ADVERTISEMENT

Moral Dilemma

Hoosierhawkeye

HB King
Sep 16, 2008
There is a film coming out in November about Dietrich Bonhoeffer who I consider to be a hero from history that doesn't get as much attention as he should.

Unfortunately the film is being produced by Angel Studios which unabashedly and unapologetically produced the lie that was the Sound of Freedom.

I want to see the movie but I'm not wanting to do something which leads to Angel Studios getting more money.

There is a film coming out in November about Dietrich Bonhoeffer who I consider to be a hero from history that doesn't get as much attention as he should.

Unfortunately the film is being produced by Angel Studios which unabashedly and unapologetically produced the lie that was the Sound of Freedom.

I want to see the movie but I'm not wanting to do something which leads to Angel Studios getting more money.

I'm not familiar with Sound of Freedom. What was the lie that upset you?

I'm not familiar with Sound of Freedom. What was the lie that upset you?
Movie should have just been touted as a fictional tale or commentary about a global problem. Then there wouldn't have been an issue since it was a good movie based on the lies of its source. ...or at least that's what's being reported. Who the hell knows any more.

Reactions: WSC72
Was expecting a different thread tbh

On topic, don't be a pussy and watch the movie. I don't think they're going to apologize about covering child sex trafficking tbh so your only other option is to move on and stop crying.

A ton of movies have taken a ton of liberty in retelling stories. Historically pretty common and most studios have probably participated
The movie Strangers was "inspired by real-life events." The events? Someone knocked on the creators door once...he answered and no one was there and other real-life incidents of home invasion.

Reactions: NDallasRuss
I question the July 20th connection. Most of those executed with him were involved in the assassination attempt, but Bonhoeffer and Canaris were almost certainly killed to prevent their testimony in Holocaust proceedings.

Bonhoeffer was in prison from early 1943 onward.

Movie should have just been touted as a fictional tale or commentary about a global problem. Then there wouldn't have been an issue since it was a good movie based on the lies of its source. ...or at least that's what's being reported. Who the hell knows any more.

A ton of movies have taken a ton of liberty in retelling stories. Historically pretty common and most studios have probably participated

I think Sound of Freedom goes beyond inspired by real events into a whole new realm of fabrication with the intent to influence real world policy.

Reactions: gohawks50
I question the July 20th connection. Most of those executed with him were involved in the assassination attempt, but Bonhoeffer and Canaris were almost certainly killed to prevent their testimony in Holocaust proceedings.

Bonhoeffer was in prison from early 1943 onward.

I'm pretty sure it's accepted that Bonhoeffer knew of the plot due to his connections, but his level of involvement was probably pretty low to non existent.

Still stood up to Hitler at the cost of his life.

Reactions: mnole03 and Torg

Personally, I wouldn't pay to see it. I do not think Angel Studios deserves my money, and I do not appreciate what they are about.

Reactions: McLovin32 and Torg
Personally, I wouldn't pay to see it. I do not think Angel Studios deserves my money, and I do not appreciate what they are about.

I'm ok with this sort of thing, in fact this is sort of the thing Christian movies should be if you ask me.

However the Sound of Freedom thing was clearly something else and was made by liars and Q-Anon crazies.

I saw Cabrini, an Angel Studios movie about Mother Teresa Cabrini, who did a lot of good for poor Italian immigrants in NYC earlier this century. I don't know why anyone would be upset about with a movie that shows someone selflessly doing good for humanity. I have no idea if they took liberties with the facts or not, and don't really care. It was a fairly decent movie with a message about helping the less fortunate. Not all religious/Christian things are bad. And I'm not terribly religious.

I had no idea this was coming out, but plan on seeing it. He is renowned in Lutheran circles. Including both LCMS and ELCA, opposing cultural views, both view him as fundamental to modern Lutheran church.

I never saw Sound of Freedom, but that movie was made at a time when "trafficking" was the buzzword on the right, and about someone that nobody knew about. This movie on the other hand is about an individual who a lot is known, and who is looked up to in both left and right leaning Christian churches (at least LCMS and ELCA Lutheran churches).

Reactions: WSC72 and preshlock
I'm ok with this sort of thing, in fact this is sort of the thing Christian movies should be if you ask me.

However the Sound of Freedom thing was clearly something else and was made by liars and Q-Anon crazies.

I don't have any issue with the companies religious roots/perspective.

I do take issue with their relationship with Sound of Freedom like you do, and also am not a fan of the VidAngel's(the company's predecessor) buisness model.

I saw Cabrini, an Angel Studios movie about Mother Teresa Cabrini, who did a lot of good for poor Italian immigrants in NYC earlier this century. I don't know why anyone would be upset about with a movie that shows someone selflessly doing good for humanity. I have no idea if they took liberties with the facts or not, and don't really care. It was a fairly decent movie with a message about helping the less fortunate. Not all religious/Christian things are bad. And I'm not terribly religious.

I don't know why you would assume anyone would be upset with those things either.

Reactions: McLovin32
I don't know why you would assume anyone would be upset with those things either.
Okay, how about I don't know why someone would say they "do not appreciate what they are about" when one of the things they have done is put out a movie that shows someone "selflessly doing good for humanity". Better?

Okay, how about I don't know why someone would say they "do not appreciate what they are about" when one of the things they have done is put out a movie that shows someone "selflessly doing good for humanity". Better?

That is definitely communicated in a better way, but still makes an awful specific assumption. I just don't like how the goals of the company at it's founding. They wanted to create a studio that made movies that could be edited to remove content viewers found objectionable. I'm not mad about it, I just don't agree with that being a good way to produce art. No biggie.

That is definitely communicated in a better way, but still makes an awful specific assumption. I just don't like how the goals of the company at it's founding. They wanted to create a studio that made movies that could be edited to remove content viewers found objectionable. I'm not mad about it, I just don't agree with that being a good way to produce art. No biggie.
Interesting. I didn't know that. I appreciate your educating me. Not sure how I feel about that either.

Reactions: Jerome Silberman
Interesting. I didn't know that. I appreciate your educating me. Not sure how I feel about that either.

Hell Yeah Yes GIF by JcrOffroad

• Haha
Reactions: alaskanseminole
I havn't seen it either but people who fact checked it pretty much concluded that the whole movie was a lie based off the words of one guy who made himself into a big hero.
Was that the Passion of the Christ guy doing the human trafficking? Yeah, the actual person it was based on was a perv, wasn't he? Like got in trouble for exactly what the movie was about?

Agreed.

I watched Rudy with my son (age 11) a little while back and he said Rudy was "whiny" and "cringy."

Never heard of it.

It's a podcast on Bill Simmons'(espn) network about movies that you've seen but would stop on when you see in channel surfing.

They just released a Rudy episode and about half of it was joking about how far from reality it was.

Well, those are two different companies as of 2021. VidAngel is a content filter where is Angel Studios is a content creator. I actually use the VidAngel app and its great for filtering out stuff I'm not ready for my kiddo to see/hear. I only wish WB and Disney hadn't sued them as I can only watch things from Netflix, Paramount and Prime Video streaming services.

They just released a Rudy episode and about half of it was joking about how far from reality it was.
That movie does not hold up over time, IMO. It was a "feel good" movie from my youth that really is cringy upon rewatch. I really just want to punch Rudy all throughout the film.

Sports movies that have held up for me? The Natural, A League of Their Own, Major League, Miracle, Field of Dreams, etc.

Well, those are two different companies as of 2021. VidAngel is a content filter where is Angel Studios is a content creator. I actually use the VidAngel app and its great for filtering out stuff I'm not ready for my kiddo to see/hear. I only wish WB and Disney hadn't sued them as I can only watch things from Netflix, Paramount and Prime Video streaming services.

You do you.

Like I said I'm not mad, I'm just not going to support it as I disagree with their stated goals. The company splitting due to lawsuits doesn't move the needle for me.

You do you.

Like I said I'm not mad, I'm just not going to support it as I disagree with their stated goals. The company splitting due to lawsuits doesn't move the needle for me.
I guess I've just never cared much for the "behind the scenes" motivations of people and companies (within reason...I'm not going to watch Cosby's next stand-up). If X company creates a service that is beneficial to me, I'm going to use it. If so and so makes a good movie, I'm going to see it. Maybe I'm wrong in that approach, I don't know. For now, though the VidAngel app is a great tool for my family's viewing needs. And if Tom Cruise (a Scientologist) and Seth McFarlane (an Atheist) makes a good flick, I'm going to pay to see it even though we have drastically different views.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT