ADVERTISEMENT

Michigan State freshman point guard shot in leg while on holiday break in the Joliet area

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
A Michigan State point guard is recovering after he was shot while on holiday break near his hometown.

Freshman Jeremy Fears Jr. was shot in the leg sometime late Friday or early Saturday morning in the Joliet area, according to a statement from the university. Michigan State Coach Tom Izzo said in the statement that Fears underwent surgery Saturday morning and was resting comfortably.

“While there is much we still don’t know, my focus is supporting Jeremy on his road to recovery,” Izzo said.

The Joliet Police Department did not immediately respond to voicemail and email messages from The Associated Press seeking details about the incident. The department had posted nothing about the shooting on its social media accounts as of early Saturday afternoon.

Fears recorded a career-high 10 assists in the Spartans’ 99-55 victory over Stony Brook on Thursday. Players dispersed for the holiday break after that game.

Fears, a 6-foot-2, 190-pound former five-star recruit out of Joliet West High School, has appeared in all 12 of Michigan State’s games this season. He is averaging 3.5 points, 3.3 assists and 1.9 rebounds, according to the team’s website.

• Love
Reactions: Here_4_a_Day
Thought maybe he just got lead poisoning in Flint, but looks like he's from Joliet.

9030eca8bec5fe893a5a25fe56c4afb6_w200.gif

Lived in Joliet for 3 years in the 1990s. The east side and near west side (just east of Cathedral area) was pretty bad. We lived in the Cathedral area, it was nice. Had a friend in the gang unit and he told me where to avoid.

2 CSBs

First one, our neighbor was in a family in Chicago. He never told me, but I had suspicions and my buddy on the PD confirmed it. He and his wife were always good to us, they'd have us over once in a while for Sunday dinner. Big old Italian family and a huge spread. Didn't need to eat for a week after.

2nd
When they put the riverboat in Joliet, it would have some holes from gunfire in it once in a while, windows damaged and the like. So the families in Chicago had a meeting with the leaders of the 4 major gangs (Brownstones, Vice Lords, Black Gangsters and I forget the 4th). Basically the families told the street gangs if anything else happened to the boat (the one in downtown Joliet) that Joliet wouldn't have a gang problem any longer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT