ADVERTISEMENT

Michigan fan - I come in peace!

Jun 27, 2001
First, let me apologize for some of the Michigan-aligned jackalopes I have seen infecting some of your threads in my preliminary browsing. I think every fan base has that element to one extent or another, and we are certainly no exception. Sorry about that.

With that said, let me say congrats on a hard fought and well-deserved B1G West Championship. With all the injuries, it is absolutely remarkable that you guys were not only able to win the division, but win it going away! Impressive. I had a great time talking with Hawkeye fans in 2021 last time we were both in Indy, and I'm looking forward to more of the same this weekend.

I'm sure you feel the same way (much more strongly), but I'm very disappointed we won't get to see these two teams play at full strength and full health. We lost our All American guard last week, which sucks, but other than that we are remarkably healthy for this time of year (knock wood). On the other hand, Iowa . . . sheesh. I count probably 5 (that I know of) injuries among your top 10 players. I don't know how anyone overcomes that, but somehow Ferentz seems to have found a way. Selfishly, I would love to match up again with our former Michigan guys - I think most Michigan fans still have a lot of lingering affection for Eric All and were hoping to see him continue to succeed. And Cade McNamara is also a guy who played at Michigan.

I'm also bummed I won't get to see the Cooper Dejean show live in person. I've always enjoyed watching that guy play, even more so after seeing the episode of The Journey on BTN that featured him. Hope he makes a fast and speedy recovery - he's more than welcome to join the Detroit Lions along with Jack Campbell and Sam LaPorta!

Anyway, looking forward to a great weekend in Indy, and hopefully a fun game with no further injuries for either team. Go Blue and good luck Hawks!

First, let me apologize for some of the Michigan-aligned jackalopes I have seen infecting some of your threads in my preliminary browsing. I think every fan base has that element to one extent or another, and we are certainly no exception. Sorry about that.

With that said, let me say congrats on a hard fought and well-deserved B1G West Championship. With all the injuries, it is absolutely remarkable that you guys were not only able to win the division, but win it going away! Impressive. I had a great time talking with Hawkeye fans in 2021 last time we were both in Indy, and I'm looking forward to more of the same this weekend.

I'm sure you feel the same way (much more strongly), but I'm very disappointed we won't get to see these two teams play at full strength and full health. We lost our All American guard last week, which sucks, but other than that we are remarkably healthy for this time of year (knock wood). On the other hand, Iowa . . . sheesh. I count probably 5 (that I know of) injuries among your top 10 players. I don't know how anyone overcomes that, but somehow Ferentz seems to have found a way. Selfishly, I would love to match up again with our former Michigan guys - I think most Michigan fans still have a lot of lingering affection for Eric All and were hoping to see him continue to succeed. And Cade McNamara is also a guy who played at Michigan.

I'm also bummed I won't get to see the Cooper Dejean show live in person. I've always enjoyed watching that guy play, even more so after seeing the episode of The Journey on BTN that featured him. Hope he makes a fast and speedy recovery - he's more than welcome to join the Detroit Lions along with Jack Campbell and Sam LaPorta!

Anyway, looking forward to a great weekend in Indy, and hopefully a fun game with no further injuries for either team. Go Blue and good luck Hawks!
Cheers. Nice post.

How many UM fans will be making the trip to Indy?
I think it will be a pretty good showing, but likely less than 2021. That being the first time M had ever made it definitely drove up demand. Looks like ticket prices should be a little more reasonable this year, probably partly as a result of that and partly this being Iowa's second trip in 3 years.

a9e3742cfc5545796e1cc2a66bd5233f.jpg

I think it will be a pretty good showing, but likely less than 2021. That being the first time M had ever made it definitely drove up demand. Looks like ticket prices should be a little more reasonable this year, probably partly as a result of that and partly this being Iowa's second trip in 3 years.
Oh sure....rub last year's Nebraska debacle in our faces you rat bastard sunnuvabich!

What??

Someone had to say it.

Ha! Doodle kids. Doodle kids.

or DOES he?

• Haha
Reactions: WWDMHawkeye
Great post and much appreciated by the 10-2 Hawkeye fans. Not appreciated so much by the Iowa hater fans who went 2-10 this season. They’ll have a meeting later in IowaLaws office to talk about what a troll the OP was.

Nice post. No need to apologize. We have to deal with Nebraska trolls all year. We're used to it.

Reactions: Hawkfan_08
In 2021, Iowa fans outnumbered Michigan about 4 to 1 on Friday night. But then it was a pretty even split at the game.

Conclusion: Michigan fans drove down Saturday morning and Iowa fans like to party.
It was the complete opposite last year with Purdue . . . hardly a Boilermaker to be seen. Then around 5:00 they all started to show up, seemingly at the same time. Did they carpool? It was honestly kind of bizarre.

I promise you, I like to party and I'll be there Friday night . . . I'll even buy a drink or two for our respected colleagues from the West!

Hopefully the crowd is closer to 50-50 this year, it sounds like it was a bit of a problem for us last time.

I'm just shocked to have a Michigan football fan admit that he's also a Lions fan, although there's probably more Lions fans coming out of the woodwork nowadays. Most Michigan football fans are "just not much into the NFL, etc."

Thanks for the cordial post. While your "every fan base has that element" has some truth to it, Michigan is pretty special in that regard. Your fan base has a pretty high percentage of middle-aged jackwads, as many programs do that have a lot of success, and they'll be out in full force Saturday. Don't think they quite meet up with Duke basketball jackwad standards, but Michigan is no slouch. Hopefully I'll encounter more Michigan fans like you than the typical this weekend, but I doubt it.

Football-wise, Michigan obviously has a huge advantage, and it would take a combination of an extraordinary effort from Iowa and multiple uncharacteristic miscues from Michigan in order for this game to be close. I'll be there expecting the worst but hoping for the best. I generally root for B1G teams in the BCS/CFP, but I admit it will be hard for me to support Michigan with all the scandals. I really wish your program would have the integrity to play fair and square.

Enjoy the weekend.

Reactions: Eph97
Please tell us OP you are the exception and that all the focus in Michigan by both the fans and especially the team is about the CFP.

p.s. it's ok to lie to me

I'm just shocked to have a Michigan football fan admit that he's also a Lions fan, although there's probably more Lions fans coming out of the woodwork nowadays. Most Michigan football fans are "just not much into the NFL, etc."

Thanks for the cordial post. While your "every fan base has that element" has some truth to it, Michigan is pretty special in that regard. Your fan base has a pretty high percentage of middle-aged jackwads, as many programs do that have a lot of success, and they'll be out in full force Saturday. Don't think they quite meet up with Duke basketball jackwad standards, but Michigan is no slouch. Hopefully I'll encounter more Michigan fans like you than the typical this weekend, but I doubt it.

Football-wise, Michigan obviously has a huge advantage, and it would take a combination of an extraordinary effort from Iowa and multiple uncharacteristic miscues from Michigan in order for this game to be close. I'll be there expecting the worst but hoping for the best. I generally root for B1G teams in the BCS/CFP, but I admit it will be hard for me to support Michigan with all the scandals. I really wish your program would have the integrity to play fair and square.

Enjoy the weekend.
Yeah, Michigan is probably among the "leaders and best" when it comes to having douchy elements in our fan base, especially in relation to other traditional Big 10 schools. The demographics of the school probably lead to that a bit - lots of students from outside the traditional midwest Big 10 footprint who have more abrasive personalities, and there is a significant amount of institutional arrogance (I hate the "Michigan Man" bs . . .) one normally doesn't see outside of South Bend, Durham and a few other places that fancy themselves "Public Ivies." I'm a Michigan grad and have sent two kids to Ann Arbor, and it annoys even me. I can see where it would grate on others even more.

As to the "scandals," with all due respect I think a good deal of the public reaction to that whole thing has resulted from the inaccurate and sensationalized manner in which the media (largely ESPN) has reported it. Ferentz wasn't wrong when he took ESPN to task recently. Speaking as someone who has dug into every aspect of the "sign stealing scandal," read all the applicable rules and bylaws and understands both the alleged violation and its reasonable impact on games at least as well as most outsiders, I would respectfully suggest it does not demonstrate the sort of widespread lack of integrity (either to the program generally or Jim Harbaugh specifically) that many have attributed to it.

Cheers, and here's to a good game.

Reactions: West Side Blue
Yeah, Michigan is probably among the "leaders and best" when it comes to having douchy elements in our fan base, especially in relation to other traditional Big 10 schools. The demographics of the school probably lead to that a bit - lots of students from outside the traditional midwest Big 10 footprint who have more abrasive personalities, and there is a significant amount of institutional arrogance (I hate the "Michigan Man" bs . . .) one normally doesn't see outside of South Bend, Durham and a few other places that fancy themselves "Public Ivies." I'm a Michigan grad and have sent two kids to Ann Arbor, and it annoys even me. I can see where it would grate on others even more.

As to the "scandals," with all due respect I think a good deal of the public reaction to that whole thing has resulted from the inaccurate and sensationalized manner in which the media (largely ESPN) has reported it. Ferentz wasn't wrong when he took ESPN to task recently. Speaking as someone who has dug into every aspect of the "sign stealing scandal," read all the applicable rules and bylaws and understands both the alleged violation and its reasonable impact on games at least as well as most outsiders, I would respectfully suggest it does not demonstrate the sort of widespread lack of integrity (either to the program generally or Jim Harbaugh specifically) that many have attributed to it.
You certainly lack the arrogance, smugness, pompousness, sanctimoniousness, etc. of the typical Michigan fan....but at least you've got the victimhood down pat. I was getting worried that you were an imposter. 😄

Michigan fans only come in peace when they’re winning. Where were you during the 8 years when UM sucked until recently

So, any consternation on replacing your injured guard?
Yeah, it is definitely a concern. We do have good depth along the line and didn’t seem to miss a beat after Zinter went down. We scored a rushing TD on the very next play and were able to nearly close out the game with a 7+ minute drive, mostly on the ground. One silver lining is his injury caused the coaches to move the guy who has started at right tackle all year down to guard, which is his natural (and much better) position and bring in a new tackle that many thought should have been the starter in the first place. Karsen Barnhart, the tackle-turned -guard, has struggled in pass pro most of the year and his replacement is built more like a tackle and does a better job there.

That said, Zinter is our best overall lineman and a total mauler. It’s a loss, no way around it.

Enjoy the weekend.
as a UM fan that has been banned from a Michigan board, there is always a portion of a fanbase that doesn't like to hear opposing views...gotta admit, iowa football is a tough watch, but hard to argue against the 10-2 result..re the above,"all the scandals", think you're misinformed or just too lazy to do the research.."burgergate", is basically the ncaa saying UM violated rules during covid...i'm old enough to remember that many rules were tweeked and altered to compensate for the disruption of covid protocals..UM maybe did violate a rule, but there was plenty of gray area due to covid, and the ncaa was nowhere to be found as regards leadership and clarity..as far as the inperson scouting, the info gleaned isn't necessarily more advantagous than using all available video..why did they do it?..guess you should ask the guy who wrote a 600 page manifesto declaring he would one day "take over Michigan football"...really, Michigan has historically bent over backwards to do the right thing, mostly due to the arrogance and self rightous attitude of the administration..

as a UM fan that has been banned from a Michigan board, there is always a portion of a fanbase that doesn't like to hear opposing views...gotta admit, iowa football is a tough watch, but hard to argue against the 10-2 result..re the above,"all the scandals", think you're misinformed or just too lazy to do the research.."burgergate", is basically the ncaa saying UM violated rules during covid...i'm old enough to remember that many rules were tweeked and altered to compensate for the disruption of covid protocals..UM maybe did violate a rule, but there was plenty of gray area due to covid, and the ncaa was nowhere to be found as regards leadership and clarity..as far as the inperson scouting, the info gleaned isn't necessarily more advantagous than using all available video..why did they do it?..guess you should ask the guy who wrote a 600 page manifesto declaring he would one day "take over Michigan football"...really, Michigan has historically bent over backwards to do the right thing, mostly due to the arrogance and self rightous attitude of the administration..
And let's be honest . . . the "10-2 result" is BS. Iowa is 11-1, at least in my mind (and I'm confident that is the record inscribed on the Ledger of Justice). I understand the rule in question on the punt return that ended up getting called back after replay, and if it had been flagged in real time I probably would have said "eh, that's kind of a dicey interpretation of an already vague rule, but questionable calls happen." But the way it went down was absolute robbery for two reasons: (1) It wasn't called live, at a time when maybe, arguably some Minnesota defenders could have been misled by interpreting Dejean's "get away" hand motion as a fair catch, but rather on replay at a time when it was absolutely clear that no defender saw or changed his behavior at all based on the wave - they tried their best to tackle him but couldn't because he was better than they were; and (2) that call violated the sacred principle of "Don't overturn awesome plays in the absence of some overwhelming reason requiring you to do so." Do no harm. Let cool plays stand. Quit ruining the game, no matter what Dean Blandino says is the "correct call."

The Big 10 Championship is 12-0 Michigan vs. 11-1 Iowa. End of story.

I did sit by a Michigan fan and he was apologizing about their fans. So, they're not all like the other obnoxious fans. He was telling them to stop some of their bullshit.

Reactions: Sharky1203
Yeah, I had a lot of obnoxious ****s around me in 2021. Ruined the experience for me. Never go again.
We had a single dude dressed up in some weird MIchigan suit deal. Drunk as hell. I can see why none of his buddies wanted to sit with him. We were in a narrow mid deck and we were afraid he was gonna fall over the wall if he wobbled too much. The other Mich fans around us were fine.

Reactions: herkhatescy

Thanks for the greeting card. Feel free to send us a sympathy card on Sunday!

This is not really gonna be a fair fight between two of the best teams in the B1G. It's a gonna be a mugging by the best team in the B1G over the 4th best team by default, since everyone else in the B1G is just not very good at all.

I've been really impressed with Michigan these last few years, and especially the last two. They don't seem to have any big weaknesses (or maybe even small weaknesses). JJ is pretty awesome. Corum is pretty awesome.

I expect Iowa will struggle to get 1st downs in the first half and the score will be 17-0 at half, with the Iowa D playing their hearts out. The second half will be ugly with a final score of something like 42-6.

Happy to be in the game tho. I hope for some early highlights before the game is effectively over.

And let's be honest . . . the "10-2 result" is BS. Iowa is 11-1, at least in my mind (and I'm confident that is the record inscribed on the Ledger of Justice). I understand the rule in question on the punt return that ended up getting called back after replay, and if it had been flagged in real time I probably would have said "eh, that's kind of a dicey interpretation of an already vague rule, but questionable calls happen." But the way it went down was absolute robbery for two reasons: (1) It wasn't called live, at a time when maybe, arguably some Minnesota defenders could have been misled by interpreting Dejean's "get away" hand motion as a fair catch, but rather on replay at a time when it was absolutely clear that no defender saw or changed his behavior at all based on the wave - they tried their best to tackle him but couldn't because he was better than they were; and (2) that call violated the sacred principle of "Don't overturn awesome plays in the absence of some overwhelming reason requiring you to do so." Do no harm. Let cool plays stand. Quit ruining the game, no matter what Dean Blandino says is the "correct call."

The Big 10 Championship is 12-0 Michigan vs. 11-1 Iowa. End of story.
lol, good point, forgot about that...when i was watching it i was thinking that it would be funny if iowa ran it back...remember traveling through iowa on a football saturday in 1986, great atmosphere around the stadium..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT