ADVERTISEMENT

Megan Gustafson / Dallas Wings Finish their Season at 10 Wins, 24 Losses (T-2nd worst WNBA Record)

1. Wow, after his initial criticisms of Megan, it seems like Coach Agler has finally seen the light. Gushing about her work ethic to the press and now this...

Reactions: Franisdaman
  1. Wow, after his initial criticisms of Megan, it seems like Coach Agler has finally seen the light. Gushing about her work ethic to the press and now this...
it's almost like they are indirectly saying "sorry, we know we f'd up cutting her before the season started...."

at the same time, Megan does look like a different player; she is lighter, she is running the court better, she is shooting 3's

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
Sat Aug 3

75 Las Vegas
70 Dallas

Megan played just 5 minutes and had 1 offensive rebound. She was 0-1 from the field (missed a left hand bank shot that normally is automatic) and was called for 1 foul.

Aug 8, 2019
57 Dallas
69 Seattle

In this game the 5 Dallas starters all played between 29 and 36 minutes. The 5 Dallas starters played 164 of the 200 possible minutes. That left 36 minutes for the bench players. Only ONE Dallas bench player (Davis, a guard) played significant minutes (19).

Megan's stats:
5 minutes (of possible 40)
0 Points
0-0 in 2 pt FGs
0-0 in 3 pt FGs
0-0 FTs
0 Rebounds (0 Offensive)
0 Steals
0 Blocks
0 Assists
0 Turnovers
1 Fouls
-4 in +/

For complete box score, go here: https://www.espn.com/wnba/boxscore?gameId=401105048

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2019
80 Dallas
77 Phoenix

In this game the 5 Dallas starters all played between 28 and 37 minutes. The 5 Dallas starters played 159 of the 200 possible minutes.

That left 41 minutes for 5 bench players who saw action.

Megan's stats:
6 minutes (of possible 40)
0 Points
0-1 in 2 pt FGs
0-0 in 3 pt FGs
0-0 FTs
1 Rebounds (0 Offensive)
0 Steals
0 Blocks
0 Assists
0 Turnovers
3 Fouls
-6 in +/

For complete box score, go here: https://www.espn.com/wnba/boxscore?gameId=401105052

I was at the game last night, with teenage daughter in Hawkeye gear. We sat three rows back behind the visitor bench and it was fun seeing the team dynamics from that close. The coach kind of seems like a tool, but hard to know for sure. Megan was locked in, focussed on the game the whole time, and her team-first mentality was clear and on full display.

In short, she is representing Iowa very very well.

The fight included, it was a very entertaining game.

Britney Griner. Yikes. She was ejected along with five others after this fight.

Megan should get a lot of playing time in the next game. Three of the six ejected players were Wings. WNBA league policy is a minimum one-game suspension for either leaving the bench or participating in a fight. Dallas was down to only nine healthy players already. So unless the league chooses to stagger the suspensions, Megan will be the bench.

Megan should get a lot of playing time in the next game. Three of the six ejected players were Wings. WNBA league policy is a minimum one-game suspension for either leaving the bench or participating in a fight. Dallas was down to only nine healthy players already. So unless the league chooses to stagger the suspensions, Megan will be the bench.

I’m not counting on it with Coach Agler on the sidelines.

They played 10 Saturday night....did someone get hurt during the game? I haven't had time to watch it yet, will probably do so tomorrow.

They played 10 Saturday night....did someone get hurt during the game? I haven't had time to watch it yet, will probably do so tomorrow.

You are right. I checked the box score again. They did play 10 not 9, so that would leave Megan and one other for the bench in theory.

A full roster is 12, but the Wings have two players out injured.

Britney Griner. Yikes. She was ejected along with five others after this fight.

UPDATE: The suspension news is out. Two Dallas players got two games each. A third got one game, but it will be delayed until after the other two in order to maintain the minimum eight-player roster for the Wings. Still should get Megan a little more playing time in the short term.

Griner got three games, which should be interesting. She already was quoted that any suspension will impact her decision to stay in the WNBA.

https://www.wnba.com/news/wnba-anno...as-wings-at-phoenix-mercury-game-altercation/

Last edited:
Reactions: Franisdaman
Game turned around when she came in. She may not light up the scoreboard, but the team often plays better when she's in.

Aug 16, 2019
77 New York Liberty
83 Dallas Wings

Dallas only played 8 players last night and Megan still got little playing time.

In this game the 5 Dallas starters all played between 24 and 35 minutes. The 5 Dallas starters played 151 of the 200 possible minutes.

That left 49 minutes for the THREE bench players; 8 of those minutes went to Megan. 19 went to the other Dallas center; the remaining 22 went to a Dallas guard.

Megan's stats:
8 minutes (of possible 40)
0 Points
0-0 in 2 pt FGs
0-1 in 3 pt FGs
0-0 FTs
1 Rebounds (1 Offensive)
0 Steals
1 Blocks
0 Assists
0 Turnovers
1 Fouls
+3 in +/

For complete box score, go here: https://www.espn.com/wnba/boxscore?gameId=401105064

As long as she hangs in there, she may get a break. I have no doubt that she can compete well at this level. Anybody besides me think she looks a little lost on defense? She may be having some trouble with so many quick, aggressive players speeding up the game. Wish her luck.

Reactions: And1Hawk
"hey....hold me back and I'm going to act like I wanna kick someone's as".

That Billy Greiner guy sure threw a few flailing "swings".

UPDATE: The suspension news is out. Two Dallas players got two games each. A third got one game, but it will be delayed until after the other two in order to maintain the minimum eight-player roster for the Wings. Still should get Megan a little more playing time in the short term.

Griner got three games, which should be interesting. She already was quoted that any suspension will impact her decision to stay in the WNBA.

https://www.wnba.com/news/wnba-anno...as-wings-at-phoenix-mercury-game-altercation/

I saw an ESPN interview of her post brawl and she has a deeper voice than most men.

Wow, she is "something."

LOL

Yep. 6'9 " height and a very deep voice are both normal for a woman....

As you can see in this video, Griner feels underpaid and unappreciated in the WNBA.

Watch:

Last edited:
With 8 minutes to go in the game and Dallas down 73-52, Megan had only played 2 minutes (all in the 1st half). Megan entered the game at this point and played the final 8 minutes..

The one and only TV announcer said a bus load of people had come from Megan's home town in Wisconsin to see her play.

I am starting to think there is some sort of dissension on the team. She played 10 minutes and took zero shots. They must be playing her away from the basket and the guards don't pass to her.

I am starting to think there is some sort of dissension on the team. She played 10 minutes and took zero shots. They must be playing her away from the basket and the guards don't pass to her.
In the 1st half when she played the 2 minutes, she was wide open under the basket and they didn't see her(or look for her); this has happened many other times in games.

when they run their half court offense, she is mostly up top setting screens for guards and then she goes down to post up but she never touches the ball

she actually did a great job guarding Sylvia Fowles; much better than the other Wings players who tried guarding her

Reactions: BGHAWK
It's one thing to get a shot and fail, but another to not truly get a shot. It sounds like she's being treated like the kid the coach hates, but has to deal with, so will screw over.

Aug 22, 2019
70 Dallas Wings
86 Minnesota Lynx

Dallas played 10 players last night in a blow out loss; Megan continues to get little playing time.

Megan's stats:
10 minutes (of possible 40)
0 Points
0-0 in 2 pt FGs
0-0 in 3 pt FGs
0-0 FTs
3 Rebounds (0 Offensive)
0 Steals
0 Blocks
0 Assists
1 Turnovers
0 Fouls
+5 in +/

For complete box score, go here: https://www.espn.com/wnba/boxscore?gameId=401105076

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT