ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Trout

The key word there is commensurate, not insane. That's my whole point. If you go back to the 80's athletes roughly entertained the same number of people but their wages weren't an asinine multiple of other wage earners. These days they are and that's plain stupid and ultimately unsustainable.
Everything is worth what the market will bear. Are you willing to go back to 80s salary for doctors? No different than the hedge fund manager who makes money for their clients and is compensated commensurately, professional athletes are the same. As has been already mentioned, he makes money for both his employer and the league to a degree that makes compensation fair and just in the market.

Last edited:
Everything is worth what the market will bear. Are you willing to go back to 80s salary for doctors? No different than the hedge fund manager who makes money for their clients and is compensated commensurately, professional athletes are the same. As has been already mentioned, he makes money for both his employer and the league to a degree that makes compensation fair and just in the market.
The caveat here is Trout is worth every penny. Harper will never live up to his deal, and Machado will probably eat his way out of the league.

Unless you're curing aids or cancer or both, no human deserves that sort of compensation. Athletes, movie stars and entertainers are dumb blockheads. Society is messed up to reward the useless.
I would agree with you then I look at Hollywood and the film and TV industry. Movie stars get paid millions upon millions to dress up and play make believe. At least Mike Trout possesses a skill set that nobody else on this planet can match. If you think of sports as entertainment, like a movie is entertainment, then he absolutely deserves to be getting paid what he does.

That's a very narrow view. Without the release of entertainment, whether through movies, music, sports, etc. society would implode. Sports play a valuable role in the mental well being of healthy people. Those who excel and bring enjoyment to millions deserve commensurate compensation.
"All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy."

That quote about sums it up.

Reactions: DFSNOLE

Still, no human being needs $430 million dollars to live.

Is $100 million not enough?

It's simply selfishness.

Still, no human being needs $430 million dollars to live.

Is $100 million not enough?

It's simply selfishness.

Lol, so your arbitrary cutoff is $100 million then? Yes let's all go by Tim's rules. What're some other rules you'd like? I'm in the mood for a good laugh.

The caveat here is Trout is worth every penny. Harper will never live up to his deal, and Machado will probably eat his way out of the league.

I see your bias against lefties and browns here.

;)

That's a tremendous assumption.

Even still, why does any human being need $430 million dollars for playing a sport???

No one is saying he shouldn't be a millionaire, but having more money than entire populations of countries while 20,000 children die each day from easily preventable illnesses seems a bit selfish to me...

I get the relativism, but the reality is that there are billions of dollars in sports. TV deals, advertising, merchandise, attendance, etc. How do you re-route money from MLB to poor nations? if you're not doing that, either the owners keep more money or players, coaches and support staff get more.

He's absolutely worth it. Apparently what you do isn't as valuable as what he does, that's just reality. Why is people going to games and spending money on sports asinine?

It's not necessarily "value", it's about "scarcity". There are probably a couple million CPAs in this country capable of doing my taxes. There are millions of contractors who can re-build my porch. There are maybe 5 guys in the history of baseball in Mike Trout's ballpark.

Reactions: bojihawk44
Lol, so your arbitrary cutoff is $100 million then? Yes let's all go by Tim's rules. What're some other rules you'd like? I'm in the mood for a good laugh.

My cut off is actually much less.

I don't see why anyone needs hundreds of millions of dollars to live. Can you explain that to me?

How many mansions does this guy need to buy before he's comfortable?

But again....that money currently exists in baseball. What would you propose happen?

There's not much I can do, obviously. It just shows how ridiculous our culture is.

People that are caregivers for sick people make $15 an hour. People that can play a sport well make millions times more, which no one needs.

I don't see why anyone needs hundreds of millions of dollars to live. Can you explain that to me?

Dude, that's the best part, Mike Trout isn't like that. I think he still lives with his parents in the off-season. You begrudge the guy for making so much money but don't know anything about him. Would not be surprised to find out he donates millions to charities, in fact, I almost guarantee that he does. I'm going to Google that now.

Once again you have your random cutoffs. You don't need that TV in your house, you don't need that new pair of pants, blah blah blah I could go on all day.

Who knows what kind of donations this guy will make to charity. Well apparently you do, & you've come to the conclusion he won't make any.

Last but not least, it's evident you've never seen Mike Trout play baseball.

There's not much I can do, obviously. It just shows how ridiculous our culture is.

People that are caregivers for sick people make $15 an hour. People that can play a sport well make millions times more, which no one needs.

I get it....but that's just not what drives salaries. In an ideal world, I'd pay teachers 4-5x what they make now, but the reality is, public teachers are paid by public tax money and private school teachers are paid from tuition. There are simply limits.

I see your bias against lefties and browns here.

;)
Machado is already pushing maximum density.
As for a lefty, I’d back up the Brinks truck for the right player. I know this will make the WAR freaks come out, but there is room in the discussion for old timey stats, and Harper las pushed across 99 RBIs once, and 100 once.
Trout does exceptional baseball guy type stuff every game. Pay the man!

As for a lefty, I’d back up the Brinks truck for the right player. I know this will make the WAR freaks come out, but there is room in the discussion for old timey stats, and Harper las pushed across 99 RBIs once, and 100 once.

tenor.gif

You're good with most of the WAR folks regarding Harper. He's had one season with a +9 WAR. Trout has had three over 10 and 2 more over 9. Harper and Trout aren't in the same class.

Once again you have your random cutoffs. You don't need that TV in your house, you don't need that new pair of pants, blah blah blah I could go on all day.

Who knows what kind of donations this guy will make to charity. Well apparently you do, & you've come to the conclusion he won't make any.

Last but not least, it's evident you've never seen Mike Trout play baseball.

I'm not blaming Mike Trout. It's just our culture that's ridiculous. It really shows what our cultural values.

Last edited:
They're all selfish. No one needs that amount of money while millions of people starve.

There are ways to help those people and also let Mike Trout get paid. Baseball players should be way down the list of people to draw ire.

There are ways to help those people and also let Mike Trout get paid. Baseball players should be way down the list of people to draw ire.

Our culture is what deserves ire. Complete narcissism.

Our president is a perfect example.

12 years is a long deal and I am sure it is structured in a way that gives the angles some protection as Trout, while still young and awesome, appears to have the sort of build that makes you wonder when his hammy, quad or bicept is going to pop.

Reactions: goldmom
Our culture is what deserves ire. Complete narcissism.

Our president is a perfect example.

Just because you want to feed kids doesn't mean you have to be such a terrible poster. Which culture would you impose upon us?

Reactions: unIowa
Just because you want to feed kids doesn't mean you have to be such a terrible poster. Which culture would you impose upon us?

Our neighbor up north tends to place a higher value on sharing than America does. America is all about individualism.

Reactions: GOHOX69
Mike Trout is outstanding and deserves the biggest contract in baseball.

But, I don't understand the Angels. How many excellent ballplayers could they get over the next 12 years with 430 million? It's not like the NBA, where one guy can potentially take you deep into the playoffs, or even the NFL where you absolutely have to have a QB to win. Has Trout even been to the playoffs yet?

It's like the Cubs with Sosa. Great player, no doubt, but I think the Yankees once offered the Cubs a small pile of top prospects for him. I would have taken the 4 or 5 prospect in a heartbeat. I don't know how one player can command so a large % of your payroll and be worth it to the club.

If you get right down to it, no one person needs $50k. Where exactly do you draw the line? Inquiring minds want to know.

Sure they do. A family with children needs $50k.

I draw the line at a person having way more than they need.

You really can't see the difference between 50k and 430 million?

Reactions: GOHOX69
Sure they do. A family with children needs $50k.

I draw the line at a person having way more than they need.

You really can't see the difference between 50k and 430 million?
There are millions of families who live off of less than $50k.
You're the one being the arbiter of what people need.
Oh, and $50k is less than 1/4 of a nine inning game for Trout and I have zero issue with that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT