ADVERTISEMENT

Maishe Dailey Transferring

Very true. Power 5 schools average about 60% African-Americans. Iowa has less than 30% on the roster.

That is not a concern to me as far as how good team will be, as we will be good. However, what if we have a big talent that has interest, but questions the lack African-Americans on the team. There is no doubt that is a concern to some recruits. But the question is how many? And has this hurt us in the past? I am guessing we will never know the answer to that one. That noted, I would prefer that the Iowa coaches balance it out some.

wtf am I reading...

I certainly wish MD the best and hope he has a great red shirt senior year (if D1 and sits a year) on another team. But, what I am hoping is that CJF has been playing so well in practice he read the writing on the wall. Time will tell.

However, what if we have a big talent that has interest, but questions the lack [of] African-Americans on the team?

Then, perhaps, the kid is a racist and doesn't belong in Iowa City. Let's reverse it: Suppose a talented white kid wanted to play at You-Name-It U and noticed the roster was 75% black and questioned the lack of white players on the team.

BTW: According to official statistics, blacks make up 12% of the US population and 3.2% of the Iowa population. So, barring racial prejudice, it would seem that on a 15-man basketball team that represented the US population, there would be about 2 black players. And for the U of I, a Hawkeye basketball team representative of the state's population would have ONE black player every once in a while.

It's supposed to be a color-blind situation. It's not about race; it's about talent and character. Introducing race, from any perspective, is a pretty bad idea.

Doesn't work out for everyone, but I don't think Dailey will be bitter about it. Hope he goes and has a good year somewhere!

Sometimes the truth hurts. Maishe Dailey did his best at Iowa, represented the University without getting into any trouble. Just did not improve enough to make Iowa a better team. Wish him well wherever he ends up at.
And Fran did a horrible job of utilizing his strengths. Kid always played on egg shells to a degree as there was a double standard in play. The Hawks are athlete shy on the court.

Seems like a good kid and wish him the best. Glad he's transferring as I don't think he would have seen much if any playing time.

Truth hurts sometimes. Seems like a real nice kid but not a power 5 D1 player . Said it more than once this year.
Wish him the best in the mid majors somewhere

I predict he does very well wherever he lands. Presumably he will go somewhere where he will be one if that teams top players. At lower level competition his speed will make him dangerous on offense. He will grow in confidence as a scorer, probably average 18-5-5. And when that happens, people on this board will say, why cant Fran recruit a point guard like that?

Truth hurts sometimes. Seems like a real nice kid but not a power 5 D1 player . Said it more than once this year.

Thats not his fault then. Its the coach being paid a large amount of money. The same coach who has had numerous recruits wash out. It seems talent evaluation, scouting and recruiting are not exactly a strength. Meyer, Fleming, etc. etc. etc.

Thats not his fault then. Its the coach being paid a large amount of money. The same coach who has had numerous recruits wash out. It seems talent evaluation, scouting and recruiting are not exactly a strength. Meyer, Fleming, etc. etc. etc.
Really only 2 bad classes, as noted by many. The rest have been decent to very good. In the last 4 classes including next year's freshmen, here are the 4-star recruits this staff has brought in:

Patrick McCaffery
Joe Toussaint
Joe Wieskamp
Luka Garza
Connor Mccaffery
Tyler Cook
Jordan Bohannon (ESPN)

All the other recruits in those classes were 3 stars. And only 1 transfer - Maishe Dailey - for his senior year. Not a bad group.

Reactions: owenhawk

This is every coach.

Then, perhaps, the kid is a racist and doesn't belong in Iowa City. Let's reverse it: Suppose a talented white kid wanted to play at You-Name-It U and noticed the roster was 75% black and questioned the lack of white players on the team.

BTW: According to official statistics, blacks make up 12% of the US population and 3.2% of the Iowa population. So, barring racial prejudice, it would seem that on a 15-man basketball team that represented the US population, there would be about 2 black players. And for the U of I, a Hawkeye basketball team representative of the state's population would have ONE black player every once in a while.

It's supposed to be a color-blind situation. It's not about race; it's about talent and character. Introducing race, from any perspective, is a pretty bad idea.

Point

All we, or anyone else for that matter, can ask for in life is equality of opportunity. Talent and character will sort out the outcome.

Hopefully this is the start of a much bigger house cleaning. This team needs 2 or 3 guards 6’2” to 6’5” that can drive, shoot, and defend. Hopefully Fran can find a few in the transfer portal. It sounds like we are going after a forward though (queue sideways face emoji).

Best of luck to Maishe though moving forward. I think he’d absolutely thrive like Brady did in a league like the Missouri Valley.

Reactions: Raptorpeeps
I’d be lying if I said I am sad to see him be the guy that transfers out to open up a roster spot for a potential senior transfer for next year. But I give him credit, he was a good teammate, kept out of trouble, got good enough grades to stay eligible and maybe even better than good enough, and didn’t make the Gary Dolphin thing blow up as much as it could have which was something that Barta and Fran did instead.

He is very much a head scratching player. Someone else described him as walking on eggshells and that is somewhat accurate. He was a fallback recruit but recruited by at least 2 Big Ten schools out of high school so it seemed he had potential. He absolutely should have redshirted his first year instead of barely playing on a team that didn’t need him that year. Had an ok sophomore year when playing most minutes out of position and shot decently from the field. Then really regressed this past season in his shooting. He played decent defense but wasn’t a stopper by any means, he just looked good compared to the rest of our team. He had stretches where he was a decent 3pt shooter when open, but that died early this season. And every once in a while he’d bust out one of his baseline drives finished with a reverse layup that would make your jaw drop and wonder why he hasn’t fully tapped that potential. He’s the kind of inconsistent player that many average P5 teams have at the end of their bench that contribute some backup minutes as upperclassmen but otherwise help fill out a roster and scout team. He could be a starter at a low major school, mid major is a possibility too in the right situation. And if he isn’t a starter at a mid major, he’d at least play decent backup minutes. He flashes his potential to be a 3 and D type player at times and potential to be a slasher at others, but never put the whole package together for any decent stretch. Hopefully he does at his next stop and has a lot of success. We’ve seen him shoot 3s, we’ve seen him be a competent ball handler, we’ve seen him show the occasional brilliant drive and finish at the hoop, and we’ve seen that he seems to care about playing D. If he can pull all of those together over a season you actually have a mostly complete player at SF.

Our hickories won't crack.
Skins can't win...…...

I will never forget a kid from Waterloo East shouting that after a High School state championship game......must have been 1992-1994ish time frame. They interviewed him after the game and he proudly proclaimed Waterloo East knew they would win because "Skins can't win"......assumed he was talking about the all white team they had just defeated...……..

So many stupid (and racist) people among us. There is no such things as reverse racism. That is the same as if you called a nazi a Jew who hated Germans because they killed his grandpa. I am often so embarassed to read comments here.
Doing a google search, looks like there is, but every race exhibits racism towards other races in some form - personally, as a group, or codified into law.

At least publicly there is no information that he was anything but a good teammate and solid citizen.
I hope he finds success at a school and level of play suited to his talents, like Ellingson.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT