ADVERTISEMENT

Message to our youth?

GunnerHawk

HR All-American
Mar 16, 2014
It is alright to cheat, as long as you win.

Was thinking about the JJ McCarthy interview where he confirmed that the players knew about the sign stealing scam. If they knew, Harbaugh knew. McCarthy said, we were doing it because Ohio State stole signs. I was taught, two wrongs don't make a right.

What kind of message are we sending kids today. It's alright to cheat because somebody else does? Tommy was copying school work, so I can too?

Poaching players from other schools is rampant. Players are being contacted or their family and offered NIL money while at other schools. Ole Miss and Louisville seem to have mastered the practice. Players commit to them the day of or several days after entering the portal. Pay for play is what college sports is becoming. If these teams win, is it good coaching or the best team money can buy?

The sad thing regarding Michigan is that they were a darn good football team, I hate to admit. They didn't need to steal signs to win a chanpionship.

Last edited:
Nepotism is kinda like cheating, right? In our case, it sure hurt the program far more than any signal stealing case....
Nepotism is also defined as hiring someone you already have a relationship with. So pretty much every football team everywhere is guilty of nepotism because it's smart business to hire people that you know will bring a good working chemistry.

Why people are so sensitive to this dynamic when it involves family members is beyond me. Welcome to football and welcome to life

• Haha
Reactions: Here_4_a_Day
Nepotism is also defined as hiring someone you already have a relationship with. So pretty much every football team everywhere is guilty of nepotism because it's smart business to hire people that you know will bring a good working chemistry.

Why people are so sensitive to this dynamic when it involves family members is beyond me. Welcome to football and welcome to life
Maybe because it's nearly always against policies prohibiting it. And for good reason. Hiring people you're familiar with is often ideal because you're more likely to know what they can/cannot do. People are unlikely to stick their necks out for individuals who they feel are unqualified based upon what they know about them.

Hiring family members is more likely to involve people who's most attractive attribute is their love for them. Evaluating/compensating family members is a biased exercise much more likely to result in the continued employment of someone who is unfit for their role and failing at their job. I can't believe I have to explain this.

Was thinking about the JJ McCarthy interview where he confirmed that the players knew about the sign stealing scam. If they knew, Harbaugh knew. McCarthy said, we were doing it because Ohio State stole signs. I was taught, two wrongs don't make a right.

What kind of message are we sending kids today. It's alright to cheat because somebody else does? Tommy was copying school work, so I can too?

Poaching players from other schools is rampant. Players are being contacted or their family and offered NIL money while at other schools. Ole Miss and Louusville seem to have mastered the practice. Players commit to them the day of or several days after entering the portal. Pay for play is what college sports is becoming. If these teams win, is it good coaching or the best team money can buy?

The sad thing regarding Michigan is that they were a darn good football team, I hate to admit. They didn't need to steal signs to win a chanpionship.
Didn't they though? They started winning more about 3 or 4 years ago when they started stealing signs.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
Nepotism is kinda like cheating, right? In our case, it sure hurt the program far more than any signal stealing case....

Nepotism is self dealing---doing things that benefit your family using your position of authority. That seems more like cheating your employer---which is the University of Iowa and its fans that provide the eyeballs to finance the system. It is also cheating other coaches/players that based on merit would have had the positions that were self dealt.

Harbaugh was merely cheating vs other coaches and fanbases, not his own fanbase.

Nepotism is actually more insidious/lower character trait imho.

We already knew Harbaugh was scumball that would do anything to win, so there was no change in my perception of him after the sign stealing came out.

Reactions: DewHawk
College football is the Wild West now. Really no rules, little enforcement even if what rules are still out there. The NCAA should be dissolved regarding football. A lot of what’s happening now is because of a weak and ineffective NCAA.

Poaching players from other schools is rampant. Players are being contacted or their family and offered NIL money while at other schools. Ole Miss and Louusville seem to have mastered the practice. Players commit to them the day of or several days after entering the portal. Pay for play is what college sports is becoming. If these teams win, is it good coaching or the best team money can buy?

It is not just sports my friend.

You make a valid point about cheating and how it sends the wrong message. However, the "If you ain't cheating you ain't trying" mentality is pretty pervasive i.e. baseball has been trying to steal signs for a very long time to the point where it is almost expected. What about the message that NIL sends? Money Talks ...? There are a host of life lessons that youth are "supposed" to learn by participating in a team sport that are basically discarded.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
No Kid or Prospect who signs with Michigan under Harbaugh doesn't go in there knowing He is a slimy individual who will do what is best for Harbaugh , I mean He is always skirting rules and looking for the next job but the Guy wins so People look past those Character issues.

Maybe because it's nearly always against policies prohibiting it. And for good reason. Hiring people you're familiar with is often ideal because you're more likely to know what they can/cannot do. People are unlikely to stick their necks out for individuals who they feel are unqualified based upon what they know about them.

Hiring family members is more likely to involve people who's most attractive attribute is their love for them. Evaluating/compensating family members is a biased exercise much more likely to result in the continued employment of someone who is unfit for their role and failing at their job. I can't believe I have to explain this.
All can be true in the business world. But most of this can be argued against in the football world and in Brian's case. And policies against it certainly don't apply in football.

It can't be understated that hiring people you already have a relationship with IS NEPOTISM. They don't have to be family. This practice is more than common place in football and the candidates are qualified. Football is a group activity that literally functions as a group. Coaches are working TOGETHER every day. How people get along in the building is fundamental to building a staff.

Nothing is thought of any of this other than standard. But as soon as it involves family members people get all bent out of shape about it. Similar thing happened in men's basketball

All can be true in the business world. But most of this can be argued against in the football world and in Brian's case. And policies against it certainly don't apply in football.

It can't be understated that hiring people you already have a relationship with IS NEPOTISM. They don't have to be family. This practice is more than common place in football and the candidates are qualified. Football is a group activity that literally functions as a group. Coaches are working TOGETHER every day. How people get along in the building is fundamental to building a staff.

Nothing is thought of any of this other than standard. But as soon as it involves family members people get all bent out of shape about it. Similar thing happened in men's basketball
No matter how often you say family is the same as familiar, it's not the same and yes, the policy absolutely applies to football. That's why Brian reported to Barta in the org chart. Nothing you've stated above is different from any other organization. Hiring family is a recipe for disaster. I speak from experience and Brian is exhibit A.

Reactions: Bierhalter
1db85c9d-fd04-4d0d-aff1-763dbb9ee81a_text.gif

The coaching community is a pretty small fraternity. I wasn't upset that BF was given the opportunity to be the OC. He had a coaching resume. However, at what point should KF said... this isn't your area and made a change. Nepotism happens all the time. Don't both Brand brothers coach the Iowa wresting team? If you're winning nobody cares!

It is not just sports my friend.
Unfortunately, that is true. I was taught that ethics above all else. It was hard sometimes in business because we lost contracts because of unethical behavior. It generally comes around at bites you in the ass though. I have little or no respect for politicians, they are lower than a snakes belly. I could go on and on. The decline of society.

And Harbaughs son is on his coaching staff as well...double dipped.

Unfortunately, that is true. I was taught that ethics above all else. It was hard sometimes in business because we lost contracts because of unethical behavior. It generally comes around at bites you in the ass though. I have little or no respect for politicians, they are lower than a snakes belly. I could go on and on. The decline of society.
Ethics and morals are no longer a part of day-to-day living. Those have been tossed out and replaced with pronouns.

Nepotism is self dealing---doing things that benefit your family using your position of authority. That seems more like cheating your employer---which is the University of Iowa and its fans that provide the eyeballs to finance the system. It is also cheating other coaches/players that based on merit would have had the positions that were self dealt.

Harbaugh was merely cheating vs other coaches and fanbases, not his own fanbase.

Nepotism is actually more insidious/lower character trait imho.

We already knew Harbaugh was scumball that would do anything to win, so there was no change in my perception of him after the sign stealing came out.
Really? You think nepotism is worse than actually breaking rules and playing fair?

Well, then you are in luck. Harbaugh's son is on the staff at Michigan.

Reactions: obfuscating

Poaching players from other schools is rampant. Players are being contacted or their family and offered NIL money while at other schools. Ole Miss and Louisville seem to have mastered the practice. Players commit to them the day of or several days after entering the portal. Pay for play is what college sports is becoming. If these teams win, is it good coaching or the best team money can buy?

The message to everyone (not just youth) is to do whatever is necessary to win. In sports, business, politics, whatever. Winning is all that matters and it must be achieved at all cost.

The punishment for "breaking the rules" has never been very much of a deterrent in this country, and it's getting more lopsided in favor of cheating.

Why, you can be a lying, cheating SOB and still become POTUS!

Reactions: Torg
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT