ADVERTISEMENT

More Texas Stupid……

In Texas, the problems with utilities seems to center on lack of maintenance of “the power grid” for the most part. Utility rules are “unique”: in Texas and surprisingly, the lower income and wage folks are the victims of these policies……The past couple of years have been very bad ones for the citizens of Texas and their utility companies. It’s not changing until a lot of republicans are voted out of office.
Any kind of weather event and their grid goes down. A couple of years ago it was down for like two weeks because temps got below freezing (32 degrees).

Where's the governor???

Korea.

Lol.

Any kind of weather event and their grid goes down. A couple of years ago it was down for like two weeks because temps got below freezing (32 degrees).

Where's the governor???

Korea.

Lol.
Any kind of weather event and it goes down? <——- Hyperbole

I'm talking the idiots driving around in their 1978 Ford pickups with Trump flags and "Fcvk Brandon" banners.
Eh who cares let them live. Slap a Pride and a "Kamala is Fierce" bumper sticker on your vehicle and get back at them. 1st Amendment is a beautiful thing.

Dallas last winter.

What's your point?
How many "gun toting' Rednecks did you encounter in Dallas? Keep in mind that Dallas (along with Austin, Houston and San Antonio are blue cities).

Also, I wouldn't confuse "rednecks" with "ranchers". Rednecks primarily reside in areas of the deep south like Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia, and Louisiana, the Appalachia region (West Virginia, Kentucky, etc.) and to some extent the Ozarks.

I see a lot of stereotypical nonsense in your responses.

How many "gun toting' Rednecks did you encounter in Dallas? Keep in mind that Dallas (along with Austin, Houston and San Antonio are blue cities).

Also, I wouldn't confuse "rednecks" with "ranchers". Rednecks primarily reside in areas of the deep south like Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia, and Louisiana, the Appalachia region (West Virginia, Kentucky, etc.) and to some extent the Ozarks.

I see a lot of stereotypical nonsense in your responses.
Dallas is one of the biggest cities on the continent. Massive population melting pot, international draw, some of the largest companies in the world have their operation based there. It’s amazing all these halfwit, gun toting rednecks built such a place. If only it were as civilized as Iowa, where people drive 53 in a 55 and women wear hoodies 70% of the time.

• Haha
Reactions: Bonnell20
How long did you live in Texas, joel?
Daughter lived there 18 years…..Im pretty familiar with it via work and family….you dont have to believe me Alaska……but if you read and watch news stories, this shiot is pretty much out there every day.,.,,.Texas is “unique” and the way they run/govern their utilities certainly adds to its uniqueness…..obviously you choose to believe I am making all this shit up, bit that on you, not I…..There are many reasons I would choose never to live in Texas…and “utilities” would be one of ther reason.

Daughter lived there 18 years…..Im pretty familiar with it via work and family….you dont have to believe me Alaska……but if you read and watch news stories, this shiot is pretty much out there every day.,.,,.Texas is “unique” and the way they run/govern their utilities certainly adds to its uniqueness…..obviously you choose to believe I am making all this shit up, bit that on you, not I…..There are many reasons I would choose never to live in Texas…and “utilities” would be one of ther reason.
Like I said, I've lived here 24 years; 4 in San Angelo and 20 in San Antonio. I just don't get what all the bitching and moaning is about. I certainly don't see Texans moving out to places like CA, but I certainly see the reverse. My wife was born in Lufkin and my oldest daughter lives in Katy. It's a great place to live with a booming economy.

I just find it funny that people who don't actually live here constantly bitch about it. You don't see me bitching about living in Iowa. Why? I don't actually live there.

Reactions: OutbackBowl2017
Like I said, I've lived here 24 years; 4 in San Angelo and 20 in San Antonio. I just don't get what all the bitching and moaning is about. I certainly don't see Texans moving out to places like CA, but I certainly see the reverse. My wife was born in Lufkin and my oldest daughter lives in Katy. It's a great place to live with a booming economy.
In this case, Texas utilities have shown themselves to every undependable….for more than one or two occurrences. The legislature has conducted a large investigation a few years ago following a major utility failure after a cold snap/blizzard that interrupted services for a couple of weeks, but refused to require utility companies to improve services….and partner, when it comes to utilities…there are no alternatives. It a damn mess. And if you live there Alaska, you know it’s so.

In this case, Texas utilities have shown themselves to every undependable….for more than one or two occurrences. The legislature has conducted a large investigation a few years ago following a major utility failure after a cold snap/blizzard that interrupted services for a couple of weeks, but refused to require utility companies to improve services….and partner, when it comes to utilities…there are no alternatives. It a damn mess. And if you live there Alaska, you know it’s so.
Yes, snowpacalypse was a disaster. That was literally ONE WEEK out of 24 years and it was unprecedented. $hit happens, man. CA has wildfires, earthquakes, rolling blackouts, ridiculously priced homes, etc. Who should we blame for that "$hithole" state?

Seriously, you don't live here, so why on earth do you care?

Reactions: Crafty Beaver

I just find it funny that people who don't actually live here constantly bitch about it. You don't see me bitching about living in Iowa. Why? I don't actually live there.
Texans aren't moving to California because they can't afford it. Californians are moving to Texas because it's cheap.

Yes, snowpacalypse was a disaster. That was literally ONE WEEK out of 24 years and it was unprecedented. $hit happens, man. CA has wildfires, earthquakes, rolling blackouts, ridiculously priced homes, etc. Who should we blame for that "$hithole" state?

Seriously, you don't live here, so why on earth do you care?
The ignorant perceptions of Texas are driven by sensationalized reporting of current events in Texas. I have morons in my family that are convinced that everyone in Texas is rolling around with confederate flags, putting black people in chains, and carrying guns 24/7.

Meanwhile, there are actually more black people in Texas than anywhere in the United States and the vast majority of people in and around the cities are normal and educated, while the rural population is just like the rural population everywhere

Texans aren't moving to California because they can't afford it. Californians are moving to Texas because it's cheap.
Can't afford it or can't justify it? I can afford it, but why would I move there? My 3400 sq ft home would be worth millions there. It's definitely cheap to live here and they take really good care of Veterans, as does FL and OK.

Texas is no longer cheap. A starter home an hour north of downtown Dallas is over $600k. Small patch of dirt in the city is $500k. Remodeled 100+ year old houses sell for $400+ per sq ft.

Last edited:
The ignorant perceptions of Texas are driven by sensationalized reporting of current events in Texas. I have morons in my family that are convinced that everyone in Texas is rolling around with confederate flags, putting black people in chains, and carrying guns 24/7.

Meanwhile, there are actually more black people in Texas than anywhere in the United States and the vast majority of people in and around the cities are normal and educated, while the rural population is just like the rural population everywhere
Spot on! San Antonio is around 70% minority (63.87% Hispanic) and very blue.

Hmmm...lived in TX, graduated HS in TX, went to college in TX....don't like TX.

Guess that invalidates that thought.
At least you speak from experience, though. I'm good with that. TX isn't for everyone just like FL isn't. Personally, I won't move back to FL due to three simple reasons:
  • Hurricanes
  • Humidity (really #1 reason)
  • High insurance rates
I call it my H3 for never living in FL again. ;)

To be fair, when I moved from Texas to New Jersey, people who were born and raised in Texas universally told me I had to be crazy; that New Jersey was a shit-hole. Of course, none of them had ever been anywhere near the place.

I lived in Texas for only 17 years, but I doubt many people knew the whole of the state better than me, as my work took me to every nook and cranny of the state. I sold property tax software to small counties all across the state, which would bring me to the area for a couple of weeks, then for a few days every year for several years.

I will concur with the opinion that once you leave the city Texas is filled with rednecks and bigots. Some of them are polite as can be, especially to a well-dressed white man (although the locals tend to sneer at you if you are too well-dressed.) But you can still tell racist jokes in "polite" company without anyone batting an eye. Yes, it's easy to live there. The cost of living is cheap; particularly housing because land is so plentiful. And oil brings in enough revenue to keep the tax burden low for individuals. But there is a very distinct and plentiful breed of ignorant folks with zero tolerance for anyone different from them.

To be fair, when I moved from Texas to New Jersey, people who were born and raised in Texas universally told me I had to be crazy; that New Jersey was a shit-hole. Of course, none of them had ever been anywhere near the place.

I lived in Texas for only 17 years, but I doubt many people knew the whole of the state better than me, as my work took me to every nook and cranny of the state. I sold property tax software to small counties all across the state, which would bring me to the area for a couple of weeks, then for a few days every year for several years.

I will concur with the opinion that once you leave the city Texas is filled with rednecks and bigots. Some of them are polite as can be, especially to a well-dressed white man (although the locals tend to sneer at you if you are too well-dressed.) But you can still tell racist jokes in "polite" company without anyone batting an eye. Yes, it's easy to live there. The cost of living is cheap; particularly housing because land is so plentiful. And oil brings in enough revenue to keep the tax burden low for individuals. But there is a very distinct and plentiful breed of ignorant folks with zero tolerance for anyone different from them.
But can't we say that about just about anywhere? The arrogance and snobbishness of New England, the ignorance and racism of Mississippi and Alabama, the uneducated of the Ozarks, the "wokeness" of Californians. In the same breath, isn't that also part of what makes America great? There's something for everyone. Have you ever visited somewhere and said, this is a great place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live here?

I've mentioned my time in Kennebunkport, ME on here before. I went there during Pride Month and had the most wonderful time with amazing people. Take some racist a-hat from Bama there and I guarantee they don't report back the same experience.

At least you speak from experience, though. I'm good with that. TX isn't for everyone just like FL isn't. Personally, I won't move back to FL due to three simple reasons:
  • Hurricanes
  • Humidity (really #1 reason)
  • High insurance rates
Well, most people on this board are experts on CA despite having never been near the state.

I'd live on the gulf in FL if I could afford it and if I could get insurance.

Texans tend to believe their own marketing. But when all state and local taxes are factored in you pay about the same as I do annually. Your housing is cheaper, but I can be in the mountains or at the beach in 2 hours. And the pay tends to make up for the COL.
My brother has a nice place outside of SA but he's looking at moving now that he's retired. My sister is in Ft Worth and will probably stay there as she is one of those people who moved there and took it on as her identity.

Rural texas is about as cliche as you can get. Had a buddy in college who was suspended in HS for refusing to cut his hair.
But like anywhere else you can find good people.

Well, most people on this board are experts on CA despite having never been near the state.

I'd live on the gulf in FL if I could afford it and if I could get insurance.

Texans tend to believe their own marketing. But when all state and local taxes are factored in you pay about the same as I do annually. Your housing is cheaper, but I can be in the mountains or at the beach in 2 hours. And the pay tends to make up for the COL.
My brother has a nice place outside of SA but he's looking at moving now that he's retired. My sister is in Ft Worth and will probably stay there as she is one of those people who moved there and took it on as her identity.
If I'm being honest, I've always enjoyed my time in CA...been many many times to San Diego, LA, Hollywood, Carmel, San Fran, Sacramento, etc. My ex-wife was born and raised in Huntington Beach and my current wife lived in Sacramento for 3 years. I've never lived there personally, but I've never had a bad experience anywhere I've ever been in the state.

Reactions: BelemNole
But like anywhere else you can find good people.
Thats It Martin Short GIF by PBS SoCal

Texas is no longer cheap. A starter home an hour north of downtown Dallas is over $600k. Small patch of dirt in the city is $500k. Remodeled 100+ year old houses sell for $400+ per sq ft.
Still pretty cheap by California standards. Average home price here = $786K. Median home price = $900K.

Can't afford it or can't justify it? I can afford it, but why would I move there? My 3400 sq ft home would be worth millions there. It's definitely cheap to live here and they take really good care of Veterans, as does FL and OK.
At my last company we recruited a lot of out of state employees. I had a new employee from Texas complain that in Texas she lived in a custom 3,000 sq foot house in a gated private neighborhood, and for the same money here she had to live where all the, "normal people lived," in a cookie cuter starter home.

She lasted about six months. I guess she couldn't justify it anymore.

Still pretty cheap by California standards. Average home price here = $786K. Median home price = $900K.
Sure. But you can move most anywhere from California and it will be reduced cost. People could be moving to a ton of cities over Texas and save even more money, but they’re not. DFW is the fastest growing metro area and it’s over 8MM people.

Reactions: noStemsnoSTICKS
And there seems to be a lot of it……….

Hurricanes and bad weather seem to being out the best in Texas….the recent hurricane is no exception……..

On the evening network news some native Texan was bitchin; about being without power since Sunday and no relief in sight for the Houston area,,,,,,Duh……Texas…the land of NO zoning….the Land of pure profit with no real obligation to provide service for utilities…and the Land where Republicans rule! What the Phuque does this person expect? She lives there..,…and pays no state taxes…….where does she think help is going to come from? Just another dumb phuquin’ Texan…..Yee Haaaa!

ok-boomer-the-office.gif

Dallas is one of the biggest cities on the continent. Massive population melting pot, international draw, some of the largest companies in the world have their operation based there. It’s amazing all these halfwit, gun toting rednecks built such a place. If only it were as civilized as Iowa, where people drive 53 in a 55 and women wear hoodies 70% of the time.
Reading comprehension...You do realize that going from Mississippi North to Dallas includes driving the areas north of Dallas? Never said I saw rednecks in the Dallas suburbs.

Perhaps you don't have that understanding?

Reading comprehension...You do realize that going from Mississippi North to Dallas includes driving the areas north of Dallas? Never said I saw rednecks in the Dallas suburbs.

Perhaps you don't have that understanding?
Ah, you saw Okies and nearly Okies. They are indeed a different breed. Lived there almost four years and of the 10 states I've lived in, it's first in where I'd rather not live again.

As I posted earlier in this thread, Texas using its own electric grid goes back a ways. Plenty of Democrat governors during that time. Just saying.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT