ADVERTISEMENT

*****Minnesota vs Iowa Game Thread*****

First Half GIF

PMac, player of the game.

You know Pappa grooving on that. Krikke is really awful at both rebounding and defense. This game might give Fran the excuse to sit Krikke and play PMAC. Fran needs to stick with playing Dix and Perkins at the guard. Not liking the 4 forwards and 1 guard look.

Is there some reason we can’t be that aggressive on ball screens all the time?
Exactly. Freeman really went after it and Dix stuck to his man. Turns out we can play defense if we want.

PMac was MVP. Really hit some key shots and carried us back into the game.

Freeman is going to be perhaps the best big man defender we’ve had at Iowa going back to Acie Earl or Eric Hansen. Blocking shots inside and on the perimeter. Switching on guards and getting back to defend the middle. Outstanding.

Had to be a groin pull for Garcia....very fortutuitous for Hawks.

Momentum is a real thing.

Exactly. Freeman really went after it and Dix stuck to his man. Turns out we can play defense if we want.

Freeman is going to be perhaps the best big man defender we’ve had at Iowa going back to Acie Earl or Eric Hansen. Blocking shots inside and on the perimeter. Switching on guards and getting back to defend the middle. Outstanding.
Gabe was pretty damn solid on defense

Whoa Nelly as someone once said

When the Hawks started getting closer - maybe 10-12, all of a sudden those Minny 3's that were so easy earlier didn't go down.

But, I'm not sure the Hawks catch them if Garcia is not hurt.

Reactions: DewHawk
Fran kept with his veterans, took out Krikke, and called off the press. All three moves were important for Iowa to come back from down 20. I wasn't the only one that was shocked Iowa came back and won the game.
Minnesota losing their center to an injury had a lot to do with it, now can he promptly go pro after this season, Owen demands it!

Reactions: Mohawkeye
Fran kept with his veterans, took out Krikke, and called off the press. All three moves were important for Iowa to come back from down 20. I wasn't the only one that was shocked Iowa came back and won the game.
Minnesota losing their center to an injury had a lot to do with it, now can he promptly go pro after this season, Owen demands it!
Agree, especially on Krikke. I thought that was key because if he’s not hitting 70% of his shots he’s just a big liability on defense and rebounding.

Reactions: RocknRollface
Yes Garcia is an absolute stud, living up to his top 25 rating out of HS.
If gophers lose him for more games their season is cooked.

Just nice to feel good about hawk BB for a day.
Tough road ahead but a few days of relief anyway.

You know Pappa grooving on that. Krikke is really awful at both rebounding and defense. This game might give Fran the excuse to sit Krikke and play PMAC. Fran needs to stick with playing Dix and Perkins at the guard. Not liking the 4 forwards and 1 guard look.
Going forward, it will be interesting to see who that 5th guy is during important stretches.

Perkins and Dix are becoming a good guard duo, Freeman is the best rebounding and defending big, and Sandfort certainly isn’t coming out.

Going forward, it will be interesting to see who that 5th guy is during important stretches.

Perkins and Dix are becoming a good guard duo, Freeman is the best rebounding and defending big, and Sandfort certainly isn’t coming out.
IF (BIG IF) PM plays like he did today, I would rather he played than Krikke.

This team has no business full court pressing anyone, at least not zone anyway. Way to slow.

Reactions: Roncuba55
The 4 forward look cost the game at psu.

Limiting Krikkes minutes is key especially if Patrickis going to play more. You can't have a guy who spends most of his time in the lane be terrible at both rebounding and interior defense and expect to win games.

Dix, Perkins and Freeman should play as much as possible, Sandfort should play at least half his minutes at the 4 spot. Ben and Pat should never be on the floor together.

All of this was obvious months ago.

Agree, especially on Krikke. I thought that was key because if he’s not hitting 70% of his shots he’s just a big liability on defense and rebounding.

That's been my observation...opposing Bigs are shooting well North of 60 percent anyone that Krikke is guarding and then he also doesn't rebound. Good to see his minutes cut down to 17 min. If PMAC starts at the 3, and Sandy slides over to the PF spot, we don't lose anything on defense and we get more options on offense.

Krikke is okay situationally, but Fran has been playing him 35 min/game and he's a weak link in the starting lineup.

We have 3 pretty good defenders in Freeman, Dix, Perkins. Sandfort rebounds pretty well. We can play better on defense than we've shown.

Almost turned it off when Iowa was down 20. I know more than a few of you thought about it (or maybe did)

The 4 forward look cost the game at psu.

Limiting Krikkes minutes is key especially if Patrickis going to play more. You can't have a guy who spends most of his time in the lane be terrible at both rebounding and interior defense and expect to win games.

Dix, Perkins and Freeman should play as much as possible, Sandfort should play at least half his minutes at the 4 spot. Ben and Pat should never be on the floor together.

All of this was obvious months ago.
It's been obvious to us for months, but will it be to Fran? We'll see on Wednesday. But I'm not holding my breath.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT