ADVERTISEMENT

Mitt Romney said Trump running for president in 2024 is 'like the aging pitcher who keeps losing games'

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Sen. Mitt Romney of Utah said former President Donald Trump is "like the aging pitcher who keeps losing games," blaming him for the GOP's muted performance in the midterms and cautioning against support for him in a potential 2024 presidential run.

"I think President Trump was an albatross on the electoral prospects for some of our candidates," Romney told MSNBC's Saul Kapur. "He helped select some of the people who turned out not to be very effective candidates."

A recording of Romney's comments was played Monday evening on MSNBC's "All In with Chris Hayes."

"I understand that he's going to run for president and announce that tomorrow. It's like the aging pitcher who keeps losing games," Romney added.

View on Watch

"If we want to win, we need a different pitcher on the mound," he said. "And I know there's some fans that love him, but it's time for him to get off the mound, because we have a real strong bench."

The senator has been fiercely critical of Trump since the 2016 election, calling him a "fraud" and saying he was "playing members of the American public for suckers."

Romney voted to convict Trump in both of the then-president's impeachment trials.

In May, he said it's likely Trump would easily become the 2024 Republican presidential nominee if he runs. Trump hasn't declared a presidential campaign, though he said he would be making a "big announcement" on November 15.

Romney's recent comments come as various corners of the Republican party lay blame on each other for the GOP's lackluster results at this year's midterms.

As of Monday evening, Democrats maintained a majority in the Senate and are still contesting control of the House — a disappointing result for Republican leaders who previously believed a "red wave" of GOP votes would sweep the US.

Trump and several of his supporters have blamed Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell. The former president has been calling his allies in Congress and urging them to fault the Kentucky senator, CNN reported.

On the other hand, Trump himself has been on the receiving end of criticism from Republican analysts, pundits, and now leaders like Romney for his apparent effect on voters.

While 93% of candidates endorsed by Trump won their primaries, the former president's endorsement success rate dropped to 80% in the general elections, per data from Ballotpedia. Several high-profile candidates that he backed lost to their Democratic opponents, including senate candidates Blake Masters in Arizona and Mehmet Oz in Pennsylvania, as well as Tudor Dixon, who ran for governor in Michigan.

Notably, Florida Governor Ron DeSantis won re-election by a 20-percentage point margin despite Trump's attempts to undermine him the week before. The former president had publicly mocked DeSantis with the nickname "Ron DeSanctimonious," and held a Florida rally that competed with DeSantis' campaign events on a crucial Sunday before the midterms.

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
Sen. Mitt Romney of Utah said former President Donald Trump is "like the aging pitcher who keeps losing games," blaming him for the GOP's muted performance in the midterms and cautioning against support for him in a potential 2024 presidential run.

"I think President Trump was an albatross on the electoral prospects for some of our candidates," Romney told MSNBC's Saul Kapur. "He helped select some of the people who turned out not to be very effective candidates."

A recording of Romney's comments was played Monday evening on MSNBC's "All In with Chris Hayes."

"I understand that he's going to run for president and announce that tomorrow. It's like the aging pitcher who keeps losing games," Romney added.

View on Watch

"If we want to win, we need a different pitcher on the mound," he said. "And I know there's some fans that love him, but it's time for him to get off the mound, because we have a real strong bench."

The senator has been fiercely critical of Trump since the 2016 election, calling him a "fraud" and saying he was "playing members of the American public for suckers."

Romney voted to convict Trump in both of the then-president's impeachment trials.

In May, he said it's likely Trump would easily become the 2024 Republican presidential nominee if he runs. Trump hasn't declared a presidential campaign, though he said he would be making a "big announcement" on November 15.

Romney's recent comments come as various corners of the Republican party lay blame on each other for the GOP's lackluster results at this year's midterms.

As of Monday evening, Democrats maintained a majority in the Senate and are still contesting control of the House — a disappointing result for Republican leaders who previously believed a "red wave" of GOP votes would sweep the US.

Trump and several of his supporters have blamed Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell. The former president has been calling his allies in Congress and urging them to fault the Kentucky senator, CNN reported.

On the other hand, Trump himself has been on the receiving end of criticism from Republican analysts, pundits, and now leaders like Romney for his apparent effect on voters.

While 93% of candidates endorsed by Trump won their primaries, the former president's endorsement success rate dropped to 80% in the general elections, per data from Ballotpedia. Several high-profile candidates that he backed lost to their Democratic opponents, including senate candidates Blake Masters in Arizona and Mehmet Oz in Pennsylvania, as well as Tudor Dixon, who ran for governor in Michigan.

Notably, Florida Governor Ron DeSantis won re-election by a 20-percentage point margin despite Trump's attempts to undermine him the week before. The former president had publicly mocked DeSantis with the nickname "Ron DeSanctimonious," and held a Florida rally that competed with DeSantis' campaign events on a crucial Sunday before the midterms.

Mitt is like a nostalgic manager who kept sending the aging pitcher to the mound.

I think the GOP has finally had enough. They really screwed up though because the should have had enough on 1-6-21 and ripped off the bandaid and got the civil war over with. This is already and will get nasty and if they should pull it out and get another person nominated for president, a huge chunk of MAGA numpties will not vote him / her. If he wins nomination, as bad as he is now, he will lose by even more than in 2020. Basically, GOP needs him to have a grabber from so many Hamberders.

Problem is that Republicans don't want this. They still desperately want Trump.
The right has 2 years to fix that and they have the momentum to do so atm. The big donors are starting to change their tune after midterms as well

True...if there are multiple R candidates and they split the non-hard core MAGA folks he has a pathway. Best scenario is 1 other R running like DeSantis...

RINO's (sadly) don't work. The Republicans seem to currently have a hard on for "own the libs" Republicans. Ronnie is definitely the man for that and I'd agree that 1v1 is the way to primary if they don't want Don.

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
Mitt is one of my favorite current republicans. If more were like Mitt we’d have a stronger country. Not saying I would necessarily choose him over a democrat, but congress and therefore America would be better for it.

This. I was / am a huge fan of Mitt. He's the last Republican I can say I was genuinely excited for and the last one to get my vote.

The party has gone nutso and probably won't recover in my lifetime. Preach on Mitt. You're unfortunately the last of a dying breed.

This is a huge Republican problem. Even if Trump doesn't get the GOP nomination, he will run as a third party candidate and take votes from Desantis (or whoever). This is their bed they made, should have convicted him for Jan 6.

>81 million people voted against Donald Trump in 2020. His actions since leaving DC certainly have increased that number.

There's no way in hell he can win another term because he's a "love or hate" candidate. 35% of the electorate won't cut it.

Reactions: cigaretteman
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT