ADVERTISEMENT

MBB Power 6 Conference Standings over the Last 200 Games

Google: Bruce Pearl - Deon Thomas - Chevy Blazer
CVwjeG.gif

Unfortunately fans have become complacent about Iowa basketball. Everyone bemoaned Lickliters slow down basketball, Fran brings in a high tempo, high powered offense and fans complain about no defense. Attendance numbers have waned. Is it that Fran's style of play is getting stale, antics are growing old, or nepotism with his boys ticked people off? I actually feel start times have hurt a lot, disinterest by students has really hurt, younger generation has other interests and CHA is not the best venue.

I've always thought Fran was a good developer of talent and has a very good eye for talent. I actually think Fran will be a better coach without his boys around. This year's team should be more athletic, stronger inside and will play better defense. Fran's substitution patterns have been perplexing at times but that could change if he stays with the hot hand.

Will be an interesting year, especially with the four newcomers. West coast travel will bring a new dimension.

Reactions: HoustonREDHawk
Google: Bruce Pearl - Deon Thomas - Chevy Blazer

Iowa Assistant Coach Bruce Pearl recorded a phone conversation with recruit Deon Thomas saying an Illinois assistant coach offered him $80,000 and a Chevy Blazer to come to Illinois. Illinois obviously denied the allegations. Thomas later said he made it up to get off the phone with Pearl and that none of the violations happened. There ended up being lawsuits and NCAA investigations into the allegations. It made an intense rivalry between Iowa and Illinois in the early 1990’s even that much larger.

Illinois was found to be in violation of several infractions (no major violations) but lack of institutional control was one of them. They received a one year post season ban and two years of scholarship restrictions.
40 years and 5 Illinois coaches ago...

That's a deeeeeeeeeep cut. No wonder I didn't recognize the reference.

40 years and 5 Illinois coaches ago...

That's a deeeeeeeeeep cut. No wonder I didn't recognize the reference.
Old farts like me remember how much Lou Doo and his bag man cheated, but that is chump change compared to what is going on now. Most of us didn't realize how slimy Bruce Pearl is/was until he left Iowa. Since Pearl was an extension of Dr Tom, maybe Iowa wasn't so clean back then either. All that has gone out the window with the transfer portal and NIL, but the hatred of Illannoy still persists.

Underwood isn't bringing in all of this talent because kids like to wear orange, but it is now how the game is played.

Actually ,

Actually, a lot of people care about the regular season, including myself. It’s crazy to think the first 27 games don’t matter, only the last couple.

I agree. I don't watch the regular-season games each week worrying about how the team will do in the post-season. I watch those games because I want to see the Hawks beat the current opponent. I also want them to acquire the best conference record they can.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT