ADVERTISEMENT

**** Men's NCAA Tournament ****

Gotta love the jump ball calls, when the defender never touched the ball. ISU hacked that big dude like crazy

Good for you. You went with the favorite and were correct.

Actually, out of the 13 times Alford has taken a team to the NCAA (Division 1) tournament, he has won at least 1 game 7 times. Fran is 6/12.

I don't like the guy either, but I also don't pick games based on whether I hate the coach or not.

The consensus is Alford is a horrible coach despite what he did at Iowa being not that far from what Fran has done. Fran a little better in Big10 play but far,far worse in BTT. Neither good in NCAA tourney play.

Alford seemed to lose the fans before the Piere Pierce issue because of arrogance. I've always been about wins, so Alford was okay at first but he lost his recruiting mojo and his handling of Marcus Sommerville was not smart. Alford left on his own...wish Fran would do the same if he doesn't get any hardware next year.

Watching ISU, I'm jealous. I don't get Fran being a zilch in Portal and not giving a chit about defense and not being able to recruit guards.

Well FWIW, ISU has shot 81% from the field, that won’t happen all game and it’s now a seven point lead.

Keeping in mind of course I’m actually a pretty big Iowa State fan and expected them to win this game handily but it’s a little premature here.

I have Washington St. beating ISU in Tournament in next game, so my bracket says ISU doesn't get their 2nd sweet16 in 3 years of TJ.

I'd give my left nut for a Top10 rating, high conference finish, winning conference tournament over a Top4 team. I think ISU team is flawed because they don't have enough offense, but amazing what you can do just putting out 4 athletes and 1 shooter and having them play hard on defense.

The consensus is Alford is a horrible coach despite what he did at Iowa being not that far from what Fran has done. Fran a little better in Big10 play but far,far worse in BTT. Neither good in NCAA tourney play.

Alford seemed to lose the fans before the Piere Pierce issue because of arrogance. I've always been about wins, so Alford was okay at first but he lost his recruiting mojo and his handling of Marcus Sommerville was not smart. Alford left on his own...wish Fran would do the same if he doesn't get any hardware next year.

Watching ISU, I'm jealous. I don't get Fran being a zilch in Portal and not giving a chit about defense and not being able to recruit guards.

I'm jealous of some of the S. Dakota St. athletes. So tired of the "little ole Iowa can't recruit quick athletes at the guard position BS"

I have Washington St. beating ISU in Tournament in next game, so my bracket says ISU doesn't get their 2nd sweet16 in 3 years of TJ.

I'd give my left nut for a Top10 rating, high conference finish, winning conference tournament over a Top4 team. I think ISU team is flawed because they don't have enough offense, but amazing what you can do just putting out 4 athletes and 1 shooter and having them play hard on defense.

Not for me, I love defense. It’s all about effort. Fran doesn’t recruit the “effort”…and I hope Wazzoo loses to Drake!

I think that was his assistant Neal's influence. Neal was actually the smart one in that coaching duo.

That didn’t turn out to be true. He wrecked New Mexico and they had a proud program. Another team I’ve always been a closet fan of.

You say this like Iowa doesn't do it almost every single tourney game they've been involved in for the last 20 years.

[see: Alford's epic collapse vs NW St, Fran's never having made the Sweet16, etc]
Nope. Iowa is an even bigger offender.
But, illinois has done it too. At least illinois made up for it in the second half; Hawks would not have turned it around.

My gawd, not sure if this comment has already been made, but is there an uglier living creature on this earth than Texas’ Chendall Weaver?

Reactions: flynnhicks03
That didn’t turn out to be true. He wrecked New Mexico and they had a proud program. Another team I’ve always been a closet fan of.
Neal was good assistant but didn't have charisma to be a head coach. I think Neal ran into issues at N. Mexico when he ehmmmm....he kept playing his own boy who wasn't as good as papa thought he was. Even Alford got into some trouble playing his own boy at UCLA, but Alfords kid could shoot the ball really well, but sucked on defense.

Reactions: cmhawks99
Not possible. According to many on this board you can't get coaches better than Fran, or recruit quality players to the State of Iowa.

Or maybe it's just the University of Iowa this applies to.

Not sure I’ve ever actually seen that…just for the record!

Calipari ranks right up there with Pitino, Coach K, Self, Roy Williams, and Izzo on the coaches you just love to see get upset. This would be sweet if Oakland can pull this out.

You think Fran watches any of these games and thinks that maybe recruiting some guys who can actually get up and defend along w/ maybe a coach or two who are excellent at defense would be in his best interest as a coach?

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
If Jack Gohlke has any eligibility left Iowa needs to buy him for next season.

I’ve done at least a half dozen brackets and I don’t think I have Kentucky going any less than the elite and all of them

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT