah. Anyone who deliberately puts others at risk when it's unnecessary because they have emotional attachment issues isn't worth the time to argue with.

Iowa did go for him in 2016.

Don't you remember Trump's: "How stupid are the people of Iowa?"

I get your point, but how many people who voted in the Republican primary in 2016 for Ted Cruz do you really think is an undecided voter at this point?

Or how many of them are now energized to make the effort to go vote because Ted Cruz visited them a week before the election where they would not have voted otherwise?

Bringing in somebody for an endorsement at this point, should really be checking one of those two boxes. I just don’t see how he does either.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT