ADVERTISEMENT

Mitch is stepping down

did he actually announce it?

or did he just stand there, motionless, staring straight ahead for 20 seconds after someone asked him about it?
You do k ow his episodes were related to his concussion, right? Just like Fetterman and his stroke?

Joe’s mind is just decomposing in front of us.

Reactions: hexumhawk
This is going to be interesting. As in most states, Kentucky law allows the governor to appoint a temporary replacement until the next election. But unlike most other states, it states that the governor must choose from one of three candidates submitted by an executive committee of the outgoing senator’s party.

Kentucky Governor Andy Beshear is a Democrat and has not committed to choosing a Republican replacement.
Didn’t they change that law after AB was elected and panic set in about Mitch’s health?

Reactions: sober_teacher
Joe might have left if Mitch hadn’t been such a pussy and blocked the impeachments of Trump.
He blocked the impeachments of Trump? I thought they had the Senate trials and voted in both cases.

Are you losing your mental faculties?

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
Didn’t they change that law after AB was elected and panic set in about Mitch’s health?
Not sure about health issues but they did change the law to add the party requirement about 3 years ago, shortly after Mitch’s current term began.

Six other states also require the replacement to be from the same party as the outgoing senator - Arizona, Hawaii, Maryland, North Carolina, Utah, and Wyoming.

This. For all of his faults, Mitch was at least sane and pragmatic. His replacement may well not be.
Non-Defense spending as a percentage of GDP increased significantly during his tenure as party leader in the senate. He has a net worth of $35 Million serving as a public servant. That does not sit well with me. I am glad to see his time come to an end.

Non-Defense spending as a percentage of GDP increased significantly during his tenure as party leader in the senate. He has a net worth of $35 Million serving as a public servant. That does not sit well with me. I am glad to see his time come to an end.
Now do the others.

Think Mitch realized he will just be too slow to rush to the bunker when gravy team 6 and the other maga warriors participate in insurrection day 2.0

Reactions: anon_911569jwrmy3z
Sounds like it's the law so he will have no choice.

Mitch should step down earlier and let them have the election in November for one thing it will save the state money.
Yeah Mitch spearheaded a move to change that law in KY once Beshear won the governorship.
Who is the leading candidate to take his spot?

Will be interesting. I don't think anyone in the GOP leadership will have the same control over their members that Mitch did.

Reactions: cigaretteman
Mitch didn’t block the impeachments. Joel is having memory issue.
From the perspective of if he’d wanted, he could have pushed senate republicans to vote to convict trump, or let members to vote their conscience; and that 2nd trial could have gone very differently.

That’s one I’d love to have the private conversation of what went on in that decision making process; after making the public comments that Trump was responsible but then not voting to convict. Did he think trump would fade away and voting to convict would only alienate his supporters?

From the perspective of if he’d wanted, he could have pushed senate republicans to vote to convict trump, or let members to vote their conscience; and that 2nd trial could have gone very differently.

That’s one I’d love to have the private conversation of what went on in that decision making process; after making the public comments that Trump was responsible but then not voting to convict. Did he think trump would fade away and voting to convict would only alienate his supporters?
Bullshit. That like a judge telling a jury to come back with a specific verdict. They vote their own conscience.

• Haha
Bullshit. That like a judge telling a jury to come back with a specific verdict. They vote their own conscience.
In what’s a political trial? It’s not accurate at all to compare to a criminal trial.

How many times have we seen Mitch or Pelosi hold votes until they knew they could pass something? How many times have we seen both of them publicly reign in wayward members?

I’m not saying the needed number of Republican senators to cross to vote to convict was there, but I think had he opened the door there were more who might have.

In what’s a political trial? It’s not accurate at all to compare to a criminal trial.

How many times have we seen Mitch or Pelosi hold votes until they knew they could pass something? How many times have we seen both of them publicly reign in wayward members?

I’m not saying the needed number of Republican senators to cross to vote to convict was there, but I think had he opened the door there were more who might have.
Okay, then I should assume the ranking Democrat in the Senate at the time blocked the impeachment of Clinton? Agreed?

Okay, then I should assume the ranking Democrat in the Senate at the time blocked the impeachment of Clinton? Agreed?
I would guess there was a lot discussion about it and Dems mostly closed ranks - I was all of 15 at the time so I have no clue. For the 2nd impeachment in particular tho - you had several republicans who were publicly very critical of trumps actions on 1/6 who ultimately voted not guilty. Do they still do so if Mitch decides differently?

I would guess there was a lot discussion about it and Dems mostly closed ranks - I was all of 15 at the time so I have no clue. For the 2nd impeachment in particular tho - you had several republicans who were publicly very critical of trumps actions on 1/6 who ultimately voted not guilty. Do they still do so if Mitch decides differently?
Probably not.

Mitch didn't kill the border bill on Trump's insistence, that was Mike Johnson.

Don't get me wrong Mitch is a right winger. But he doesn't kneel to Trump. He's one of the few Republicans left who can manage to maintain his power without kneeling to Trump.
Oh he kneels to Trump. He's getting ready to endorse the pig. Just watch, he will kneel.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT