ADVERTISEMENT

Methodists and Homosexuality...

This is one of the many reasons I want to see Pete emerge to challenge Trump. It will bring this stuff out of the woodwork and squarely align it with the Republican Party. Even if Trump himself (to his credit, I might add!) is legit cool with the ghey, some of his allies wont be able to help themselves with the "fire and brimstone" and "abomination" verbiage. I truly believe that Trump does not have a single anti-gay belief in his heart at all, but his hand is simply forced to sign off on some anti-gay policies because of a political calculation requiring a payoff to the Religious Right in exchange for giving him a free pass. He needs those people and can't win if they feel apathy.

There was a time, not all that long ago...when this culture war with sexuality was a winner in the suburbs, 2020 is not that time. It's a huge wet blanket for everyone who's not already a 100% Religious right/straight ticket voter.

The issue of homosexuals serving as pastors in the Methodist church is gonna split the Methodist Church wide open. A lesbian pastor in Iowa City is the center of the controversy right now.
It is hard for me to understand how a Church dedicated to the life of Jesus Christ can want to be so exclusionary of its people to the point of expulsion. It is one of the many mysteries of religion to me.
If homosexuality was no longer a fundraising boogyman for them, they'd be down to abortion and would then need to rail on folks who sin in all the other ways. Then they'd lose more membership.

Just one man’s opinion but a lot of good intentions in this thread but both sides are missing the point.

Non-Christians/Methodists - Lots of pointing to the Old Testament for examples of crude/immoral behavior of which there are lots. None of it however was allowed by God. Basically lots of straw-man arguments being made here.

Christian/Methodists - Focus on sections of the Bible of which do clearly state homosexuality is a sin (both Old & New Testaments). Additionally, lots of focus on Christianity and the Golden Rule/forgiveness.

All good talking points above on both sides but still misses THE point.

The discussion is about one sect of the Church deciding not to allow leadership who is openly committing sin to not lead.

Let's be clear - God hates sin! He abhors it! He cannot be in the presence of sin. That is why he sent His Son to die for us, to pay that ransom we do not deserve. We have all been judged as sinners from birth. None of us could prove our worthiness!

Many stories documented in the Old Testament where the Jews repeatedly, over & over again strayed from the first mission of surrendering all to God. They wrote their own laws and thought they had the inside-track. If you want to know why the Old Testament is so long it is because there are countless stories of the Jews straying from God's path and time and time again, God shows compassion to try to get them back on track. Time and time and time again the Jews strayed but God was forever faithful. Like a good parent though, God had to use some pretty forceful tactics to get their attention!

Now, in this particular case, we are talking about the sin of homosexuality. Had the pastor used fowl language, used the church's finances inappropriately, or got too close with a minor then the church would be right to remove them from leadership as well. The Bible clearly states that those who lead the church will be held to a higher standard. The right to remove is Biblically just.

Should the Methodist church forgive and provide compassion? Sure, they do not have to kick them out of the family and can provide counsel to them to get them back on the right path.

Christians (Methodists included) first purpose is not to forgive and provide compassion. The Golden Rule is a nice cornerstone for a daily framework to live a God-inspired life. But it is not our first mission.

Where many folks get confused by what being a Christian means, is that to be a Christian means to SURRENDER to Jesus Christ, your personal Lord and Savior. That is our first mission!

This means you should surrender your time, your finances, your heart, and all of your desires and put them at the feet of God. If you accept this, then you also accept that Jesus is truth, Biblical truth, and you should speak it and act on it. As the Methodist leadership did when they decided to not give in to modern-day human-inspired pressures but to adhere to the truth that all sin is judged bad and you cannot lead the flock.

Bottom line - the Methodists made the right decision, albeit unpopular by today's standards but being a good Christian is not about being popular - it's about surrendering to God's truth.
If one is truly repentant, all sins are forgiven, including homosexuality. The problem is if you truly don't believe in your heart it is a sin, you aren't repentant. Christians do not get to pick and choose sins they are repentant of.

Reactions: Hendy hawk
source.gif

Oh boy, this thread again.

Can someone remind me again what Jesus reportedly said against homosexuality?

I'm not going to hold my breath waiting on a reasonable and sincere response.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
The issue of homosexuals serving as pastors in the Methodist church is gonna split the Methodist Church wide open. A lesbian pastor in Iowa City is the center of the controversy right now.
It is hard for me to understand how a Church dedicated to the life of Jesus Christ can want to be so exclusionary of its people to the point of expulsion. It is one of the many mysteries of religion to me.
Just religion? Plenty of non-religious organizations that expel, ostracize or shun non conformists

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT