ADVERTISEMENT

Losing respect for friends and family after reading their Facebook page.

Razorhawk2

HR MVP
Feb 9, 2016
I know on this open topic board we sometimes get into passionate debates on politics and that should be expected. What bothers me is someone posting on Facebook political propaganda (mainly GOP) for family and friends to see regardless of political affiliation. Surly these posters have to realize not everyone agrees with them. Are they looking for positive affirmations or just trying to rub some people’s faces in it?

The least thing I’m concerned with among friends and family are their political views. I have friends and family all over the political spectrum. It’s one of the last things I think about in regard to any one of them. All I ask when seeing them is they things are kept relevant, interesting and meaningful. Basically, no politics allowed.

I've got some incredibly redneck relatives that live down in SW Iowa. And this is basically all they do on facebook. Well, at least what they used to do because I have removed them all. Their posts were damn near all insanely extreme and often had a whole lotta racism tossed in too. I removed my uncle after he posted a "meme" of a bunch of cartoon middle eastern folks standing in a line, with a picture of a gun pointing at them and a caption of something along the lines of "we all know the next move" or something like that.

Their granddaughter is way young, and we were friends on fbook too. She always seemed sweet, but then I saw her post a meme about how all America would be better with all liberals dead.....she posted it a few years ago when she was 16. That's when I realized that I had only seen them once in the last 15 years, and I didn't need to see the nonsense they all believed. It was wild, but not really surprising.

The least thing I’m concerned with among friends and family are their political views. I have friends and family all over the political spectrum. It’s one of the last things I think about in regard to any one of them. All I ask when seeing them is they things are kept relevant, interesting and meaningful. Basically, no politics allowed.
We've also adopted the "no politics allowed" at family gatherings. Ol Granny still chimes in occasionally but I can usually steer it back to Iowa sports rather quickly.

This is one reason why I left Facebook. I'd rather I don't know the people I lack respect for.
I’m not on Facebook either because I’m afraid I’ll post something that will cause hard feelings. My wife does show me her Facebook and that’s where I see this crap.

Example: my wife’s aunt today’s post
“Only 220 day until the Squatter at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave will be evicted.”

My wife’s first cousin commented
“Hopefully in a casket.”

My brother in law
“Liked.”

Yeah, there haven’t been many big surprises for me, but some of the stuff is so venomous it is impossible to continue to respect them.

I’m still on FB, though, because I like keeping up with friends and family who I seldom see; even third tier friends who I never intend to visit but still enjoy following their lives. But as soon as someone posts political stuff I snooze them. If that still their MO when they come back they’re blocked.

It does seem that people who post political stuff almost always post nothing but political stuff.

I know on this open topic board we sometimes get into passionate debates on politics and that should be expected. What bothers me is someone posting on Facebook political propaganda (mainly GOP) for family and friends to see regardless of political affiliation. Surly these posters have to realize not everyone agrees with them. Are they looking for positive affirmations or just trying to rub some people’s faces in it?
They’re speaking their mind but it’s not a position you or others might agree with. Okay. It’s a free speech thing.
You and others are free to ignore or use the hide feature.
I have friends who are unabashedly far left and some who are far right. I never respond to them and usually scroll right past their posts. That way neither of us are offended.

Facebook is a cesspool.i don't have any far righties but certainly know they exist. I do have 2 old ladies that are super hard dems.

One is a grandmother of my best friend who married a farmer in SE Nebraska. Short of marrying a guy who owned half the land between Johnson and Tecumsah Nebraksa I'm not really sure who or what she did.

The other is one of my buddies moms. He was an addict and jumped of the des moines bridge running from cops and drowned. Now she thinks the world is full of evil Republicans.

Tldr. Facebook is dumb.

Yeah, there haven’t been many big surprises for me, but some of the stuff is so venomous it is impossible to continue to respect them.

I’m still on FB, though, because I like keeping up with friends and family who I seldom see; even third tier friends who I never intend to visit but still enjoy following their lives. But as soon as someone posts political stuff I snooze them. If that still their MO when they come back they’re blocked.

It does seem that people who post political stuff almost always post nothing but political stuff.
My wife’s aunt posted 20 times today!
16 of them were either spewing hate at Biden or the Democratic Party.

None of my family posts about political stuff and the family has a rule about not talking about politics during gatherings, so I don't really know about their affiliations.

I have one uncle that looks like a "Meal Team 6" member that, to me, surprisingly once commented that he thought Trump was an a-hole. That's the only time I've heard anyone even remotely mention something political.

Thankfully none of my family members seem to lean far right or left.

What a bunch of snowflakes. I OTOH love reading the stupid shit that the idiot left post. When I say I LOL I mean it literally.

Reactions: Ronnie_B
Have put probably a dozen folks on ignore, specifically because ALL they ever posted was incessant, political garbage memes. About half of them are family (first and second cousins), the other half are former schoolmates I grew up with in Iowa.

Weird thing is, I hardly ever see actual posts from friends on Facebook anymore. Lots of reels. And a bunch of other content. Don’t pay that much attention anymore.

Have put probably a dozen folks on ignore, specifically because ALL they ever posted was incessant, political garbage memes. About half of them are family (first and second cousins), the other half are former schoolmates I grew up with in Iowa.

Weird thing is, I hardly ever see actual posts from friends on Facebook anymore. Lots of reels. And a bunch of other content. Don’t pay that much attention anymore.

Also content ads. Lots of content ads.

Either you don’t realize it because you’re so far left in the spectrum or you’re dumb. Probably both but it exists both ways.

If it was mainly DEM (liberal in nature) would you be just as bothered?

Asking for a friend.

That's a big reason I quit going to Facebook. I'll still post pics from a vacation or something random. But I probably only open it once a month or so.

I mean, X is a cesspool, but it's mostly randos. Seeing friends and family post stupid shit is depressing, especially when you comment that it's stupid and they argue.

I had one lifelong friend I totally cut out and deleted. I enjoy a good left/right back and forth (check my posting history!), but he went off the deep end. The antisemitic memes and conspiracies were just too much. I pulled the plug and never said a word, probably never speak with them again.

Last edited:
If it was mainly DEM (liberal in nature) would you be just as bothered?

Asking for a friend.
Probably because I’m about as Independent as they come I just don’t see much of the liberal in nature trash talking that I do from the MAGA cult. Again it’s my wife’s page and we live in Arkansas where she grew up so most her friends and relatives fly the Confederate flag proudly.

Most of mine are extended family. I just unfollow so I don't have to see it. I know it's there, but ignorance is bliss.
Same here. It seems to come in waves from them so as soon as I see it I'll snooze them for 30 days and eventually they'll be back and usually they'll be good for awhile but eventually they start it up again and I'll have to snooze them again. I just did this today with a cousin of mine. He hadn't posted anything political in quite awhile and then today he came in with some whacky conspiracy theory bullshit and I had to put him on timeout. I don't understand the lack of awareness...I think a lot less of them but I'm sure since I'm not a right wing psycho like them they probably think a lot less of me as well

I have a cousin that un-friended me on FB. He would post blatantly false conspiracy and/or political garbage, and he got tired of me pointing out the inaccuracies and providing sources. Eff him.
I had this happen to me as well with a high school buddy. We weren't super close friends but partied together a lot in high school and college and we lost touch over the years but stayed fb friends and after me constantly providing sources proving his bs wrong he unfriended me.

I have a cousin that un-friended me on FB. He would post blatantly false conspiracy and/or political garbage, and he got tired of me pointing out the inaccuracies and providing sources. Eff him.

What if you called him up and went out for a drink and talked about real things? Like work and family?

Reactions: NDallasRuss
What if you called him up and went out for a drink and talked about real things? Like work and family?
A) He lives several states away, so it's unlikely we'd meet up

B) I honestly don't care enough to put out any effort. He unfriended me. If he's good with that, then more power to him. He rarely ever talks to his own brother and sister: it really is a "him" issue.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT