ADVERTISEMENT

Luka decides on Sunday

A

anon_i8nzeu2gbf0ba

Like all of us, after considering the options as objectively as possible, Luka should do what he thinks is best. And I continue to hope and believe he will stick with the Hawkeyes. From the outside, in the pandemic era, all options seem fraught with risk. It doesn't appear Luka or his family need the money a pro career might bring. Along with his teammates, Luka missed playing in the Big Ten and NCAA tournaments last season. You can play a long time as a pro, but Luka has only one chance--a chance of a lifetime--to play one more memorable season as a collegian.

Chuck Long, the Hawkeyes' all-American QB, had a similar decision to make about 35 years ago. He decided to come back to Iowa City for one final run at a Big Ten and national title. He got the Big Ten title and narrowly missed the national title while finishing a very close second in the Heisman voting.

That has nothing directly to do with Luka, but it is an interesting fact that Long said he came back to Iowa City because he loved the college game and wanted to give it one more shot. Even in football, where a career-ending injury is far, far more likely than in basketball, Long postponed his pro career.

I realize it's a tough decision, and I won't be shocked if Luka decides to move on, but I will be surprised and, like every other Hawkeye fan, disappointed. And so I can't see Luka walking away from his teammates, his coaches, and all the amazing opportunities that are possible, not even in the uncertainty of a pandemic.

Everything about the person Luka is says he'll be back in uniform for the Hawkeyes. But no matter what, he's a great young man with a work ethic second to none, a young man that has put honor and excitement in the phrase, "It's great to be a Hawkeye!"

Last edited by a moderator:
There won't be a national title to win...

giphy.gif

Well, since it's 2020, it would only be BAU for Iowa if we got one more solid kick in the balls, since it's constantly made clear we can't have/keep nice things.........

Chuck Long, the Hawkeyes' all-American QB, had a similar decision to make about 35 years ago. He decided to come back to Iowa City for one final run at a Big Ten and national title. He got the Big Ten title and narrowly missed the national title while finishing a very close second in the Heisman voting.

That has nothing directly to do with Luka, but it is an interesting fact that Long said he came back to Iowa City because he loved the college game and wanted to give it one more shot. Even in football, where a career-ending injury is far, far more likely than in basketball, Long postponed his pro career.
"

Interesting comparison. Maybe a bit different with the NBA bent towards youth and the whole Covid situation, but useful from meaningfulness of final season for the star athlete. I think if there was certainty of a college season, he would likely comeback. With that lack of certainty it feels more 50:50 to leaning going pro since the NBA so far is making the bubble concept work.

If I remember that year correctly, Iowa rose to the number one ranking during the season, was hovering in the playoff ranking (if there had been the current playoff system back then) near the end of the season, but after losing the bowl game ended up ranked ~10th at the end of the season, thus slightly a stretch to say narrowly missed the National Championship. Oklahoma was preseason number one, slipped a bit as they lost one game, then ultimately one the national championship. None-the-less it was a great year for the Hawks.

Again, they just held the Million dollar$ Hoops tourney and team from Marquette, with Travis Diener won.

If they can hold that tournament, this summer; good grief, the NCAA should be able to figure out how to have their Tournament 8 months from now.

#gohawks

Completely different animals if you consider fans included. If you are saying tournament without fans, then still on completely different scales. The tournament was played over a ten days with 24 teams versus the 64+play-in for the NCAA. Teams in teh TBT don't have the same "travelling squad" of number of players, managers, coaches, press...etc.

I saw an interesting note on twitter today, that it seems guys can "withdraw" to retain their eligibility coming up here in a few days, but still have time to later declare for the NBA draft (deadline is in a few weeks). So everyone considering should withdraw to retain eligibility, and we could see a string of decisions where guys jump back into the NBA draft.

I saw an interesting note on twitter today, that it seems guys can "withdraw" to retain their eligibility coming up here in a few days, but still have time to later declare for the NBA draft (deadline is in a few weeks). So everyone considering should withdraw to retain eligibility, and we could see a string of decisions where guys jump back into the NBA draft.

Has a time been released for the announcement?

There won't be a national title to win...

Doesn't matter. There will be no college basketball this year.

For those that believe there will be no season, why are you here? Just to pop in various threads and state your opinion? Nobody really knows and your posts are off topic. Do you want every thread to mention covid or can we be smart enough to realize posts like these obviously assume there is a season and covid is somewhat contained?

I just don't get what your looking for.

anyone else get a negative vibe from reading the article on here today?

First time I have felt less than confident we get him back. The statements Frank made seemed very calculated......and the part about "wanting to sit down with his teammates first and answer all of their questions before making an announcement"

I don't know, just seemed bad.

Reactions: Bee93 and chuck285
As this pandemic keeps going, I expect him to go pro. Not what I would like as a fan, but I don’t know how you take a chance of no college b-ball, with the opportunity to ink some money while you can. I never would have faulted Luka for any decision he could make, pre COVID. And now (depending on how drafts and $ works during COVID) I would see even less fault for trying to go for a pay check.

On 6/29, I bet on the Hawks to win the national title at 25-1

Shortly after, the odds dropped to 10-1

I just checked and the odds are currently 30-1

Does Vegas know something we don't? Maybe, or maybe not. Read into it what you will.

On 6/29, I bet on the Hawks to win the national title at 25-1

Shortly after, the odds dropped to 10-1

I just checked and the odds are currently 30-1

Does Vegas know something we don't? Maybe, or maybe not. Read into it what you will.

Probably will go back to 10-1 if Luka stays.

Frank Garza has dropped hints all over Twitter that’s he’s leaving (if you read between the lines). That’s how I read them anyway. Hope I’m wrong but I think 100% that he’s gone.

For those that believe there will be no season, why are you here? Just to pop in various threads and state your opinion? Nobody really knows and your posts are off topic. Do you want every thread to mention covid or can we be smart enough to realize posts like these obviously assume there is a season and covid is somewhat contained?

You serious with this post?

Garza's decision is almost certainly dependent upon the perception of whether there will be a '20-'21 NCAA decision. If the NCAA could somehow guarantee it, I think that he'd come back to Iowa to play this year. But, given that there is zero chance of a guarantee, he and his father will be weighing the various chances that the NCAA will actually have a season. In other words, their decision will be based upon guess, speculation and conjecture (although I'm sure that they are well read on the subject).

I posted this in another thread, but it's relevant here. It just makes zero sense for Garza to stay.

I would love for Garza to come back more than anyone, but I'm fairly confident that he's gone. If we knew their was going to be a college basketball season, he'd very likely be coming back, but at this point, I think there's almost zero chance of a season. It makes much more sense for him to get into the draft. Even if he's a late second round pick or a UDFA, it will allow him to get on some NBA team's radars and get into camp somewhere.

The NBA will almost assuredly have some kind of season next year with how effective their bubble has been so far. You'll likely see way more roster spots and maybe even some "replacement player squads" or "practice squads" so there'll be even more chances for him to get himself in front of NBA GMs and scouts.

I am here because I love Iowa athletics and I am bored as hell. Sorry I passed in your Cheerios by pointing out the obvious.

Gonna be a very long saturday.Maybe I missed it, but has Luka set a time for his decision tomorrow?

Doesn't matter. There will be no college basketball this year.

Yes BB will be played. FB don't think so. There will be a vaccine by dec or jan so it might be delayed but it will be played........... I hope;)

Like all of us, after considering the options as objectively as possible, Luka should do what he thinks is best. And I continue to hope and believe he will stick with the Hawkeyes. From the outside, in the pandemic era, all options seem fraught with risk. It doesn't appear Luka or his family need the money a pro career might bring. Along with his teammates, Luka missed playing in the Big Ten and NCAA tournaments last season. You can play a long time as a pro, but Luka has only one chance--a chance of a lifetime--to play one more memorable season as a collegian.

Outstanding post aristotle!
I realize it's a tough decision, and I won't be shocked if Luka decides to move on, but I will be surprised and, like every other Hawkeye fan, disappointed. And so I can't see Luka walking away from his teammates, his coaches, and all the amazing opportunities that are possible, not even in the uncertainty of a pandemic.

Everything about the person Luka is says he'll be back in uniform for the Hawkeyes. But no matter what, he's a great young man with a work ethic second to none, a young man that has put honor and excitement in the phrase, "It's great to be a Hawkeye!"

C19 will vanish like a fart in the wind starting around 11/4

Okay, since you think the virus will be completely gone 11/4, let’s put a wager down, you never post again if the virus is still around, in this country, since you think this is only going on in this country, and I will never post again if the virus miraculously goes away on 11/4. Meaning, no cases happen 11/4 and beyond. No one will doe 11/4 and beyond. No hospital stays for the virus also 11/4 and beyond. Deal?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT