ADVERTISEMENT

More Texas Stupid……

Bullshit…..Individal Party has no part in my concern…….Texas is one strange place….from its schools, to its HS football to its history and its politics……just strange.

However Texas began its quest to “deregulate “ in the mid 90’s or so…..and which Party has been the Party of Power for the majority of these years?
Now I believe Texas is getting ready to move back to the democrats…..but the “politics” of Texas will be slow to change….and the losers will remain to be its residents. Utilities have become profit centers and not service oriented.
Texas isn’t moving back to blue, this is CNN wet dream fodder.

Your last line is a bit funny, considering a Texan pays less than the national average for utilities. Cheap gas at the pump, cheap natural gas.

Bullshit…..Individal Party has no part in my concern…….Texas is one strange place….from its schools, to its HS football to its history and its politics……just strange.

However Texas began its quest to “deregulate “ in the mid 90’s or so…..and which Party has been the Party of Power for the majority of these years?
Now I believe Texas is getting ready to move back to the democrats…..but the “politics” of Texas will be slow to change….and the losers will remain to be its residents. Utilities have become profit centers and not service oriented.
Again, I really recommend you don't move here. It just wouldn't be a good fit. You should stay in Iowa where it's safe for you.

• Haha
Reactions: Dr. Phil Seuss
Well, it's still not "fixed", but they're making improvements. And FWIW, here is a comparison of my summer electric bills since 2021:

June - 163
July - 214
August - 204

June - 252
July - 321
August - 303

2023 (hottest summer on record)
June - 209
July - 288
August - 237

June - 224
July - 228
August - TBD

We had to take it up the rump in 2022 after that winter storm, but looks like improvements are getting things back to normal.
-----------------

TL;DR Summary:

The Texas power grid has undergone significant changes following the severe outages experienced during the 2021 winter storm, prompting a rapid evolution aimed at enhancing reliability and sustainability. Texas operates independently from the Eastern and Western grids, allowing for market-driven policies and reduced federal oversight but requiring self-sufficiency in meeting electricity demands within state borders. As the state grapples with increasing population and business growth, including energy-intensive sectors like bitcoin mining, there has been a notable shift towards renewable energy sources such as wind and solar. By 2023, these renewables accounted for nearly a third of the grid's fuel sources, reducing reliance on fossil fuels like gas and coal.

Despite challenges associated with the intermittent nature of renewable resources, advancements in battery storage technology have supported their integration into the grid, helping to stabilize supply during peak demand periods. This transition has not only contributed to preventing outages but has also led to lower electricity costs for consumers. To manage escalating electricity demand—fueled by factors like population growth and climate-driven extreme weather—ERCOT has expanded its capacity, although concerns about grid reliability persist, prompting conservation measures during periods of strain.

Looking forward, Texas is increasingly focused on further developing renewable energy infrastructure while addressing the aging of existing fossil fuel plants. The state's commitment to incentivizing "dispatchable" resources like natural gas and coal aims to bolster grid stability while managing the costs associated with integrating more intermittent renewables. These efforts underscore Texas's ongoing transformation towards a more resilient and sustainable energy future, albeit one that requires careful balancing of technological advancement, regulatory oversight, and consumer affordability.
Improvements are great, but being disconnected from the rest of the country will eventually cost you all again.

Look, CA has issues too (especially with PG&E) , but the idea that TX is some libertarian nirvana is comical.

If you have half a brain and are moving to Texas, the Austin area would be the only area that would make any sense.
Yeah that's why I moved here in 1990 to Austin but it makes zero sense right now to move to Austin. It's extremely expensive and there's traffic out the wazoo and all the Californians are moving here

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT