ADVERTISEMENT

Minnesota @ Iowa Baseball

Mar 14, 2003
Iowa hosts Minnesota in Iowa City this week on Friday - 6pm, Saturday - 2pm, and Sunday - 1pm. Iowa will go with Mathews, Kuebel, and Peyton. Minnesota's Friday start is Wilton, Iowa native and DMACC product Alec Crawford. Crawford went 7 against Iowa last year and allowed two runs.

This is a big series for both teams as they are both 5-7 in the B1G and tied for 7th. Right now they have the last two spots in the B1G tournament with Ohio State right on their tail in 9th @ 4-8.

Iowa hasn't taken a series from the Gophers since 2005 and they are 12-27 against them in the last ten years. I really, really want to see them take the series.

I personally think it will be tough, I think Iowa is due to have some success against Minnesota. Plus they are coached by John Anderson who has appeared to make it his mission to try and ensure the B1G stays down in baseball.

Originally posted by IowaHawkeyeFBnBB4Life:

I personally think it will be tough, I think Iowa is due to have some success against Minnesota. Plus they are coached by John Anderson who has appeared to make it his mission to try and ensure the B1G stays down in baseball.
This made me laugh. Care to explain?

Well for starts Anderson was one that would like to see the B1G play summer baseball and not even be part of the NCAA, which would eliminate any B1G team from being able to play in the NCAA Tournament/CWS back in 2012. Anderson is quoted as to saying....

"There were four SEC teams in the College World Series last year. We're never going to catch those people," he said. "The system works for them, and they're not going to want to change it. People are going to criticize this idea, but we need to get people talking about it."

It is an uphill climb for the B1G in baseball I agree, but it's not impossible. The new RPI system really helps B1G teams when they play road games. Will the B1G ever be the SEC? No, but there is no reason why the conference can't compete more and you are starting to see schools put more money into it. The Feb-May season does suck, but it is what it is at this point.

I also believe Anderson was against making the B1G conference tournament bigger or so I have heard, but I cannot find a link for that.

LINK

Originally posted by IowaHawkeyeFBnBB4Life:

Well for starts Anderson was one that would like to see the B1G play summer baseball and not even be part of the NCAA, which would eliminate any B1G team from being able to play in the NCAA Tournament/CWS back in 2012. Anderson is quoted as to saying....

"There were four SEC teams in the College World Series last year. We're never going to catch those people," he said. "The system works for them, and they're not going to want to change it. People are going to criticize this idea, but we need to get people talking about it."

It is an uphill climb for the B1G in baseball I agree, but it's not impossible. The new RPI system really helps B1G teams when they play road games. Will the B1G ever be the SEC? No, but there is no reason why the conference can't compete more and you are starting to see schools put more money into it. The Feb-May season does suck, but it is what it is at this point.

I also believe Anderson was against making the B1G conference tournament bigger or so I have heard, but I cannot find a link for that.
Huh, I don't remember him saying all that. I guess I like Anderson quite a bit because of how long he's been around and his background. I don't like his stance regarding summer baseball, though.

Ouch, Iowa and Minnesota were tied 3-3 and Iowa had the bases loaded with 1 out in the 8th and as typical this seaso they strike out the final two outs. Minnesota then gets guys on 1st and 2nd with no outs, Iowa gets a K then an error by the outfield (no specifics) allows to go ahead run to score, Iowa then has to walk the bases loaded with one out and is in a major jam with Minnesota up 4-3. What a crappy way to probably lose a game that was there for the taking....

I really hope that error wasn't an out, because Radtke was brought in with the guys on 1st and 2nd with no outs and besides the error that allowed Minnesota to take a 4-3 lead, he got 3 K's to end the inning.

Iowa loses 4-3, at the end of the year if this team misses the B1G tournament (which seems likely now) they are going to look back at today, last Friday vs NW, and to a lesser extent the Michigan games.

Iowa is now 20-15 and 5-8 in the B1G, we absolutely cannot get swept by Minnesota this weekend and they have some more strong starters this weekend.

Iowa beats Minnesota today 11-5 in Iowa City. Iowa was trailing 5-0 after 2 and then was able to get Minnesota starter Ben Meyer out of the game after 5 which was huge, considering Meyer was a sub 3.00 ERA guy and is just a quality pitcher. The score was 5-4 Minny after 5 when Iowa scored 4 runs in 6th, 2 in the 7th, and 1 in the 8th to get the 11-5 lead.

Sasha Kuebel after a rough 1st inning where he allowed 5 hits and 4 runs settled down and went 7 innings for Iowa allowing a total of 10 hits and 5 runs, he gets the W as well. Blake Hickman threw 1 2/3 innings, but gave up a single and a walk in the 9th with two outs. Iowa then went to Jared Mandel who got the final out of the game.

On offense for Iowa they changed some things up today as Jake Yacinich hit in the cleanup spot for Iowa, he went 2-3 with 2 RBIs including a triple. Taylor Zeutenhorst was 2-4 with another homerun today which was a solo shot. Jimmy Frankos who has been on an offensive tear since he was installed as full time starter went 4-5 with 2 RBIs today. Jake Mangler while he was 0-4 hitting today had 3 RBIs.

Iowa did benefit from 4 Minnesota errors that allowed 4 unearned runs. However, after the way Iowa lost last night and W.Illinois game. I will take it.

Series is tied at 1-1 with the rubber match on Sunday, Tyler Peyton will be throwing for Iowa.

Hawks take 2 of 3 with another come from behind win. almost gave it away in 9th.

huge win.

not just for the program but for post season opportunity.
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

Iowa had a six run, six hit 7th inning after trailing 3-0 headed into the Bottom 7th. Dan Potempa had a big three run HR in the 7th. Before the 7th inning, Iowa had just managed three hits. Iowa scored one which turned out being a big insurance run in the 8th off of a 2-out Dan Potempa double that scored Eric Toole.

Tyler Peyton gave Iowa a good enough start as he went 6 1/3 allowing nine hits, three earned runs. The bullpen struggled with two outs in the 9th for whatever reason as Minnesota with two outs and runners on 1st/2nd got three straight singles to cut the lead to 7-6, Iowa managed to get the final out though.

Iowa is now 22-15 (22 wins is what Iowa had all of last year) and 7-8 in the B1G. Iowa faces Creighton on Wednesday (if the weather cooperates) and then steps out of conference with a home series vs South Dakota State next weekend. The next three B1G series will be tough and huge as Iowa faces Ohio State, Illinois, and Purdue.

This was the first time since 2005 Iowa wins a series vs Minnesota.

you just get the sense that Iowa is so very close to turning the corner and being an upper tier b10 team.

a couple good recruiting seasons and its intriguing to see the possibilities.
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

Originally posted by hawkeye4316:
you just get the sense that Iowa is so very close to turning the corner and being an upper tier b10 team.

a couple good recruiting seasons and its intriguing to see the possibilities.

Posted from wireless.rivals.com
Absolutely, especially when you look at how Iowa lost the 1st game of the Minnesota series, 1st game of the Northwestern series, and the last two vs Michigan. All four of those could have easily went the other way and if they had we're sitting at 11-4 in the B1G. It is what it is though and we didn't make plays when we had to. We also need more arms in the pen.

It just shows how important playing quality defense is and having quality starting and relief pitching. I think Iowa is very close. However, things get a little tougher next year when you add Maryland into the mix.

Hawks are now 6th in the B1G. Just on the heels of Michigan and PSU for 4th and 5th respectively. 9 conference games left.

Also of note that the Creighton game is scheduled to be on CBS Sports Network Wednesday.

I think we can go 6-3 to finish. Purdue looks to be only slightly better than Northwestern and OSU is well under .500.. Illinois is in 2nd place .

tOSU will be tough, they got swept by Nebraska all in games they could have easily won. Two of those loses were walk-off wins with 2 outs in the 9th by Nebby.

I would say if Vegas gave odds, tOSU would be picked to win the series vs Iowa, they have some tough pitching.

Sounds like Tyler Peyton suffered an injury during the game today, that is not good at all! Heller said in post game it seems like a pull of some kind, hopefully it is a minor injury. I am not sure who would fill in as that third starter if we need one. Iowa's pitching staff is already thin to begin with as we had a couple injuries prior to the season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT