ADVERTISEMENT

Media Day: Dembele, Koch & Traore battling for Starting 4 spot. Brock will be playing A LOT MORE. Owen Logo 3s? Dix at the 1, Pryce at the 2

plays 13 guys in November..until they start losing B1G games..shortens rotation to win some games..rinse and repeat.

Some key dates/games, imo. Can we finally start the B1G season off at 2-0?

Oct 25: exhibition
Nov 4: Texas A&M Commerce (1st game that counts)
Nov 15: vs Washington State (in Moline)
Nov 22: vs Utah State (in Kansas City)

Dec 3: vs Northwestern
Dec 7: at Michigan
Dec 12: vs Iowa State

Dec 21 vs Utah (In Sioux Falls)

Jan 3: at Wisconsin

Full Schedule:

Should I read something into it that he mentions newcomers Koch and Traore, but not Tadjo?
Fran mentions that it's mostly the mental side of the game with Tadjo. Sounds like he's new to breaking down film, there's a bit of a language barrier, he's hard on himself in practice which I took as he makes a lot of mistakes. Fran said it's a unique problem to deal with. Physically it sounds like he's all there. I don't think we'll see a lot of Tadjo in big games unfortunately, especially early in the season. That's how I'm reading Fran's comments.

I think Tadjo is just RAW. I commented on this on the other site because I found Jamie Shaw's On3 ranking a bit high for what I saw on film Jamie responded by saying that their rankings were based on NBA potential, not college potential, but I still think you have to really look hard at his skill level not just his athleticism. I thought he was a Top 125 type player and I think they had him Top 60 or higher.

He has great highlights because he's athletic, but when you watch full games he is mainly succeeding off of transition and offensive putbacks more than offensive skill level. When he tries to attack in the half court he has just a linear drive to the rim and very basic moves in the post, and a very limited face up game so guys can play off him. If he can't overwhelm you with his strength and athleticism then he can't create his own offense in the half court, pure and simple. He's more physical than Cook but also less skilled imo. Definitely a cross between Doug Thomas and Tyler Cook for sure.

Defensively on film he was inconsistent. His effort is A+, but his awareness is C+. He will make some amazing blocks, and then at times not contest the shot at all. He will rotate hard and athletically one time, but then miss a rotation the next.

He just needs a year at this level. Not sure he will ever be a great creator on offense, which means he likely won't be an NBA player, but he can be a great complimentary player who sits in the dunkers spot and takes lobs, dump offs and grabs offensive boards while also playing the screen and roll on the perimeter. On defense he can guard 3 through 5 and can switch on most players without being exposed. He's great in transition like Doug Thomas but with better ball handling. He's not really a half court ball handler, but in transition he's fine.

I think the other bigs are just much more skilled and can space the floor. Fran values skill and spacing so I think that's why he's perhaps a bit behind in the rotation. But he can still be a key piece for us.

Reactions: chaneccooms
Some key dates/games, imo. Can we finally start the B1G season off at 2-0?

Oct 25: exhibition
Nov 4: Texas A&M Commerce (1st game that counts)
Nov 15: vs Washington State (in Moline)
Nov 22: vs Utah State (in Kansas City)

Dec 3: vs Northwestern
Dec 7: at Michigan
Dec 12: vs Iowa State

Dec 21 vs Utah (In Sioux Falls)

Jan 3: at Wisconsin

Full Schedule:

By Christmas, we should have a pretty good idea what we have, and Fran should have figured out the basic rotation he wants to go with. We need to stop losing the first two B1G games! With the nucleus returning, I don't see any reason to have more than 2 losses heading into 2025, although there are 5 or 6 losable games. Anything better than two losses at Christmas would be great.

Reactions: Franisdaman
A lot of good reads & agree with someone else where it sounds like Pryce will make a jump, forcing Fran to play him more. Too much god talk though, that was lame to see.

David Eickholt, a beat reporter for 24/7, reported on July 8 that he wouldn't be surprised to see Traore start at the 4.

On June 5 I wondered if this would be the rotations. Hopefully Fran does not go much deeper than 10.

Note that there are just 2 seniors in the top 10.

Starting 5:
6’3” PG Drew Thelwell (SR)
6'5" SG Josh Dix (JR)
6'7" F Payton Sandfort (SR)
6’7” PF Seydou Traore (SO)
6'10" C Owen Freeman (SO)

Next 5 off the bench:
6'0" PG Brock Harding (SO)
6'7" F Cooper Koch (FR)
6'7" F Pryce Sandfort (SO)
6'8" PF Ladji Dembele (SO)
6'8" PF Chris Tadjo (FR)

Other 3 scholarship players:
6'11" C Riley Mulvey (JR)
6'9" F/C Even Brauns (SR)
6'5" SG Carter Kingsbury (JR)
Admittedly it's kinda nice not seeing any McCaffery kids in the lineups.

• Wow
Reactions: Franisdaman
I think Tadjo is just RAW. I commented on this on the other site because I found Jamie Shaw's On3 ranking a bit high for what I saw on film Jamie responded by saying that their rankings were based on NBA potential, not college potential, but I still think you have to really look hard at his skill level not just his athleticism. I thought he was a Top 125 type player and I think they had him Top 60 or higher.

He has great highlights because he's athletic, but when you watch full games he is mainly succeeding off of transition and offensive putbacks more than offensive skill level. When he tries to attack in the half court he has just a linear drive to the rim and very basic moves in the post, and a very limited face up game so guys can play off him. If he can't overwhelm you with his strength and athleticism then he can't create his own offense in the half court, pure and simple. He's more physical than Cook but also less skilled imo. Definitely a cross between Doug Thomas and Tyler Cook for sure.

Defensively on film he was inconsistent. His effort is A+, but his awareness is C+. He will make some amazing blocks, and then at times not contest the shot at all. He will rotate hard and athletically one time, but then miss a rotation the next.

He just needs a year at this level. Not sure he will ever be a great creator on offense, which means he likely won't be an NBA player, but he can be a great complimentary player who sits in the dunkers spot and takes lobs, dump offs and grabs offensive boards while also playing the screen and roll on the perimeter. On defense he can guard 3 through 5 and can switch on most players without being exposed. He's great in transition like Doug Thomas but with better ball handling. He's not really a half court ball handler, but in transition he's fine.

I think the other bigs are just much more skilled and can space the floor. Fran values skill and spacing so I think that's why he's perhaps a bit behind in the rotation. But he can still be a key piece for us.
Good stuff. Hopefully he finds his niche and earns playing time. Let the thoroughbred run!
200.gif

One hidden factor last year that caused a dropoff from 2022 was rebounding.
  • Our Team Defensive Rebound % last year was 70.8% (279th). The year prior it was 74.2 (142nd).
  • Our team Offensive Rebound % last year was 25.2 (230th). The year prior it was 30.3% (67th).
The reason this sticks out to me as a big cause of our dropoff is because in terms of FG% offense and defense we actually were better:
  • Effective FG% Offense: 52.8% (67th) last year compared to 51.7% (107th) the year prior.
  • Effective FG% Defense: 52.3% (275th) last year compared to 53.3% (308th) the year prior.
  • Turnovers per Possession: 12.9% (5th) last year compared to 13.7% (8th) the year prior.
  • Opponent Turnovers perPossessions: 16.1% (212th) last year compared to 17.9% (164th) the year prior.
Essentially, we both shot better and defended the shot better last year, but we didn't get as many extra possessions from offensive rebounding and gave up extra possessions due to defensive rebounding and that difference in number of possessions more than offset the FG% improvements.

We did see some improvement in turnovers per possession on both offense and defense and that led to a couple extra possessions per game, but overall I think Rebounding was our achilles heel.

Why should rebounding be better this year?

1. No Patrick - 6.7% Total Rebound % last year, which is poor for his size even playing the SF spot.
2. No Krikke - 9.3% Total Rebound % last year, which is really, really poor for a PF/C spot
3. Bigger, better Freeman - 16.0% Total Rebound % last year
4. Still have Payton Sandfort - 11.9% Total Rebound % from PF spot last year, but now will be in the SF spot replacing Patrick's 6.7%
5. More Dembele - 10.1% Total Rebound %, should be higher this year
6. Added Traore - 14.5% Total Rebound % last year. Small for a B10 PF, but that's a good % for a SF/PF combo
7. Big guards - hoping that Dix and Pryce and Thelwell can provide some help from the guard position, especially on the defensive glass

• Our Team Defensive Rebound % last year was 70.8% (279th). The year prior it was 74.2 (142nd).
  • Our team Offensive Rebound % last year was 25.2 (230th). The year prior it was 30.3% (67th).
The reason this sticks out to me as a big cause of our dropoff is because in terms of FG% offense and defense we actually were better:
  • Effective FG% Offense: 52.8% (67th) last year compared to 51.7% (107th) the year prior.
  • Effective FG% Defense: 52.3% (275th) last year compared to 53.3% (308th) the year prior.
  • Turnovers per Possession: 12.9% (5th) last year compared to 13.7% (8th) the year prior.
  • Opponent Turnovers perPossessions: 16.1% (212th) last year compared to 17.9% (164th) the year prior.
Essentially, we both shot better and defended the shot better last year, but we didn't get as many extra possessions from offensive rebounding and gave up extra possessions due to defensive rebounding and that difference in number of possessions more than offset the FG% improvements.

We did see some improvement in turnovers per possession on both offense and defense and that led to a couple extra possessions per game, but overall I think Rebounding was our achilles heel.

1. No Patrick - 6.7% Total Rebound % last year, which is poor for his size even playing the SF spot.
2. No Krikke - 9.3% Total Rebound % last year, which is really, really poor for a PF/C spot
4. Still have Payton Sandfort - 11.9% Total Rebound % from PF spot last year, but now will be in the SF spot replacing Patrick's 6.7%
6. Added Traore - 14.5% Total Rebound % last year. Small for a B10 PF, but that's a good % for a SF/PF combo
7. Big guards - hoping that Dix and Pryce and Thelwell can provide some help from the guard position, especially on the defensive glass
Good analysis, consistent with what some of us have been saying for a couple of months, with a lot more detail. Only point where there might be question is whether our guards will rebound better. Tony hit the boards a lot harder than I expect Harding/Thelwell will. Much better rebounding and interior defense from the guys taking Patrick and Krikke's minutes will be almost a certainty.

Reactions: DanHawkPella

Good stuff. I think I posted we averaged giving up 11 offensive rebounds per game last season. Cut that back to 7 or less and that's 4 or more possessions per game and possibly 4-6 more points per game. And 4-5 less shots for the opponents, maybe 6 points less given up. That's a big spread & should be a huge point of emphasis.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT