ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Mooney- potential grad transfer

Just curious Tom, what you know about Fran recruiting grad transfers; serious question, not meant with negativity. He's shown that he's not afraid of recruiting Juco's but I don't ever remember him recruiting grad transfers. I can't remember what he's said about recruiting them. I've always thought he was against it.

Fran has spoken previously about transfers in general as well as Grad. Transfers and in both situations he refers back to his own personal experiance transfering from Wake Forest to Penn.

Pretty much straight forward with prospects in that most transfers are looking to walk into a role (preferrably a starting one), and that's not an easy sell when you build your program around a culture of family and you have your starting back court returning and time vested in them as well as their backups. If a prospect wanted to come in and compete for a job and understands that sure he'd go that route.

I'd say for Iowa to pull in a grad transfer it would have to be due to a LARGE void that needs to be filled and while we all feel there is need for improvement in the backcourt, I as well as Fran the staff and the returning/incoming players feel that they will fill that void. Hard to argue that as well as the time/effort they are spending on 2019 and 2020 recruits. I do not expect there to be any new additions unless more defections take place.

Bohannon
Moss
Baer
Dailey
McCaffery
Wieskamp
Fredrick

If Cook and Moss withdrawl from NBA draft and return we'll be just fine.

PG-Bohannon / McCaffery
OG-Moss / Dailey / Fredrick
SF-Wieskamp / Baer / Nunge
PF-Cook / Pemsl / Nunge
C-Garza / Kriener / Nunge

Reactions: nu2u and perryhawk
He is out of Chicago metro as a prep so early speculation is that he might be looking at a school in Illinois.

He is a scorer for sure, excellent jumper from deep and mid-range.Hit multiple clutch shots and game winners for the Coyotes. Can also get streaky -each way. Average to above average ball handler but occasionally gets out of control. Showed decent ability to drive to the basket in the Summit League - B10 not so sure but he is deceptively quick. Decent defender, makes hustle plays with a gas tank that is never empty, above average rebounder for his size. He plays with a "hate to lose" attitude.

Even though he is a very good mid-major player, it is always risky to predict how a player such as Mooney will translate at a higher level, against better competition. If Bohannon or Moss was graduating/leaving, he would be a very good replacement IMO. Actually, Matt Mooney would probably be an upgrade over Moss IMO but I don't see Fran moving Moss aside to play him. He wants major minutes and he is unlikely to get it at Iowa.

My son goes to SDSU and we both hate/love Mooney. This kid is tough as nails, think Eric May with a jump shot. I believe he would start for Iowa.

My son goes to SDSU and we both hate/love Mooney. This kid is tough as nails, think Eric May with a jump shot. I believe he would start for Iowa.
The appropriate word here is "could". He could start. As I stated earlier, I believe Mooney would be an upgrade over Isaiah Moss. However, Fran would likely stay with Moss thereby relegating Mooney to sub status maybe 10-12 min per game IMO. Mooney will be looking for twice that, or more, wherever he ends up.

The appropriate word here is "could". He could start. As I stated earlier, I believe Mooney would be an upgrade over Isaiah Moss. However, Fran would likely stay with Moss thereby relegating Mooney to sub status maybe 10-12 min per game IMO. Mooney will be looking for twice that, or more, wherever he ends up.
From the video I've seen the kid has quality skills and he would help his efficiency in every category by using his energizer bunny power in fewer more effective minutes.

From the video I've seen the kid has quality skills and he would help his efficiency in every category by using his energizer bunny power in fewer more effective minutes.
I've seen him play maybe 14-15 times, including 4 times in person. He is total effort and play with an attitude guy who can shoot lights out on any given night. He went for 31 points this year against one of the schools who is recruiting him now -TCU.

However, that style has an occasional downside. Against Duke this year, he got confrontational and a bit out of control early, ended up with a TF and sat half the game on the bench ending up with only 3 points (Duke was #1 though). He has Garza's attitude dialed up a notch or two. I'm not saying he is the same talent but IMO Mooney is a combo of Kingsbury's shooters mentality on offense and Jeff Moe's hound dog effort on defense.

Reactions: ZumaHawk
I've seen him play maybe 14-15 times, including 4 times in person. He is total effort and play with an attitude guy who can shoot lights out on any given night. He went for 31 points this year against one of the schools who is recruiting him now -TCU.

However, that style has an occasional downside. Against Duke this year, he got confrontational and a bit out of control early, ended up with a TF and sat half the game on the bench ending up with only 3 points (Duke was #1 though). He has Garza's attitude dialed up a notch or two. I'm not saying he is the same talent but IMO Mooney is a combo of Kingsbury's shooters mentality on offense and Jeff Moe's hound dog effort on defense.
I've only seen videos but he clearly has some skills that Iowa could use. And if Moss isn't coming back It would be a good spot for him to fill in the short term.
I think he is a guy thats gives his all but would better himself with fewer minutes resulting better quality minutes.

If Moss goes, Mooney gets a call. Book it. Only question is will Moss be pushed?
I don't see that happening from Iowa's side. The more I read here the more it sounds a bit like school isn't his favorite thing and that may be the drive there.
Moss has some skills but he showed them far too infrequently so I'm not sure he could get a job away from the NBA either at this point.
Someone will pay Cook to play but without some improvement he won't make it to the NBA. Its pretty unusual for overseas players to improve their game enough to get the NBAs attention.

Why do people see it as an either or scenario? I don't get it.

We lost 19 frickin games last year and guard play was a big reason. Why would anyone's spot be safe?

Fran needs to win now, or this is going to get ugly.

Reactions: David1979
Why do people see it as an either or scenario? I don't get it.

We lost 19 frickin games last year and guard play was a big reason. Why would anyone's spot be safe?

Fran needs to win now, or this is going to get ugly.
Why do you insist on not using rational thought?
Mooney isn't going to come to IC with no court time in his future. With Moss, JB, CJ and CM there is no court time for him to get unless one of those people leaves. And YOU may dream your way around that but that is how its going to play out.
Your desire to bitch and whine will have no bearing on whats going to happen regardless of how many losses you think is too many or how long you think Fran has to coach at Iowa.

Mooney isn't going to come to IC with no court time in his future. With Moss, JB, CJ and CM there is no court time for him to get unless one of those people leaves. And YOU may dream your way around that but that is how its going to play out.
Your desire to bitch and whine will have no bearing on whats going to happen regardless of how many losses you think is too many or how long you think Fran has to coach at Iowa.

Two guys that can't defend a lick, one guy that has played about half hour of college ball and another that has played none? Are you being sarcastic?

Looking rationally at that lineup I see all the court time in the world for a proven scorer that can defend and there is no evidence to suggest otherwise.

When someone disagrees with your opinion calling it bitching isn't a legitimate counter point.

There is no reason not to pursue a grad transfer guard who wants to play defense.

Or maybe "should"?

Two guys that can't defend a lick, one guy that has played about half hour of college ball and another that has played none? Are you being sarcastic?

Looking rationally at that lineup I see all the court time in the world for a proven scorer that can defend and there is no evidence to suggest otherwise.

When someone disagrees with your opinion calling it bitching isn't a legitimate counter point.

There is no reason not to pursue a grad transfer guard who wants to play defense.
Yes, bitching, all season long and continually. And your descriptions of players are your own and clearly not the coaches so again what you think means nothing.
Enjoy your personal misery.

Reactions: hawkeyeinmo
I agree with RnR. Mooney is a better all-round player than any guard on Iowa's roster, and he brings an attitude that is missing from just about everyone except Luka. I have no idea whether there is any mutual interest, but the four guys coming back at guard definitely should not keep Mooney or other top guard transfers from getting plenty of playing time.

Suterman - if you don't mind, do you mean Iowa is not looking at Mooney or not looking for anybody at this point? Thanks

I believe that Fran is going to stand pat with what he has got. I don't believe we even contacted Mooney. Fran and staff have been recruiting 2019 & 2020 real hard. I think Fran likes his guys and likes the 3 new guys (Joe W., Coonor & CJ) he's got to shore up the line up.

I believe that Fran is going to stand pat with what he has got. I don't believe we even contacted Mooney. Fran and staff have been recruiting 2019 & 2020 real hard. I think Fran likes his guys and likes the 3 new guys (Joe W., Coonor & CJ) he's got to shore up the line up.

Thanks for the info Suterman

So basically your mom should have put you up for adoption and looked for a better child that would be happier?

A grad transfer wouldn't effect 2019.

I think it would be foolish to expect 3 freshman to make a significant difference in Ws and Ls next year even as good as Wieskamp is, and what Fran needs is a significant difference in Ws and Ls next year.

So basically your mom should have put you up for adoption and looked for a better child that would be happier?

What a brilliant analogy.

Ok, why don't you go into so more detail on how bringing in a grad transfer is similar to giving up a child. Lets hear it.

You really should have thought that one through better because its just doesn't work on any level.

First, you don't have to give up a player to bring in another one, there are 13 rides available and guess what, you're allowed to use all of them. So fail there.

Second trying to compare having a child to being a scholorship athlete playing for a guy being paid millions to win basketball games is beyond asinine. Sports are all about competition. I mean seriously, its the whole fugging point you big baby. Another fail.

Third, Fran has already recruited over a bunch of his own players. One more fail.

Back to the drawing board with that one.

SIAP in this thread but Indiana coaching staff was in Vermillion SD on Sunday. I imagine it was to visit Mooney.

Reactions: RocknRollface
I've resigned myself to the fact that Connor is Fran's point guard of the future.

Connor is probably going to be a lot better than you think. He is a great, great passer and he gets the ball where it needs to be. Connor is not a slasher but he has good size and has a monster basketball IQ.

Reactions: unoHawkeye
Connor is probably going to be a lot better than you think. He is a great, great passer and he gets the ball where it needs to be. Connor is not a slasher but he has good size and has a monster basketball IQ.
I think he would be fine as the backup pg for the reasons you mention. I worry about his ability to defend most of all. I do think he will be better than his brother in college, though most will disagree with that.

Please Connor concentrate on hoops. Your dad needs you more than Heller does.

If true and it probably is, I find this depressing. I was looking for good news.

A grad transfer wouldn't effect 2019.

I think it would be foolish to expect 3 freshman to make a significant difference in Ws and Ls next year even as good as Wieskamp is, and what Fran needs is a significant difference in Ws and Ls next year.

RnR, some of these people are nuts. Whether Fran is interested in the kids or whether the kid is interested in Iowa, I don't know. But some of the reasons to not get the kid just don't make sense.

We have Cook for probably one more year, why would we not want to put the best guards on the court. Fran would play him, hell, he started freshman this year and put a kid on the bench that had previously played a lot of minutes. Fran isn't afraid to play the kids he feels are the best. At this point Moss isn't getting the job done. If this kid can help win, he'll get the minutes.

Someone was complaining about his temper. Have you guys watched Fran?

RnR, some of these people are nuts. Whether Fran is interested in the kids or whether the kid is interested in Iowa, I don't know. But some of the reasons to not get the kid just don't make sense.

We have Cook for probably one more year, why would we not want to put the best guards on the court. Fran would play him, hell, he started freshman this year and put a kid on the bench that had previously played a lot of minutes. Fran isn't afraid to play the kids he feels are the best. At this point Moss isn't getting the job done. If this kid can help win, he'll get the minutes.

These people have classic Iowa fan syndrome. The Iowa coach is always right and above reproach. I was on this board when some of these "real fans" where defending Lick in his 3rd year. Every player wearing an Iowa uniform can't be criticized and unlike every other player in the country they have potential and just need time to get better. Plus there's always next year philosophy. We're just Iowa philosophy. Remember when Tom Davis resigned philosophy. I've lived in Michigan my whole life and Iowa fans truly are unique which can be a good thing and a bad thing. Michigan fans would not put up with KF.

I figured these transfer threads/ watches were going to be a giant waste of speculation and Suter put the nail in the coffin of any hope I may have had.

Its not like there wouldn't be plenty of time for both. Thats why I said its not even an either or scenario.

It would be the freshman that dont play which is perfectly normal.

Weiskamp will play allot but theres no way Connor and CJ are going to come in right off the bat and be better than a seasoned vet like Mooney. No way.

He plays for a year, they practice, watch and learn.

Moss could still get plenty of court time if he plays with better intensity and plays defense. Hes capable of keeping his starting spot too, a little competition could be just what he needs.

Either way, what ever makes the team the best is what should always happen.

Reactions: millhawk
I'd bet the farm that Fran would rather quit coaching then bring in a graduate transfer. He's all in on 4 year players and basically whiffed on his 2014 and 2015 classes that was a prelude to this years debacle.
With college basketball so competitive his recruiting philosophy is going to be his down fall in the end. Other coaches are taking advantage of the rules and will continue to reap the benefits of experienced and more athletic players made available to them. Fran and his staff are certainly missing the boat in keeping to traditional recruiting.

Reactions: unclesammy
I'll take that bet.

How good is the farm? Acres? CSR?

I'd bet the farm that Fran would rather quit coaching then bring in a graduate transfer. He's all in on 4 year players and basically whiffed on his 2014 and 2015 classes that was a prelude to this years debacle.
With college basketball so competitive his recruiting philosophy is going to be his down fall in the end. Other coaches are taking advantage of the rules and will continue to reap the benefits of experienced and more athletic players made available to them. Fran and his staff are certainly missing the boat in keeping to traditional recruiting.

It's somewhat puzzling to me to see all the excitement and enthusiasm over all these "grad transfer" players. Not one of them has even considered the NBA Draft. Rather pedestrian I'd say.

It's somewhat puzzling to me to see all the excitement and enthusiasm over all these "grad transfer" players. Not one of them has even considered the NBA Draft. Rather pedestrian I'd say.

You don't even make sense. How do you know they haven't considered the NBA draft? And you're suggesting that they're not valuable because they're not NBA material. Well guess what, we're not even asking for NBA caliber players, we're wanting someone who can win games in College.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT