ADVERTISEMENT

Maishe Dailey Injury?

IMO I dont think there will be very many players "average" near 20 min/game. Other than JBO, Cook, Baer ...and possibly Moss...the rest (which includes Dom) will be less than 20.

Of course injuries will impact such.

Generally agree. When you look at the deep teams Fran has had, 3 guys are generally at the core, getting around 25/gm (Cook, Baer, JB). Do think on this team Moss will need to get close to that as well because we don't have anyone else who can do all he can do on both ends. As for other players' PT, it's really hard to come to terms with the numbers of players we have on this team that can get minutes. Do think Uhl be be one whose average PT will be low, but his minutes will be valuable, because his experience allows Fran to play him anytime in the game. Iowa's depth up front is definitely something few teams can match this year.

I think we'll see our post and power forwards Garza, Kriener, Cook and Pemsl all average in the 25 down to 15 mpg range. I don't care who starts. Unless the foul problems are fixed from last year...I think we need them all.

Baer, Moss and Bohannon own the point and wings.

Those seven, to me, are a lock.

Nunge is the intriguing guy of the rest, just due to being a frosh. But he has the most competition in practice to earn a spot in the rotation.

Williams and Ellingson are locks as subs.

Uhl, Wagner and Dailey...they are looking for roles. Recall Woody's frosh year and he and Gabe averaged a total of about 33 mpg. That made room for Basabe and McCabe. In much the same way, I think Uhl, Wagner and Nunge are in the fight for not only minutes at the three, but up to 7 mpg at the post.

Reactions: CanadaHawk
We are going to play mostly 9 guys. Which 9 will vary from game to game depending on health and who is playing well, as well as the particular matchup for each specific game.

Fran has always played seniors over under classmen. I'm not very high on Uhl but you're dreaming if you think he'll be towards the end of the bench. He'll get 20 minutes/game.
Fran now has more talent than in the past. Previously with seniors, but less talent, you use the experienced guys. He can now use more talented guys instead.

I think we'll see our post and power forwards Garza, Kriener, Cook and Pemsl all average in the 25 down to 15 mpg range. I don't care who starts. Unless the foul problems are fixed from last year...I think we need them all.

Baer, Moss and Bohannon own the point and wings.

Those seven, to me, are a lock.

Nunge is the intriguing guy of the rest, just due to being a frosh. But he has the most competition in practice to earn a spot in the rotation.

Williams and Ellingson are locks as subs.

Uhl, Wagner and Dailey...they are looking for roles. Recall Woody's frosh year and he and Gabe averaged a total of about 33 mpg. That made room for Basabe and McCabe. In much the same way, I think Uhl, Wagner and Nunge are in the fight for not only minutes at the three, but up to 7 mpg at the post.
I agree with the idea that Baer and JBo will probably be the only guys consistently getting 25 min or more, once we get into the real schedule. I think there will be a lot of bigs getting 15-20 min, depending on the opponent and how the game is playing out. Cook will probably get the most minutes of this group, but I doubt if he will average more than about 20 min. It would be great if Moss made a huge step forward and was closer to Baer and JBo in minutes, but I think you could see him also in the 18-20 min range, with Ellingson also getting 15-20 min, maybe a both guard positions, depending on Williams and Dailey. Fran has a lot of guys who can play (except PG), so he can tinker with line ups during the early season and find what combinations work best together against different styles of opponents. Should be fun!

Here are four seniors who saw less than 20 mpg their senior years:

Josh Oglesby, Zach McCabe, Melsahn Basabe, Gabe Olaseni.

Reason, better players.

Dan L53, yep. I don't think Fran favors seniors more than does a typical coach. Most coaches like to stick with a kid that has stuck with them.

I can tell you from my own experience its no fun to tell seniors they've been passed by underclassmen. But most coaches also understand that winning is necessary for self-preservation.

Reactions: DanL53 and ZumaHawk
Ok the 20 minutes might be high. My point is, Dom is going to play more than people expect /want.

people want?...

I think I'll trust Fran & wait to see how the fall practice unfolds as well as the season.
Sure. Most people are hoping dom doesn't get a lot of minutes.

I'll trust Fran, too. I'm also hoping Dom steps it up. He's talked about last year not sitting well with him.

Sure. Most people are hoping dom doesn't get a lot of minutes.

I'll trust Fran, too. I'm also hoping Dom steps it up. He's talked about last year not sitting well with him.

Most people?...so you have this magic that you know what most people are hoping?

I believe just like last year...minutes will be reflected based on play...I see no value in hoping a player doesnt get a lot of minutes. Not as long as they are wearing I O W A on their jersey anyway.

You would agree that pre-season practice should help you as a coach determine how you begin the season...and second how the season unfolds.

Most people?...so you have this magic that you know what most people are hoping?

I believe just like last year...minutes will be reflected based on play...I see no value in hoping a player doesnt get a lot of minutes. Not as long as they are wearing I O W A on their jersey anyway.

You would agree that pre-season practice should help you as a coach determine how you begin the season...and second how the season unfolds.

wtf is wrong with you?

wtf is wrong with you?

wtf is wrong with Bob?

Maybe he knows that at this point no smart coach has completely written a player out, or in. That's why they call it PENCILING IN, so it can be erased.

As fans we get the fun of guessing, and in many cases forgetting how wrong we are. Man, but we can't forget when a coach screws up! And we even get to take the hindsight 20/20 high road while we pretend we would have done anything different.

It's alright, no biggie, we're fans. But Legend, you are getting pretty screwy when you think a guy just being patient and letting things play out has something the $%#@ wrong with him.

You know, Uhl COULD end up having a great senior year. It's nothing unusual. Eric May did! Or you can look at Sapp and Basabi who had miserable sophomore seasons but came back to play important roles. AC was a starter as a senior. Basabe put two good years back to back himself.

We don't know. We. Don't. Know what is going to happen for sure with the roster this year.

So we get to guess and that's fun. But here are some interesting comments or suggestions:

Bohannon and Cook were All Big Ten Freshmen and started a ton of games. Aren't THEY the best we've got?
But hold on, Larson commented that he thought Garza and Nunge were already Iowa's best big men.
Now we have, possibly, Bobby Hanson saying forget Wagner.
McCaffery himself said Baer is on yet another level. And he mentioned how much better Pemsl will be after he heals up from his surgery.

Personally I like to play the guessing games. I'm pretty good at it if the last three years where I was off by ONE Big Ten regular season win, one way or the other, means anything. But I call it guesswork. I'll never presume to think my opinions should place expectations on the team.

Really, this guy will get these minutes, the other guy is a bust. All Bob is saying is he appreciates the Iowa Hawkeyes, and in his opinion it isn't the greatest thing to just assume a guy will be a bust or a bench player.

So, lighten up.

well coach you posted you were hoping UHL doesnt get senior minutes and is going to play more than people expect/want....all I'm sayng is the team hasn't even started fall camp.

You posted UHL will get 20 minutes when he hasnt even come close to it in his previous 3 years. In fact as the season unfolded last year ..I believe his minutes continued to go down. *I see you subsequently recognize the 20 might be a little high.

I have no idea that Fran is going to play Dom more than people expect or want. I would think Fran will play minutes based on early practices & games.
I dont think Fran is just going to hand him PT but sure I can see in those exhibition games & early blowout games he plays alot of combinations...which I'm sure will be a whole lot different come B1G time...***actually sooner than that ---

I do believe (based on the past) that sometimes seniors who have not played a ton of minutes or started a ton of games...find that certain something & become comfortable in what they 'can' do to help their team..regardless of minutes. Eric May is a perfect reference.

I agree with you I hope Uhl steps up...I'm just not ready to say he won't.

I'm not sure why you are arguing with me. We're saying the same thing.

Plus I never said I hope he doesn't get senior minutes. I said I'm not high on him (I'm not).

Of course Fran is going to play who he thinks should play. I'm not saying he won't. I'm just saying Fran tends to give those minutes to seniors/upperclassmen.

I never once said Uhl is incapable of getting those minutes.

This is all speculation, Bob. That's what we do here. We talk about the team. It's OK to speculate and be wrong. Happens all the time. Welcome to HR.

I'm not sure why you are arguing with me. We're saying the same thing.

Plus I never said I hope he doesn't get senior minutes. I said I'm not high on him (I'm not).

Of course Fran is going to play who he thinks should play. I'm not saying he won't. I'm just saying Fran tends to give those minutes to seniors/upperclassmen.

I never once said Uhl is incapable of getting those minutes.

This is all speculation, Bob. That's what we do here. We talk about the team. It's OK to speculate and be wrong. Happens all the time. Welcome to HR.

No we are not saying the same thing coach and I'm not arguing.....when a poster suggested Uhl will get 7-8 min per game max...you responded "I hope you are right". That doesnt suggest you think Uhl is capable of "senior" minutes.

I understand you not very high on Uhl...but I dont think Fran will just give him minutes 20 or so...just because he is a senior.

I agree with you...I hope he has one heck of a senior year..because it helps the team.

No we are not saying the same thing coach and I'm not arguing.....when a poster suggested Uhl will get 7-8 min per game max...you responded "I hope you are right". That doesnt suggest you think Uhl is capable of "senior" minutes.

I understand you not very high on Uhl...but I dont think Fran will just give him minutes 20 or so...just because he is a senior.

I agree with you...I hope he has one heck of a senior year..because it helps the team.
I don't think this either. He'll legit think he deserves it.

I don't think this either. He'll legit think he deserves it.

well you are sort of contradicting yourself...but thats ok.

Ya i dont think Fran will play Uhl minutes because he thinks Dom legit deserves it...regardless of his performances. More than likely Dom will be that group who will be in a battle for PT IMO. Fran wont justify it because he is a senior.

Back to the question.....!!!!!!......

What do we know about Dailey's injury and the CW groin rumors? This could be reaching a danger zone for the Hawks.
Any insiders have the scoop? Would Conner consider pulling his shirt if neither can go?

Back to the question.....!!!!!!......

What do we know about Dailey's injury and the CW groin rumors? This could be reaching a danger zone for the Hawks.
Any insiders have the scoop? Would Conner consider pulling his shirt if neither can go?
If we lose CW I would be really worried about our guards ability to defend. Im sorry but Bohannon, Ellingson, and Baer out there together against MSU could get ugly quick. Thats why I would also like to see Dailey get his fair shake if healthy. Really wish he would have redshirted last year.

Big reason why we need to see a big step up from Moss on the defensive end. Skills are there on both end, just need more focus and consistency.

I hope Dom catches some senioritis that contributes to some big wins.

On the other hand I have a $150 bet with a friend that he doesn't finish in top 10 in minutes

If we lose CW I would be really worried about our guards ability to defend. Im sorry but Bohannon, Ellingson, and Baer out there together against MSU could get ugly quick. Thats why I would also like to see Dailey get his fair shake if healthy. Really wish he would have redshirted last year.
If CW is injured, we will need to see Dailey "get his fair shake" defensively, especially vs Iowa's more athletic opponents.

Since we are still waiting on official word of Williams and his injury, this is just hypothetical.

I am not concerned with JBo, Moss and Ellingson defensively as being a nightmare scenario or anything. But I don't like being four thin even including Dailey. In my opinion we are just accurately looking, even with Williams, at the biggest weakness on our team. All teams have them. The top three should reasonably have improved, so I'm hoping for average defense and I'll accept it.

But if we are indeed down to four, I hope the decision is made to play Connor. That won't improve our defense either, but at least we'll have another body to keep things fresh.

I don't get the thinking as regards " I don't want to see ____ getting a lot of minutes." I like the way Fran distributes his minutes. Game by game.
Ellingson is the player I'm least enthused about, but he had some good stretches at times last year. If his positives outweigh the negatives then he should get the minutes. Same with Dom.

Reactions: DanL53
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT