ADVERTISEMENT

Meyer won lawsuit

She sure as hell should! This really bothers me - I'm afraid a precedent has been established and the University is basically screwed from here on out.

I posted on another place why Iowa messed this up. Look, this was a 2 for 1 case with her girlfriend going to trial in a month. So settle them both early or go all in at the first trial. No offense to Carroll, the attorney for Iowa, but if you go all in get private counsel. May cost more up front, but you pay for results. And it is no secret private counsel has way more bench support and will put more time in to win the case. It is a fact. Maybe the outcome would be the same for this case, but bring in the biggest guns period to give the best chance to win. Now the second case went up exponentially. Just horrible.

The jury is really a black box. Unless one or more of the jurors give an interview, you really have no idea what happened or what they were thinking. Maybe they didn't like one of the university's witnesses; maybe they sympathized with the individual over the institution. Trials are crapshoots.

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
Gus - as a trial lawyer, I have always called it legalized gambling. Now you hope you have a better hand but 8 strangers in a box decide. Any trial lawyer will tell you stories of pulling victories from the jaws of defeat and pulling losses from the jaws of victory. It happens. Called vagaries of trial work. I just wish we went in to this case with the A team.

No way she had a decent case. Iowa dropped the ball here... they should have hired a top notch attorney that made her look silly. Spending a few more $ would have saved them a million.

Reactions: hawkeyejr
Crab - maybe she did. Not my point. My point is Iowa had 2 cases going to trial within a month. And the first one was going to drive or stall/destroy the second. So if you go to trial on the first you better win. I have tried cases for over 20 years and been involved in similarly situated cases a few times. I have no clue how a different lawyer would have done. But I do know that attorneys like Carroll have no bench support on staff and if you want to win you don't bank on people that can't cut it in private practice. Dear God, put the A team out to defend. And Judge Huppert is a former civil defense lawyer years ago. Just horrible decisions.

Sorry, I misunderstood your post. You are absolutely correct - Iowa needed to win this one. But like I said, they should have had top notch lawyers. This is just awful for the University.

I posted on another place why Iowa messed this up. Look, this was a 2 for 1 case with her girlfriend going to trial in a month. So settle them both early or go all in at the first trial. No offense to Carroll, the attorney for Iowa, but if you go all in get private counsel. May cost more up front, but you pay for results. And it is no secret private counsel has way more bench support and will put more time in to win the case. It is a fact. Maybe the outcome would be the same for this case, but bring in the biggest guns period to give the best chance to win. Now the second case went up exponentially. Just horrible.

This would've been settled out of court here. Because, California... Anyway, I thought Iowa had a good chance of winning this. Sorry to see that didn't happen. What a waste of taxpayer money.

What a joke.

How many times does the Supreme Court rule unanimously? Some people try to make their own interpretations of the laws. And there are cases like this where people do not feel responsible for their own actions that caused the outcome. That money will no go as far as she thinks it will, so yes, donate it to the HWC.

Reactions: CumberlandHawk
I'm always astounded by how these gathering of folks known as a "jury" (of our peers mind you - LOL!), are so cavalier in handing out millions of dollars in case after case of the most foolish shit you'll ever see. Here's how you are pretty much guaranteed a win in Court in the U.S.A. in 2017.

Be a member of a "victimized class", or perhaps a dumbass who can't read a label. That's it. Pure gold.

If you're a member of either one of those groups and aren't retired by now with millions in the bank, you've only yourself to blame. Really makes one wonder if all these idiots in the jury room understand the Golden Money Tree doesn't rain down when they gather and make these brilliant decisions. The stupidity of mankind will never cease to amaze me.

One way of looking at this situation --- 1.4 million is relatively little to pay to be rid of a cancer! I can't imagine how bad things would be if she were still around - thankfully she's gone and UI has moved on.

Two additional points per the articles.
- she may file for treble damages since jury determined UI actions were 'willful'
- Meyer also has a federal anti discrimination suit against UI scheduled for trail June 2018. This matter may get worse. I agree time for A team for UI's defense.

She sure as hell should! This really bothers me - I'm afraid a precedent has been established and the University is basically screwed from here on out.

So, gone from HR for a month and return to discover ya'll have raised a ton of money (while patting yourselves on the back) for a cause I supported since 2003 to the tune of $6,000. Really well done. Honest, really well done.

Also, I see I'm not the only one trashed for speaking truth.
If the precedent above you are concerned about being established is the one about treating employees equally, then, to quote a male friend of mine "I'm with her. The patriarchy of UI Athletics should cost the University of Iowa millions."

I have a sneaking suspicion that when a guy gets hit in the balls it is similar to the feeling of being hit in the boobs, but since I don't have balls, I can't make that comparison. Likewise, if you haven't experienced patriarchy, sexism, homophobia, a salary at 77% of your male colleagues, or pregnancy, please refrain from commenting on something of which you know nothing.

I'll just wait here for the personal attacks.

Sara AKA Fortunata

Commentary in this forum/issue is interesting, seem decidedly against the plaintiff (Meyer). It is curious that Meyer prevailed on all counts (five). Was the jury blind, biased, unknowing on all these issues? Or was the attorney’s defense of this case simply inept? I am surprised at how this case was handled. The removal of two athletic department employees based on what appears to be insignificant documentation, and then a feeble argument/justification in court. Will the verdict be appealed?

I’m not taking sides in this case, just observations from my reading in the Daily Iowan and Des Moines Register. Although I have been involved in similar cases, and I am not a lawyer, I cannot help but recall a profound civics lesson learned during my days at the University of Iowa. Paraphrasing; what recourse does an innocent man have? Please be reminded that “in the eyes of the law ever man is innocent until it is proved he is financially broke”.

So, gone from HR for a month and return to discover ya'll have raised a ton of money (while patting yourselves on the back) for a cause I supported since 2003 to the tune of $6,000. Really well done. Honest, really well done.

If the precedent above you are concerned about being established is the one about treating employees equally, then, to quote a male friend of mine "I'm with her. The patriarchy of UI Athletics should cost the University of Iowa millions."

I have a sneaking suspicion that when a guy gets hit in the balls it is similar to the feeling of being hit in the boobs, but since I don't have balls, I can't make that comparison. Likewise, if you haven't experienced patriarchy, sexism, homophobia, a salary at 77% of your male colleagues, or pregnancy, please refrain from commenting on something of which you know nothing.

Sara AKA Fortunata
I passed a kidney stone...welcome back!!!

My wife once told me that during one of her boob exams that they were squeezed pretty flat during her x-ray. I'm pretty sure the doctor and I would have a problem if they did that with my "boys"

Sara AKA Fortunata

Guess what? Men have "boobs" too. Even some of them have very similar looking ones. Muscular or not, milk filled or not, there is no remotely close comparison between getting hit in the male genitalia and boobs(of any variety).

I have a hard time with the law suit(without race/sex/creed) for a very basic reason. If your boss doesn't like you, guess what, he should be able to let you go. As long as there wasn't clear physical abuse, don't let the door hit your rear end on the way out. Very simple. Sadly, life and government has become very convoluted and controlled to protect people that don't know how to protect themselves.

My wife once told me that during one of her boob exams that they were squeezed pretty flat during her x-ray. I'm pretty sure the doctor and I would have a problem if they did that with my "boys"

Has she had a child? Perhaps she's just tougher than you know.

I am also pretty sure that no man on here would try to compare any pain/experience with giving birth. I have even had to have my bladder and kidneys scoped. Nothing like having a tube shoved up down and all around a very distinct "out hole" only. Even then I know it isn't a fair comparison, but it is still a hell of a lot better than a "boob"............

Sara - so nice to get a break from all the PSU posters on here. Your passive aggressive and snide remarks are amazingly unoriginal and yet trite at the same time.

I find it hard to believe that in this day and age a person gets fired because they are black/white/man/woman/gay/straight. I am guessing incompetent people get fired and then if they have a recourse, they take it. I am not saying people don't judge others or dislike others based on race/sexual preference/or sex. I am saying that I don't believe they get fired for those reasons. I could be wrong, but I only know that those factors do not influence my decisions. If a person is doing their job, I am ok with what they do outside the office. So I am projecting my behavior onto others.

I also have been involved in many conversations where the bosses said I would love to fire him/her, but I can't because he/she is a (fill in the blank)

My gut tells me this person was not good at her job and caused a lot of turmoil and conflict and the powers that be wanted to get rid of her. Maybe that is not legal or acceptable in this day and age but it seems very likely to me.

Last edited:
Gus - as a trial lawyer, I have always called it legalized gambling. Now you hope you have a better hand but 8 strangers in a box decide. Any trial lawyer will tell you stories of pulling victories from the jaws of defeat and pulling losses from the jaws of victory. It happens. Called vagaries of trial work. I just wish we went in to this case with the A team.
Having been on a lawsuit jury it is amazing what comes into the discussion. In my case one defense witness had really big hands. The ladies on the jury were spontaneously ovulating talking about him. You try to be reasonable and logical but people are people.

Sara AKA Fortunata
Sara have you worked in the Iowa athletic department? If not then "please refrain from commenting on something of which you know nothing."

Ever wrestled before? Again, "please refrain from commenting on something of which you know nothing."

This was too easy.

As you are well aware, although personal experience with anything can give you insight, it's not necessary to have knowledge of or have an intelligent discussion on any given subject.

At the risk of presenting an unpopular opinion, it's easy to criticize a jury but unless you are witness to the entirety of the trial, instructions and deliberations, it's pretty difficult to have an informed opinion regarding verdict. The fact that this was unanimous is pretty telling.

Personally, I'm surprised Barta isn't taking more heat. Anyone with any experience managing others knows that in order to really get rid of a problem employee you document, document, document, and follow formal protocol. I haven't seen much evidence that he did any of this. Whether or not this situation was brought on by discrimination, I really don't know, but from my perspective Barta seriously dropped the ball in his overall handling in this situation. I suspect we may see a similar scenerio in Griesbaum case.

Sara AKA Fortunata
Let me start off by saying I have no knowledge of the subject at hand so I can not honestly say the verdict was right or wrong. Do you know all of the facts in the case? Do you know for fact that she experienced patriarchy, sexism, or homophobia? I won't get into salaries because in my job I can tell you there are females making more than I do that do not have more experience, knowledge, or years of employment in my field. Should I sue for reverse sexism? I may be wrong but my impression of you is a "the man is always wrong" type of female and by your definition or should be anyone's for that matter you are sexist toward males.

If your answer to my questions are no then can you please refrain from commenting on something of which you know nothing?

Here's an idea: How about taking this discussion of a topic virtually irrelevant to Iowa wrestling to the OT board? I'm sure there's already a 10-page thread over there, anyway.

Also, I could do without the undeserved slams on this board. I'm sure plenty other Iowa fans could, too.

Get this crap out of here, please.

Last edited:
Sara have you worked in the Iowa athletic department? If not then "please refrain from commenting on something of which you know nothing."

Ever wrestled before? Again, "please refrain from commenting on something of which you know nothing."

This was too easy.

As you are well aware, although personal experience with anything can give you insight, it's not necessary to have knowledge of or have an intelligent discussion on any given subject.
As a woman who has experienced sexual bias and harassment on the job, I feel comfortable addressing that. Never wrestled and, check it out, I don't talk about the act of wrestling. I've been criticized for even being here because I don't.

I didn't bother digging into it because I'm truly not interested in the case but wasn't the lawsuit based on a claim of discrimination against her sexual orientation and not her gender? I admittedly could have that wrong.

I can speak on these matters because I'm comfortable in my manhood while also being very much in touch with my feminine side. My feminine side is 100% lesbian btw.

i'm with wwwwdm, this is a wrestling board i have no desire to engage in this kind of topic and when ever you come here it is to incite a a train wreck about nothing to do with wrestling.

cromagnom man

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT