ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Trout

DFSNOLE

HR Legend
Sep 25, 2002
Lower Alabama
ESPN is reporting that Mike Trout and the angels are finalizing the contract extension. 12 years 430 million dollars. The best player in baseball is getting paid like it.

Reactions: dgordo
Smart of Angels to do it now.

Bad for baseball TV.

Like Lebron in NBA.

Leagues need their stars on east coast when people are awake to watch them.

NBA ratings took a hit this year with Lebron out west.

It's a shame that he'll be marooned out there in Anaheim playing on the West Coast in games that no one will watch, and that he'll never be on a team that'll consistently win. He could be the game's biggest star if he played in a better (for TV) time one, and on a team that cared more about winning.

It's a shame that he'll be marooned out there in Anaheim playing on the West Coast in games that no one will watch, and that he'll never be on a team that'll consistently win. He could be the game's biggest star if he played in a better (for TV) time one, and on a team that cared more about winning.
They care about winning. Their biggest issue is an owner that likes to get too involved. Pushing for the playoffs by signing overpriced vets. Or trading away the prospects they do produce to try and just get in the Wild Card. Instead of having a long term plan that would have them in contention most years they try to thread the needle every year.

Mike Trout will be remembered in MLB history as
the highest paid player who never won a World
Series ring. The Angels are fooling themselves by
paying big bucks to a guy who is not surrounded
by high talented team mates.

We lived in Anaheim Hills in 1980, down the street from an Angels player (Brian Downing?)who signed a contract for $400K a year - he promptly moved out of the neighborhood into something bigger - but the neighbor's were abuzz over any athlete being paid that much money - how things have changed!

He should be in his absolute prime for at least five more years. It is too bad that most of his games start after 9-10 pm for most of the country. It's also a shame that the Angels keep surrounding him with teammates that can't get them over the hump.
Side note, Kuechel and Kimbrel are still unemployed, and Gio Gonzalez signed a minor league deal today. Something has to give.

Cool. Love guys staying home and playing for the teams that brought them up.

This. And here's to hoping the Angels can develop or acquire some supporting talent so Trout can have some October Situations before his contract is up.

Reactions: bojihawk44
Unless you're curing aids or cancer or both, no human deserves that sort of compensation. Athletes, movie stars and entertainers are dumb blockheads. Society is messed up to reward the useless.

Besides having a better chance at winning a World Series, I'm not sure what he personally is missing out on. On the other hand $430 million is more than enough to help me get over never playing in a World Series.

Unless you're curing aids or cancer or both, no human deserves that sort of compensation. Athletes, movie stars and entertainers are dumb blockheads. Society is messed up to reward the useless.
They are the best in the world at what they do and generate more than they make for their employer. The fact that they make their money playing a game we all played as a kid is not relevant. No one pays big money to watch me work.

He absolutely deserves it, because he's worth it. You sounds jealous.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
He absolutely deserves it, because he's worth it. You sounds jealous.
Sure I'm jealous. When the next numbnut who has a brain tumor who comes up to me, should I ask $.5 Billion for a better treatment? It's absurd and we all know it. These clowns aren't worth this compensation. Who cares what they make for their team owners? That just reflects the stupidity of society who goes to games and allows such asinine compensation.

Reactions: TimTHawk1999
To be honest no MLB player is worth more $20
million per year. It is ridiculous to have a contract
over 5 years. There is some insanity among MLB
owners for overpaying and overextending these
inane contracts.

Sure I'm jealous. When the next numbnut who has a brain tumor who comes up to me, should I ask $.5 Billion for a better treatment? It's absurd and we all know it. These clowns aren't worth this compensation. Who cares what they make for their team owners? That just reflects the stupidity of society who goes to games and allows such asinine compensation.

He's absolutely worth it. Apparently what you do isn't as valuable as what he does, that's just reality. Why is people going to games and spending money on sports asinine?

Reactions: DFSNOLE

The Angels signed a $3 Billion TV contract, basically because of Mike Trout.

I live 15 minutes from Dodger Stadium but drive to Anaheim 10 times a season or so to see Mike Trout. To see him and I fear for my life at a Dodger game.

What I do or any other physician scientist does is 1 trillion x times more valuable. What some guy does in terms of hitting a ball is ultimately irrelevant. Perhaps society however is unintelligent
and values stupid things. When I was an undergrad I used to tutor athletes at Iowa. I actually got a thank you note from one ( no names) for helping him raise his grade from a F to a D. He was barely literate, at best. I don't hold athletes in general in high regard but I do love the hroters :)

What I do or any other physician scientist does is 1 trillion x times more valuable. What some guy does in terms of hitting a ball is ultimately irrelevant. Perhaps society however is unintelligent
and values stupid things. When I was an undergrad I used to tutor athletes at Iowa. I actually got a thank you note from one ( no names) for helping him raise his grade from a F to a D. He was barely literate, at best. I don't hold athletes in general in high regard but I do love the hroters :)
That's a very narrow view. Without the release of entertainment, whether through movies, music, sports, etc. society would implode. Sports play a valuable role in the mental well being of healthy people. Those who excel and bring enjoyment to millions deserve commensurate compensation.

That's a very narrow view. Without the release of entertainment, whether through movies, music, sports, etc. society would implode. Sports play a valuable role in the mental well being of healthy people. Those who excel and bring enjoyment to millions deserve commensurate compensation.
The key word there is commensurate, not insane. That's my whole point. If you go back to the 80's athletes roughly entertained the same number of people but their wages weren't an asinine multiple of other wage earners. These days they are and that's plain stupid and ultimately unsustainable.

He should send some money back to Iowa, after all he honed his skills here in Cedar Rapids in A ball. He hit .362 in 368 plate appearances. Saw him a couple times and knew he wouldn't be there long...
How about $1 million in back rent to his host family?

Cool. Love guys staying home and playing for the teams that brought them up.
I'd love it if Kris Bryant stays at home, but, he'll go to whoever pays him the most money. Trout got a boatload of money, and he gets to live in Southern California. If Milwaukee had paid him more he'd be giving a press conference today about how he's always loved the skyline of Milwaukee, and whitefish straight from the Great Lakes.

How about $1 million in back rent to his host family?
Anything dat help out dee po lanlawd is otay by me...
giphy.gif

That's a tremendous assumption.

Even still, why does any human being need $430 million dollars for playing a sport???

No one is saying he shouldn't be a millionaire, but having more money than entire populations of countries while 20,000 children die each day from easily preventable illnesses seems a bit selfish to me...

Reactions: GOHOX69
The key word there is commensurate, not insane. That's my whole point. If you go back to the 80's athletes roughly entertained the same number of people but their wages weren't an asinine multiple of other wage earners. These days they are and that's plain stupid and ultimately unsustainable.

You & your boy Tim seem like a couple of whiny old ladies. I can only imagine how annoying you are to watch a game with, assuming you know anything about sports.

You & your boy Tim seem like a couple of whiny old ladies. I can only imagine how annoying you are to watch a game with, assuming you know anything about sports.
Yes, people like Tim and I who have functional brains find this absurd. And yes I played sports. Did you or are you still living the Al Bundy years?

More than that how would you like to be some “numnut” with a brain tumor. I know I would go find a Dr would was probably making a lot more money by being the top in his field instead of one whining about it.

What did the English language ever do to you?
Maybe he has a brain tumor? Last I checked, most neurosurgeons don't make 36 million dollars a year (to Mr Beach) and they certainly should be compensated better than some jock or a glorified gym teacher. Just saying.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT