• 2:30 pm. ABC - Sean McDonough & Todd Blackledge

Votes: 17 18.1%
  • 3:00 pm. Fox flexes BIG Noon kickoff to mid afternoon with Johnson & Klatt

Votes: 14 14.9%

• Total voters

Coachryan98

Scout Team
Sep 13, 2019
What are we thinking for the start time and network for Michigan at Iowa on October 1st. I came up with 4 options. I'm sure there are others. Maybe we'll get 11 am on ESPN+ with Beth Mowins, Anthony Becht, and the red rocket Rocky Boiman.

A couple things make this look like a night game is doubtful:

1) Night games not scheduled prior to the start of the season have to be approved by the home team. Iowa has done that in the past, but not very much.

2) As mentioned above, FOX loves the Big Noon Kickoff, and it includes a B1G team more than half the time.. With ABC getting the unequivocal best game in the B1G the previous week (WI-OSU), I would assume FOX gets first pick this week.

I could see the game getting kicked up to mid-afternoon like IA-PSU last year, but I think a night game is unlikely. But, since I'm working during the day, I'd love for it to be a night game.

1) Night games not scheduled prior to the start of the season have to be approved by the home team. Iowa has done that in the past, but not very much.

2) As mentioned above, FOX loves the Big Noon Kickoff, and it includes a B1G team more than half the time.. With ABC getting the unequivocal best game in the B1G the previous week (WI-OSU), I would assume FOX gets first pick this week.

I could see the game getting kicked up to mid-afternoon like IA-PSU last year, but I think a night game is unlikely. But, since I'm working during the day, I'd love for it to be a night game.
Good points. But I agree it's probably going to be like PSU. Fox likes their Big Noon Kick off but they like people at their pregame show even more. Not enough space to do it in the area by Kinnick. People won't go to the pregame show if they are 2 miles from the stadium.

Gar Bar knows Iowa's chances are improved in a night game environment against a Michigan at Kinnick. He would have his big toothy grin.

Gar Bar knows Iowa's chances are improved in a night game environment against a Michigan at Kinnick. He would have his big toothy grin.
Maybe, but KF has been on record saying that he doesn't care for night games, and we all know who wears the pants in that relationship.

Maybe, but KF has been on record saying that he doesn't care for night games, and we all know who wears the pants in that relationship.
I believe he was referring to road games because they get back to Iowa City so late

Ferentz has always been a fan of night games at home. He finds night road games, especially on the West Coast, not as enjoyable.

"They're exciting, no matter where you play them," Ferentz said. "It is a little bit easier if you can go home and go to bed afterwards."

Reactions: MeetTheFerentz
Call me old fashioned but damn it i wish every game was at 11. Hate waiting

What determines whether Fox or ABC/ESPN gets the game?

Cause if it's Fox, it's gonna be Big Noon Kickoff; ABC/ESPN, and I think it gets a night slot.

Not many other good games that weekend, looking at the schedule, especially not in the Big Ten. And Iowa and Michigan should both be undefeated at that point.

What determines whether Fox or ABC/ESPN gets the game?

Cause if it's Fox, it's gonna be Big Noon Kickoff; ABC/ESPN, and I think it gets a night slot.

Not many other good games that weekend, looking at the schedule, especially not in the Big Ten. And Iowa and Michigan should both be undefeated at that point.
‘SHOULD’.

I think Hawks fall flat more often in 11am games.

Has a lot to do with the fans too. Lots of people running on fumes from leaving the house at 4-5 AM to get a tailgating spot, student section is all hungover and possibly pulling all-nighters, and a good number of fans who’d usual drink before games but choose not to because they don’t wanna be sitting in the sun half buzzed at noon. The straight sober people who never drink at games then are pretty chill because everyone around them is gassed.

Then the Hawks sleepwalk through the first half and people start wondering if they shouldn’t have mowed the lawn and watched the game on TV.

Do we know every network available to cover Big Ten games this year following the new media deal?

As for the game time, just based on how many other decent games are on the schedule that day, I'm gonna say that the most likely is the spotlight game at 3 pm on Fox.

Good points. But I agree it's probably going to be like PSU. Fox likes their Big Noon Kick off but they like people at their pregame show even more. Not enough space to do it in the area by Kinnick. People won't go to the pregame show if they are 2 miles from the stadium.
That pregame show would be packed

tumblr_lvkclvtLrX1r5mnvxo1_r2_500.gif

I don't think there are a whole lot of people you see on TV at those pregame shows (Gameday, Fox BNK, etc.) that actually go to the games. Those shows are packed even if the game starts immediately afterward. I think it's much more likely that the folks that hang out at those pregame show sites head to a bar or party/tailgate and not the actual game. So, even if there's a Fox BNK show on the Pentacrest and the game is an 11AM kickoff, the show will still be packed with fans. It's the small representatives of the band, cheerleaders, etc that may have to miss or leave early.

Reactions: BurgHawk87
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT