ADVERTISEMENT

Mollie Tibbetts found dead

Total personal curiosity, but I wonder if he volunteered to talk or was held on something.

I think they approached him for questioning after they were able to positively identify his car as being the one in the surveillance videos,... I suspect questioning led to suspicious answers which in turn led to the arrest,... I guess I don't understand the use of the ICE detainer......

Explain this post.

Who are picking up these people?

Jeezis.

I've stated already: people get picked up by local police for random charges. Charges which DO NOT require serious bond (like murder). Charges that are misdemeanors.

ICE scans the records and flags names they think are illegals, and asks for detainers placed on them; often, they may not show up for days to pick them up. Detaining people w/o formal charges is illegal in this country. Thus, if ICE is unable to show up within an hour or so, local officials generally do not want to continue detaining non-violent people, when NO charges have been brought against them. That's unconstitutional. And holding people for days or a week ain't cheap for local authorities, when they ARE holding people on violent/serious crimes they prefer to use the space for.

Jeezis.

I've stated already: people get picked up by local police for random charges. Charges which DO NOT require serious bond (like murder). Charges that are misdemeanors.

ICE scans the records and flags names they think are illegals, and asks for detainers placed on them; often, they may not show up for days to pick them up. Detaining people w/o formal charges is illegal in this country. Thus, if ICE is unable to show up within an hour or so, local officials generally do not want to continue detaining non-violent people, when NO charges have been brought against them. That's unconstitutional. And holding people for days or a week ain't cheap for local authorities, when they ARE holding people on violent/serious crimes they prefer to use the space for.

An ICE detainer is unconstitutional?

Reactions: unIowa
An ICE detainer is unconstitutional?

Detaining someone w/o due process is illegal.
ICE throws out detainers like candy, and then sees what sticks, w/o regard for those caught in the net.

When we are talking about violent criminals, who are being detained either way, this is not a problem. When it is someone caught jaywalking. That is a problem.

Either way, an ICE detainer did not play AT ALL in his incarceration or arrest. Zip.
Joe's Place - post 797

Apparently neither do you Mr. rocket scientist....

LOLz

And my post is 100% correct. He was ALSO detained per an ICE request. But the detention was already on 'murder charges'.

Detaining someone w/o due process is illegal.
ICE throws out detainers like candy, and then sees what sticks, w/o regard for those caught in the net.

When we are talking about violent criminals, who are being detained either way, this is not a problem. When it is someone caught jaywalking. That is a problem.

So you are now making a legal argument that an ICE detainer is unconstitutional.

And do not differentiate your position, sanctuary cities do not care what the detainer is for-they always let them go. Period.

Are you OK with that?

Is your justification because an ICE detainer is unconstitutional? (Your words)

So you are now making a legal argument that an ICE detainer is unconstitutional.

And do not differentiate your position, sanctuary cities do not care what the detainer is for-they always let them go. Period.

Are you OK with that?

Is your justification because an ICE detainer is unconstitutional? (Your words)

numerous cases have ruled they are unconstitutional

https://www.aclusocal.org/sites/default/files/aclu_socal_roy_20180208_order_re_msjs.pdf

https://www.lexisnexis.com/legalnew...udge-detainers-unconstitutional-santoyo-v-usa

https://www.immigration-america.com/third-circuit-holds-ice-detainers-unconstitutional

Last edited:

Try again: The Central District Court, on its own motion, granted summary judgment in favor of Defendants, concluding that the Fourth Amendment does not require judicial review of ICE officers’ probable cause determinations set forth on ICE detainer forms.

https://cpoa.org/district-court-con...w-ice-officers-probable-cause-determinations/

You skipped to the justification part.

How about we discuss the underlying notion and motivation to that argument which is why locals are not required to recognize an ICE detainer?

Anyone else surprised he didn't flee immediately back in July back to MX or Central America never to be seen again? Also surprised he's cooperating..

I thought the same thing, although for the sake of closure for the family and anyone else associated with this terrible tragedy, I am glad that he didn't.

Reactions: BigOHawk
Try again: The Central District Court, on its own motion, granted summary judgment in favor of Defendants, concluding that the Fourth Amendment does not require judicial review of ICE officers’ probable cause determinations set forth on ICE detainer forms.

https://cpoa.org/district-court-con...w-ice-officers-probable-cause-determinations/

You skipped to the justification part.

How about we discuss the underlying notion and motivation to that argument which is why locals are not required to recognize an ICE detainer?

that judge was overruled and it doesnt change the fact that numerous courts have ruled them unconstitutional

that judge was overruled and it doesnt change the fact that numerous courts have ruled them unconstitutional

We discuss the legal nuances later and if someone should be held past their original release date due to an ICE detainer.

To this specifically it is hilarious to me that people think this will stand up to appeal.

A local officer can arrest someone and detain them based on probable cause and filing charges, but ICE can't ask for the same thing when they have probable cause because it violates their constitutional rights? Instead ICE needs to have a hearing to prove probable cause.

GTFO. it is legal gamemanship.

We discuss the legal nuances later and if someone should be held past their original release date due to an ICE detainer.

To this specifically it is hilarious to me that people think this will stand up to appeal.

A local officer can arrest someone and detain them based on probable cause and filing charges, but ICE can't ask for the same thing when they have probable cause because it violates their constitutional rights? Instead ICE needs to have a hearing to prove probable cause.

GTFO. it is legal gamemanship.

SCOTUS has ruled it is not a crime for a removable alien to remain present in the United States making immigration violations a civil matter rather than a criminal matter.

Anyone else surprised he didn't flee immediately back in July back to MX or Central America never to be seen again? Also surprised he's cooperating..

In retrospect I think the cops did a superb rope-a-dope here. Always acting like they knew nothing, yet had this guy from early on.

In retrospect I think the cops did a superb rope-a-dope here. Always acting like they knew nothing, yet had this guy from early on.

the fbi said earlier that they believed she knew her assailant, seems like that was to throw him off.

Prison in the USA is preferable to central & south america. Literally. Pretty scary the board wingnuts have no problem with North America turning into Latin America. Says a lot about their grasp on reality.

Probably was under 24/7 surveillance from early on.

Prison in the USA is preferable to central & south america. Literally. Pretty scary the board wingnuts have no problem with North America turning into Latin America. Says a lot about their grasp on reality.

Since liberals are so concerned with costs how about we outsource our prisoners to other countries at half the cost? Who is in?

Reactions: staygoldponyboy
Why is it the people that tend to not really care much about illegal aliens coming into the country are so over the top vicious to those that may employ them? If you're okay with illegal immigration, why do you care if they work?
Last, do you think if this dude, or ther millions of others here couldn't get work he'd have just walked back to Mexico?

What? People that don't really care? Do I know you?

LOLWUT?

ICE puts in detainment requests routinely, regardless of the violation.

IF this guy had been picked up for speeding, the local police would have given ICE the option of showing up within the normal timeframe, or they'd let him go.

However, they picked him up on a capital murder charge. They weren't letting him go, regardless of any ICE detainers placed on him.

Here Joe - you're being dishonest. Once again do you know Iowa has no capital murder?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT