ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Pence has sudden change of heart over Trump classified documents: ‘I can’t defend it’

cigaretteman

HB King
May 29, 2001
Mike Pence appears to have had a sudden change of heart over his thoughts on Donald Trump’s handling of classified documents.

After arguing that bringing federal criminal charges against the former president would send a “terrible message to the world” last week, the former vice president has now said that he “can’t defend” his ex-boss’s alleged actions laid out in the indictment.

“Having read the indictment, these are very serious allegations,” Mr Pence told The Wall Street Journal’s Editorial Board on Tuesday.

“And I can’t defend what is alleged.”

Mr Pence later added that, as a member of a military family, he was concerned about the risks to the lives of American service members when secret information is not handled correctly.

“Even the inadvertent release of that kind of information could compromise our national security and the safety of our armed forces,” he said.

“And, frankly, having two members of our immediate family serving in the armed forces of the United States, I will never diminish the importance of protecting our nation’s secrets.”

Mr Pence is now taking on his former boss in the race for the Republican nomination for the 2024 presidential election, after launching his campaign last week.

His comments on Mr Trump’s indictment are a marked difference from the stance he took early last week where he told CNN he hoped the Justice Department would refrain from bringing charges.

“I hope the DOJ thinks better of it and resolves these issues without an indictment,” he said.

“I think it would also send a terrible message to the wider world.

“I mean, we’re the emblem of democracy. We’re the symbol of justice in the world.”

Though he insisted that no one should be “above the law”, he said he hoped “there would be a way for them to move forward without the dramatic and drastic and divisive step of indicting a former president of the United States”.

While Mr Pence’s latest comments signaled a u-turn in his stance on the scandal, the former vice president and now 2024 presidential candidate did still question the Justice Department’s motives for the indictment.

“It’s hard for me to believe that politics didn’t play some role in this decision,” he said, adding that if he were to enter the White House next year he would “clean house” at the DOJ.

He added: “But the President is entitled to his day in court, he’s entitled to bring a defense, and I want to reserve judgment until he has the opportunity to respond.”

Mr Trump appeared for his arraignment in a Miami federal courthouse on Tuesday afternoon, where he became the first current or former US president ever charged with a federal crime.

He pleaded not guilty to all 37 federal charges over his handling of classified documents, including national defence information, after leaving the White House.

The indictment, which was unsealed on Friday (9 June), alleges that Mr Trump deliberately lied to and misled authorities so that he could hold onto documents that he knew were classified.

On at least two separate occasions, Mr Trump then showed some of the classified documents to people not authorised to see them, the indictment alleges.

Stunning photos revealed that many of the documents were stored around a toilet, shower and ballroom at his Mar-a-Lago estate.

The charges include 31 counts of willful retention of national defense information and single counts of false statements and representations, and counts of conspiracy to obstruct justice, withholding a document or record, corruptly concealing a document, concealing a document in a federal investigation and a scheme to conceal.

Mr Trump’s longtime aide Walt Nauta was also charged with six obstruction- and concealment-related charges after he allegedly helped move boxes of documents from Mar-a-Lago to Mr Trump’s residence and then lied to investigators about having any knowledge of the handling of the papers.

Mr Nauta did not enter a plea as he did not have legal counsel in Florida.

The two men put on a united front traveling to and from the courthouse together, making a brief surprise stop afterwards at the famed Versailles restaurant in Miami where Mr Trump said he would buy everyone food and was treated to a rendition of ‘Happy Birthday’ by his fans.

Following his arraignment, Mr Trump – who turned 77 on Wednesday – flew straight back to New Jersey to deliver a speech at his Bedminster golf club, where he launched into his usual unsubstantiated narrative that he is the victim of political persecution.

In the speech, where he lashed out at President Joe Biden and Special Counsel Jack Smith, Mr Trump claimed that the boxes of classified documents discovered in his possession actually contained clothes.

“Many people have asked me why I had these boxes, why did you want them?” he said.

“The answer, in addition to having every right under the Presidential Records Act, is that these boxes were containing all types of personal belongings — many, many things, shirts and shoes, everything.”

He insisted he wanted to sort through the boxes but had been “busy” as he went on his usual unsubstantiated narrative that he is the victim of political persecution.

Every candidate for President should be forced to take a stand on this instead of trying to have to both ways. This indictment is binary as it gets. Any Republican candidate who thinks by keeping quiet they'll hang around and get Trump voters hoping he implodes is fooling themselves.

Rebecca Wisocky Comedy GIF by CBS

Mr dry white toast, who is supposed to be a man of God, is nothing more than lying sack of shit.
must be a bunch of democrats posting in here, I suppose that you posters are giving Biden a complete pass for doing the same thing. only longer and only a Vice President. almost 8 years ago. and lets not forget Hillary.

what a bunch of hypocrites. give a couple Dems a pass and crucify a Rep.

as for the OP by calling some of his high light "unsubstantiated" way to often, this reminds me of the OJ trial where the DA just had to over see the searching of OJ home. finding things scattered around his bedroom. what a joke. they need to look at my bedroom if they want to see thing scattered around.

must be a bunch of democrats posting in here, I suppose that you posters are giving Biden a complete pass for doing the same thing. only longer and only a Vice President. almost 8 years ago. and lets not forget Hillary.

as for the OP by calling some of his high light "unsubstantiated" way to often, this reminds me of the OJ trial where the DA just had to over see the searching of OJ home. finding things scattered around his bedroom. what a joke. they need to look at my bedroom if they want to see thing scattered around.
I am surprised you didn't bring up a laptop. Good GQP talking points. Your boy biff and the rest just get a pass then? Maybe you should look up the word hypocrite.

Thanks for dropping by and showing your ignorance of the situation. The two situations are in no way shape or from similar in any way. We'll be sure to ignore your ignorant posting from now on.

I am surprised you didn't bring up a laptop. Good GQP talking points. Your boy biff and the rest just get a pass then? Maybe you should look up the word hypocrite.
don't have to look up anything. Biden has people coming out with what Biden has done is nothing, yet those same people are saying that Biden has done nothing wrong

another thing that bothers me is why they wait a little bit until Trumps lawyer to get there. or did they want to plant evidence before his lawyer got there?

don't have to look up anything. Biden has people coming out with what Biden has done is nothing, yet those same people are saying that Biden has done nothing wrong

another thing that bothers me is why they wait a little bit until Trumps lawyer to get there. or did they want to plant evidence before his lawyer got there?
You are in deep aren't you?

Thanks for dropping by and showing your ignorance of the situation. The two situations are in no way shape or from similar in any way. We'll be sure to ignore your ignorant posting from now on.
typical Democrat, that's still pissed about how their Queen Hillary didn't get elected. plus most Dems think that Hillary had the election was stolen with multiple states demanding a recounts. oh that's right she is a Democrate so that is OK and she gets a complete pass,

what dems want then the dems get it. WHY because they are democrats that's why.

to me its about the voters to vote them out of office. don't care if they are Independents just vote them out of office,

not that sold on Trump either as by the time he can take office he will be either in his 80's or real close. its time for someone in their lower 50's to be in the Oval Office.

Your stroke has really affected your ability to think. I feel for ya. Please stop messing up every board you post on.

You really should do yourself a favor and get out of the wingnut echo chamber and experience reality once in a while. A mind is a terrible thing to waste.

Mar-La-Go had security cameras on the entire time.
outside the living quarter, they were no camera's in the home after being IN LAW ENFORCEENT I don't trust anybody that won't wait for a attourney to be there. can't or won't wait are hiding something with a high profile case like this you should make sure all you I are dotted and all your T's are crossed, 1st thing you learn in Constitutional law.

outside the living quarter, they were no camera's in the home after being IN LAW ENFORCEENT I don't trust anybody that won't wait for a attourney to be there. can't or won't wait are hiding something with a high profile case like this you should make sure all you I are dotted and all your T's are crossed, 1st thing you learn in Constitutional law.
I think your kids might need to have an intervention with you. Maybe take internet access away.

• Haha
Reactions: cigaretteman

Bad trolling is bad.

if you say so coming from a Biden tubesteak sucker.
Sorry, if you don't realize the great harm the seditionist Trump has done and is continuing to do to our country, along with his traitorous enablers and sycophants, you are just as much of a traitor as are they.

If they planted evidence you could see it being brought into living quarters. Law enforcement only needs to provide a search warrant. They don't have to move on the defendant'a schedule. You're giving the Mark Furman OJ defense. You think FBI agents are all going to be in on a conspiracy and risk their careers and possible jail time with all the eye balls on this. All Agents involved are going to agree to plant evidence up and down the chain of command. Conspiracies only work if a few people are involved. Not hundreds.

Last edited:
Mike Pence appears to have had a sudden change of heart over his thoughts on Donald Trump’s handling of classified documents.

After arguing that bringing federal criminal charges against the former president would send a “terrible message to the world” last week, the former vice president has now said that he “can’t defend” his ex-boss’s alleged actions laid out in the indictment.

“Having read the indictment, these are very serious allegations,” Mr Pence told The Wall Street Journal’s Editorial Board on Tuesday.

“And I can’t defend what is alleged.”

Mr Pence later added that, as a member of a military family, he was concerned about the risks to the lives of American service members when secret information is not handled correctly.

“Even the inadvertent release of that kind of information could compromise our national security and the safety of our armed forces,” he said.

“And, frankly, having two members of our immediate family serving in the armed forces of the United States, I will never diminish the importance of protecting our nation’s secrets.”

Mr Pence is now taking on his former boss in the race for the Republican nomination for the 2024 presidential election, after launching his campaign last week.

His comments on Mr Trump’s indictment are a marked difference from the stance he took early last week where he told CNN he hoped the Justice Department would refrain from bringing charges.

“I hope the DOJ thinks better of it and resolves these issues without an indictment,” he said.

“I think it would also send a terrible message to the wider world.

“I mean, we’re the emblem of democracy. We’re the symbol of justice in the world.”

Though he insisted that no one should be “above the law”, he said he hoped “there would be a way for them to move forward without the dramatic and drastic and divisive step of indicting a former president of the United States”.

While Mr Pence’s latest comments signaled a u-turn in his stance on the scandal, the former vice president and now 2024 presidential candidate did still question the Justice Department’s motives for the indictment.

“It’s hard for me to believe that politics didn’t play some role in this decision,” he said, adding that if he were to enter the White House next year he would “clean house” at the DOJ.

He added: “But the President is entitled to his day in court, he’s entitled to bring a defense, and I want to reserve judgment until he has the opportunity to respond.”

Mr Trump appeared for his arraignment in a Miami federal courthouse on Tuesday afternoon, where he became the first current or former US president ever charged with a federal crime.

He pleaded not guilty to all 37 federal charges over his handling of classified documents, including national defence information, after leaving the White House.

The indictment, which was unsealed on Friday (9 June), alleges that Mr Trump deliberately lied to and misled authorities so that he could hold onto documents that he knew were classified.

On at least two separate occasions, Mr Trump then showed some of the classified documents to people not authorised to see them, the indictment alleges.

Stunning photos revealed that many of the documents were stored around a toilet, shower and ballroom at his Mar-a-Lago estate.

The charges include 31 counts of willful retention of national defense information and single counts of false statements and representations, and counts of conspiracy to obstruct justice, withholding a document or record, corruptly concealing a document, concealing a document in a federal investigation and a scheme to conceal.

Mr Trump’s longtime aide Walt Nauta was also charged with six obstruction- and concealment-related charges after he allegedly helped move boxes of documents from Mar-a-Lago to Mr Trump’s residence and then lied to investigators about having any knowledge of the handling of the papers.

Mr Nauta did not enter a plea as he did not have legal counsel in Florida.

The two men put on a united front traveling to and from the courthouse together, making a brief surprise stop afterwards at the famed Versailles restaurant in Miami where Mr Trump said he would buy everyone food and was treated to a rendition of ‘Happy Birthday’ by his fans.

Following his arraignment, Mr Trump – who turned 77 on Wednesday – flew straight back to New Jersey to deliver a speech at his Bedminster golf club, where he launched into his usual unsubstantiated narrative that he is the victim of political persecution.

In the speech, where he lashed out at President Joe Biden and Special Counsel Jack Smith, Mr Trump claimed that the boxes of classified documents discovered in his possession actually contained clothes.

“Many people have asked me why I had these boxes, why did you want them?” he said.

“The answer, in addition to having every right under the Presidential Records Act, is that these boxes were containing all types of personal belongings — many, many things, shirts and shoes, everything.”

He insisted he wanted to sort through the boxes but had been “busy” as he went on his usual unsubstantiated narrative that he is the victim of political persecution.

Well I fought for you
I fought too hard
To do it all again, Don
It's gone too far

You never needed me
You only wanted me around
It gets me down

There's been a change
Yeah there's been a change of heart
Said there's been a change

You pushed just a little too far
You made it just a little too hard
There's been a change of heart

I'll get over you
It won't take long
I've stood in your gallery
Seen what's hanging from the walls

You were the moon and sun
You're just a loaded gun now
It gets me down

There's been a change

Whoa yeah, oh boy
Looks like we finally found the turning point

Oh me oh my
Looks like it's time for me to kiss it goodbye
Kiss it goodbye

There's been a change

Reactions: FormerlyCyberCy
If they planted evidence you could see it being brought into living quarters. Law enforcement only needs to provide a search warrant. They don't have to move on the defendant'a schedule. You're giving the Mark Furman OJ defense. You think career FBI agents are all going to be in on a conspiracy and risk their careers and possible jail time with all the eye balls on this. All Agents involved are going to agree to plant evidence up and down the chain of command. Conspiracies only work if a few people are involved. Not hundreds.

Still makes me laugh out loud. :)

Sorry, if you don't realize the great harm the seditionist Trump has done and is continuing to do to our country, along with his traitorous enablers and sycophants, you are just as much of a traitor as are they.
seditioinist. where is that coming from other than democrats in the media, everytime they bring it up, it keeps getting and worse. it has now gone from simple protest to a full grown violent overthrow of the government.

give me a ****ing break, in fact there were Senators and campus security showing them around.

there were no overturned cars no burning of anything to be found. this is getting blown out of propusion every time it's told

kinda like in grade school where the 1st kid in a row gets told one thing and to pass it on and by the time it gets back to the teacher who started it. it had changed so much the teacher couldn't believe how much it changed from the point from where it started to where it ended up.

seditioinist. where is that coming from other than democrats in the media, everytime they bring it up, it keeps getting and worse. it has now gone from simple protest to a full grown violent overthrow of the government.

give me a ****ing break, in fact there were Senators and campus security showing them around.

there were no overturned cars no burning of anything to be found. this is getting blown out of propusion every time it's told

kinda like in grade school where the 1st kid in a row gets told one thing and to pass it on and by the time it gets back to the teacher who started it. it had changed so much the teacher couldn't believe how much it changed from the point from where it started to where it ended up.
Go back to the sports boards Kilroy.

Lol, wut????

Where do these guys come from?

Not that he ever had a chance after defying the great leader on January 6th, but now he’s really going to anger the MAGAs.

all I get to do is watch TV.. sorry but you have brain washed by Hillary. Obama and now Biden, that the only right way in the democratic way which is fast approaching the way of communism they want to take away the guns, now they want to limit who can or can't vote.

when Queen Hillary lost they tried to do away with the Electoral College. they too tried to over turn the results of that election, the same exact thing the media and Democrats are screaming murder about Trump trying to do,

again democrats railing about Trump that their own party members have already done.

• Haha
all I get to do is watch TV.. sorry but you have brain washed by Hillary. Obama and now Biden, that the only right way in the democratic way which is fast approaching the way of communism they want to take away the guns, now they want to limit who can or can't.

when Queen Hillary lost they tried to do away with the Electoral College. they too tried to over turn the results of that election, the same exact thing the media and Democrats are screaming murder about Trump trying to do,

again democrats railing about Trump that their own party members have already done.
Go Away!

all I get to do is watch TV.. sorry but you have brain washed by Hillary. Obama and now Biden, that the only right way in the democratic way which is fast approaching the way of communism they want to take away the guns, now they want to limit who can or can't vote.

Hillary Clinton concedes presidential election to Donald Trump: 'We must accept this result

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT