ADVERTISEMENT

Luka Garza announcement will be at 12:15 PM CT on Sunday

Apr 8, 2003
University of Iowa center Luka Garza, the 2020 National College Basketball Player of the Year by six national news outlets and Big Ten Player of the Year, will announce his future plans tomorrow (Sunday) at 12:15 p.m. (CT).
  • Reporters can access the announcement/media availability via the Zoom link at the bottom of this email.
  • Garza will be available to answer reporter questions on the Zoom call.

University of Iowa center Luka Garza, the 2020 National College Basketball Player of the Year by six national news outlets and Big Ten Player of the Year, will announce his future plans tomorrow (Sunday) at 12:15 p.m. (CT).
  • Reporters can access the announcement/media availability via the Zoom link at the bottom of this email.
  • Garza will be available to answer reporter questions on the Zoom call.

Maybe it's just me, but the fact this has turned into an official announcement doesn't bode well.

Why have a zoom call to announce your leaving? Wouldn’t it be more of a probability that he just released a statement he was moving on if that was the case? This feels more like a recruiting announcement so with my Hawkeye glasses on I say he is doing the zoom call the announce his return!

It's huge news either way, so I wouldn't read much into how it's going to be announced. Garza coming back would lead to all kinds of questions about the process he went through, why he decided to return, what he expects to gain from his final year of college competition, and so on and so on and so on.

And I still believe that when you do the deep dive from Luka's perspective, the pluses of returning vastly outnumber the pluses of going pro. Again, I wouldn't be shocked if Luka leaves, but I would be very surprised. Given his personality and attitude, I just can't see him leaving Iowa City and his teammates with unfinished business on the Big Ten and national stages.

Maybe it's just me, but the fact this has turned into an official announcement doesn't bode well.
Nah. When was the last time someone held a press conference like this to announce he was going pro?

Most often, like he did back then, they will send out a public statement announcing their intention to go pro and thanking the fans for their appreciation.

Having a conference call to announce your leaving is weird. You figure more ppl would be happy if he was staying than leaving so I think he stays. And they will release black and gold confetti.

I don't mind Frank building suspense for Luka's announcement. It's a big deal, for Iowa fans and for the Garza family. He's been a hype man for his son for a long time. Let the kid have his moment. Luka deserves it. And he's absolutely earned it.

Reactions: T. Kimball
I don't mind Frank building suspense for Luka's announcement. It's a big deal, for Iowa fans and for the Garza family. He's been a hype man for his son for a long time. Let the kid have his moment. Luka deserves it. And he's absolutely earned it.

yes, we've been hearing about it 24 hours a day for the past 6 months

If the announcement was in a Hawkeye building I’d be a lot more confident than a Zoom call announcement. Uncertainty rules. If you can get a signed contract to pay you, it’s got to be tough to pass it up. There may not be a league in a year.

Well, since Biden is the only other option, yes, I'll be voting for Biden. Sanders should have been the nominee.
Crazy Bernie would have been an awesome candidate!

Would have completely destroyed your party and the powers that be knew it as well which is why he's not your guy.....

Reactions: Kurt Warner
Frank seems to 100% be the mouth for his adult son - this is Frank's moment. Kind of seems to be an attention-seeker with all his posts regarding training etc etc.
Agreed but the two of them seem very close. Not a Marinovich situation by any means.

It's huge news either way, so I wouldn't read much into how it's going to be announced. Garza coming back would lead to all kinds of questions about the process he went through, why he decided to return, what he expects to gain from his final year of college competition, and so on and so on and so on.

And I still believe that when you do the deep dive from Luka's perspective, the pluses of returning vastly outnumber the pluses of going pro. Again, I wouldn't be shocked if Luka leaves, but I would be very surprised. Given his personality and attitude, I just can't see him leaving Iowa City and his teammates with unfinished business on the Big Ten and national stages.

In a normal year, yes but this year why come back when you may not even get to play a single game. Baseball will be shut down finally in the next few weeks, I have no doubt college and pro football will run into the exact same problems which will lead to a cancellation of all winter sports, as they don’t bring in the revenue like football does which is the only reason schools are willingly risking lives this fall when all logic says all sports should be cancelled.

If he stays, shut the country down for a month to squash the virus and ensure there is CBB. If he goes, then **** it, let it burn.

Reactions: mtown66
giphy.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT