ADVERTISEMENT

Missouri v tOSU on ESPN 3

FineMaterial

HR All-State
Feb 10, 2013
Halftime, Missou up 14-10.

Highlight:
Synon with an underhook throw to pin Dejulius.
Micah Jordon loses to Manley by giving up a takedown with 5 sec left.

Worst I've seen Micah look all year. Pretty much did nothing the entire match. McGee should have been stalled out of the match at 125. I'm surprised he didn't turn his back while he was running away from Tomasello

Bo didn't look so hot either. He is flat out bad on bottom. Mizzouri is definitely wrestling with more intensity

Bo didn't look so hot either. He is flat out bad on bottom. Mizzouri is definitely wrestling with more intensity
This! He has now been ridden to death by Lewis, I Jordan and Ringer. That is a big problem if he wants to unseat Ringer.
tOSU looked bad in general outside a few guys. Mizzou bushwhacked them. Good dual - announcers were solid, lots o' righteous stall calls.

This! He has now been ridden to death by Lewis, I Jordan and Ringer. That is a big problem if he wants to unseat Ringer.
tOSU looked bad in general outside a few guys. Mizzou bushwhacked them. Good dual - announcers were solid, lots o' righteous stall calls.
Yes, I love the ref. Lots of correct, fair stall calls. Tonight's dual should be used for ref training

Where was Myles Martin?
I think CP had it right on Twitter. He was ready but they may have decided not to pull the trigger for now seeing how sluggish Bo looked. For the 165/174 gambit to work, scoring for them with Martin in at 174 has to be appreciably better than with Bo at 174 and a hole at 165 in order to make burning Martin's redshirt worth it. It will be better but how much better.

Of course there's always this assumption that Jordan dominates at 174. We'll see about that as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: NYWRESTLER94
FWIW Lewis is pretty tough on top. It's his best position IMO.

Lewis gets better on his feet, we might have another Ed Ruth on our hands with those long arms. Kid is a stud but sometimes has mental lapses or that one bad match. He will be a legit threat to win it all by COB next year

Just got done watching...Yes, tOSU looked like crap except for 125 and 157. Courts was dead by middle of the 2nd period and got TF'd by Miklus.

I think this match is going to go a long way towards keeping Myles Martin Redshirt on.

Bo did not look like himself at 165, yes he beat a top 10 opponent, but he looked awful in doing so. Honestly, I am surprised Lewis didn't pull it off in the 3rd. Bo, made one good adjustment when Lewis got in solidly late in the 3rd period and Bo got the takedown instead, but that easily could have gone the other way. Bo, is returning from injury and this is his first appearance at 165. So, while everyone is assuming it was the weight cut that had him dragging, and it might very well be. However, it is possible it isn't the weight cut rather instead the injury is lingering and still bothering him. I don't know the answer, but I do know he did not look like himself at all. Bo has a real weakness on bottom, like so many great high school wrestlers he hasn't spent much time down there and now it is catching up to him against guys who are tough on top. I don't know much about Lewis, but he pounded Bo on top. This is something that has to get corrected before the postseason.

141- Micah looked soooooo slow. I have never seen him look so bad. He gave up a takedown with about 5 second left to lose. Not sure what the issue is/was, but it was ugly. I hope he was sick or something, because the Micah out there today isn't scoring many points in March.

133- Dijulius also was winning late and just stopped wrestling and got pinned. It wasn't a fluke either as he hit him with the same move towards the end of the second, but it was out of bounds. Dijulius managed to hit his barrel roll and then was trying to sit on his lead. The whole country knows what he is trying to do out there from neutral. He is going to have to expand if he hopes to earn low AA honors.

184- Courts looked the absolute worst I have ever seen him look, he was tech'd and it looked like Milkus could do what ever he wanted out there. It is hard to even describe how bad he was.

Hvy- Tavanello won by pin, but he was Lat dropped for 5 and was lucky he wasn't on the other side of a pin.

149- Bucher, Did nothing, looked like he was only trying to avoid bonus against Mayes. He still couldn't though.

The Buckeyes were called for stalling in every match save 125, 157, and 197, think about that for a second.

Now for the positives.

125- Tomasello looked great. McGhee was a track star out there.

157- Ryan is looking more and more like a guy who is going to contribute. Most people thought he was never going to start for the Buckeyes and would just be a "practice" wrestler. However, here he is starting as a RS Freshmen and looking very solid.

197- Mark Martin, he was clearly out matched by Cox, but he was actually trying to wrestle (unlike the 125 and 149 match). He isn't going to scare anyone, but as he is adjusting to the weight he is looking better.. You know it is a bad match for someone when a guy who gets majored is one of your positives.

Even with a healthy Hunter Stieber this team is not going to compete for a repeat National Championship, so Myles Martin should stay on his redshirt and Bo Jordan should stay at 174, where he looks much stronger. I admit I jumped the gun after the early season results in thinking what was possible from this team. I was wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: NYWRESTLER94
I think this match is going to go a long way towards keeping Myles Martin Redshirt on.

Bo did not look like himself at 165, yes he beat a top 10 opponent, but he looked awful in doing so. Honestly, I am surprised Lewis didn't pull it off in the 3rd. Bo, made one good adjustment when Lewis got in solidly late in the 3rd period and Bo got the takedown instead, but that easily could have gone the other way. Bo, is returning from injury and this is his first appearance at 165. So, while everyone is assuming it was the weight cut that had him dragging, and it might very well be. However, it is possible it isn't the weight cut rather instead the injury is lingering and still bothering him. I don't know the answer, but I do know he did not look like himself at all. Bo has a real weakness on bottom, like so many great high school wrestlers he hasn't spent much time down there and now it is catching up to him against guys who are tough on top. I don't know much about Lewis, but he pounded Bo on top. This is something that has to get corrected before the postseason.

141- Micah looked soooooo slow. I have never seen him look so bad. He gave up a takedown with about 5 second left to lose. Not sure what the issue is/was, but it was ugly. I hope he was sick or something, because the Micah out there today isn't scoring many points in March.

133- Dijulius also was winning late and just stopped wrestling and got pinned. It wasn't a fluke either as he him him with the same move towards the end of the second, but it was out of bounds. Dijulius managed to hit his barrel roll and then was trying to sit on his lead. The whole country knows what he is trying to do out there from neutral. He is going to have to expand if he hopes to earn low AA honors.

184- Courts looked the absolute worst I have ever seen him look, he was tech'd and it looked like Milkus could do what ever he wanted out there. It is hard to even describe how bad he was.

Hvy- Tavanello won by pin, but he was Lat dropped for 5 and was lucky he wasn't on the other side of a pin.

149- Bucher, Did nothing, looked like he was only trying to avoid bonus against Mayes. He still couldn't though.

The Buckeyes were called for stalling in every match save 125, 157, and 197, think about that for a second.

Now for the positives.

125- Tomasello looked great. McGhee was a track star out there.

157- Ryan is looking more and more like a guy who is going to contribute. Most people thought he was never going to start for the Buckeyes and would just be a "practice" wrestler. However, here he is starting as a RS Freshmen and looking very solid.

197- Mark Martin, he was clearly out matched by Cox, but he was actually trying to wrestle (unlike the 125 and 149 match). He isn't going to scare anyone, but as he is adjusting to the weight he is looking better.. You know it is a bad match for someone when a guy who gets majored is one of your positives.

Even with a healthy Hunter Stieber this team is not going to compete for a repeat National Championship, so Myles Martin should stay on his redshirt and Bo Jordan should stay at 174, where he looks much stronger. I admit I jumped the gun after the early season results in thinking what was possible from this team. I was wrong.
A single competition and you reverse course?

A single competition and you reverse course?

Yes.

I have not completely reversed course though. However, I just can no longer justify pulling Martin's redshirt.

If Bo Jordan is not dominate at 165 it is just not worth it. He needs to not only win, but put up bonus points in every match that is not Dieringer. Which doesn't look possible, he is a big 174. I think 165 is too much. Look at what extreme weight cutting is doing to Okie St. (Heil almost quit the team last season and moved to Ohio, when Smith was insisting on 133, Collica the year before that was vocal about what the cut to 141 was doing to him, and now Marstallar) cutting weight is not the best option nearly as often as people think.

I still believe all of my end of the season projection possibilities. Still a top 5 team, but I don't think a National Championship is possible even with a healthy Hunter and a low to mid range AA in Myles Martin.

I tuned in for a bit, the crowd was so sparse I thought it was OHIO, not OHIO St. PS- my feed was pretty blurry. Or maybe too many cocktails last night.

It was tweeted that it was MU's 5th largest attendance all-time...I'd have to look back but I think it was around 2,500. Keep in mind this was a "bad" time to hold this dual with all high schools competing in their own tournaments yesterday.

Mark my words, Lewis will go down as one of the best top position wrestlers in NCAA history before he's done...

I remember watching Lewis pin Marlin in a cradle in some big Missouri tournament i think when Marlin was a SR after he had signed with the hawks, hadn't heard of him until then, but then watched a lot of his matches before that and since then, he is an absolute hammer on top.

I remember watching Lewis pin Marlin in a cradle in some big Missouri tournament i think when Marlin was a SR after he had signed with the hawks, hadn't heard of him until then, but then watched a lot of his matches before that and since then, he is an absolute hammer on top.

I had the pleasure of watching him all through HS and he's a beast. I passed his name along to the coaching staff early but he was always bound for Mizzou. I echo Gobblin's sentiments though - he is an absolute monster on top but he's also very good from neutral. I'll be surprised if he's not an NC before he's done.

Reactions: Gobblin
I had the pleasure of watching him all through HS and he's a beast. I passed his name along to the coaching staff early but he was always bound for Mizzou. I echo Gobblin's sentiments though - he is an absolute monster on top but he's also very good from neutral. I'll be surprised if he's not an NC before he's done.

I have been watching him since his sophomore year as well...I wrestled for Blue Springs for a year so it was nice to see that they kept up their stellar tradition. They have had a lot of good ones come out of there but he is the best. Lewis is one of those guys...if he figures out that he is the best, not many will stop him...he has that kind of talent. I remember when he pinned Marlin in the finals of KC Stampede...Imagine TnT coaching a guy like that on his feet with the conditioning?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT