ADVERTISEMENT

More Texas Stupid……

As I posted earlier in this thread, Texas using its own electric grid goes back a ways. Plenty of Democrat governors during that time. Just saying.
The recent problems have been raised and (not) dealt with by Republicans….that is why Texans might be needing a change in policy….Dems have been a non-player in Texas politics for over a decade, at least…..and as we both know…..ultimate POWER corrupts, ultimately. Iowa is in a similar path.

Reading comprehension...You do realize that going from Mississippi North to Dallas includes driving the areas north of Dallas? Never said I saw rednecks in the Dallas suburbs.

Perhaps you don't have that understanding?
You said you went to Dallas. How was I supposed to know you drove and explored the highways outside of Dallas? I’m just a redneck Texan here. We don’t read minds like you brilliant midwesterners.

The rural / urban divide that is gripping the country grips Texas just the same. Live in a city and you’ll never even see these people unless you go into their domain.

The recent problems have been raised and (not) dealt with by Republicans….that is why Texans might be needing a change in policy….Dems have been a non-player in Texas politics for over a decade, at least…..and as we both know…..ultimate POWER corrupts, ultimately. Iowa is in a similar path.
How have Dems done in California?

I dunno…..Depends on who you talk with, I suppose…..but I bet you got an answer for me, right? California has problems I am sure……but utilities/grip and service aren’t what the are in Texas, I bet.
Nah, they just have and or initiate rolling blackouts because their infrastructure can’t support its customers all the time. Kind of like Texas.

And California is forcing EVs on its people and don’t even have the means to keep up with the electrical demand.

Nah, they just have and or initiate rolling blackouts because their infrastructure can’t support its customers all the time. Kind of like Texas.
The day to day business isn’t the sincere herer as much as its susceptibility to failure (prolonged) in bad weather situations. In the winter when they had grid failures people literally froze to death because theycouldn’t heat their domiciles…..that is pure bullshit! You are talking unable yo. Repair the grid to a working order in a week or two?
Not being a resident, listening to “conversations” and complaints by locals, utilities have a strange way of charging their customers too……it all seems very “Texas” to me…….meaning it makes no damn sense at all. I mean, aren’t utilities supposed to serve EVERYBODY who signs up for them? And isn’t the obligation of their utility to provide this service and maintain its equipment (grid)? That is not what is being done in Texas according to news/complaintants.

The day to day business isn’t the sincere herer as much as its susceptibility to failure (prolonged) in bad weather situations. In the winter when they had grid failures people literally froze to death because theycouldn’t heat their domiciles…..that is pure bullshit! You are talking unable yo. Repair the grid to a working order in a week or two?
Not being a resident, listening to “conversations” and complaints by locals, utilities have a strange way of charging their customers too……it all seems very “Texas” to me…….meaning it makes no damn sense at all. I mean, aren’t utilities supposed to serve EVERYBODY who signs up for them? And isn’t the obligation of their utility to provide this service and maintain its equipment (grid)? That is not what is being done in Texas according to news/complaintants.
You forgot this part:

And California is forcing EVs on its people and don’t even have the means to keep up with the electrical demand.

EVs??

I just see where Oregon is offering “smart thermostats) to customers that will automatically reduce service to customers during peak usage periods for a reduction in rate……..Iowa has done this (voluntarily) for several years in the summer……..The point being these states utilities maintain and monitor ther power grids far better and more efficiently than Texas. These states aren’t forcing their customers to go off line for extended periods of time, unannounced.

I recommend you don't move to Texas, joel. It's not a good fit for you.

Let’s check the cost of electricity and natural gas in Texas v California. Bet it is nearly double out west.
Avg texan pays 14.58 cents per kilowatt-hour. And that isn't the crazy demand rates that go into the tens of thousands during storms.
I pay 11.76 to 15.68 per kilowatt-hour.

Let’s check the cost of electricity and natural gas in Texas v California. Bet it is nearly double out west.
Why? I live in Iowa and have no plans on moving to either. Natural gas ought to be dirt cheap in Texas….its right there.
One of the most coveted jobs in Texas is that of Railroad Commissioner….because the Railroad Commissioner controls the gas pipelines in the entire state of Texas…..I bet he gets a lot of free dinners….

LMFAO. CA has rolling blackouts every couple of years that last for a few hours in a few neighborhoods. Texas loses power for weeks when it snows.
Shit, it's been 110 or hotter for 10 days straight and no blackouts yet this year.
CA is at about 50% renewable energy too.

That storm was an historic event. I lived through it in my ancient house. I had neighbors with thousands of dollars in pipe burst damages. People left their homes without shutting off the water. Others did moronic shit that killed them with carbon monoxide.

Out of 30 million people, 246 died, and nowhere near all those died because of the grid failing. Many died on the road when their cars broke down. None of this is good, but let’s not act like the grid has created this hellscape that holds Texans hostage and destroys society. Texas has power that is cheaper than the national average and it works the overwhelming majority of the time.

They had another significant event there a year ot so later…..I was down there for that one and listened to the locals piss and moan about “how can this happen again?”
So Phil, let’s not bullshit a bullshitter….ok? Texas utilities leave a lot to be desired. And this current legislature has done nothing to correct the problem….even though they are on-going.

LMFAO. CA has rolling blackouts every couple of years that last for a few hours in a few neighborhoods. Texas loses power for weeks when it snows.
Shit, it's been 110 or hotter for 10 days straight and no blackouts yet this year.
CA is at about 50% renewable energy too.
Come on Bel, don't be a joel. That's literally happened one time in an unprecedented event and it wasn't weeks, it was days. It doesn't snow in Texas every year. I'm not saying there's not work to be done on the grid, but A. power goes out during a hurricane, I don't care what state you live in and what party their governor belongs to and B. people need to quit pointing to a one-time event as the norm.

----------
During the 2021 Texas snowstorm, also known as Winter Storm Uri, power outages varied widely across the state, lasting anywhere from a few hours to several days. The storm began on February 10, 2021, and by February 15, significant power outages had begun. The most severe outages occurred between February 15 and February 19 (5 days).
I don’t know anyone that has ever lost power for a week in Texas. Even in 21, they were running rolling blackouts in many areas. Some lost power for a few days.
Yup

Avg texan pays 14.58 cents per kilowatt-hour. And that isn't the crazy demand rates that go into the tens of thousands during storms.
I pay 11.76 to 15.68 per kilowatt-hour.
Demand rates? Lol. So you read about the griddy customers who signed up for insane variable rate contracts, got dirt cheap power for years, then got hit in a surge? That was probably less than .01% of customers. Most people have fixed rate contracts.

National average is like 16 cents kWh. Texas delivers below that, California is double Texas. It ain’t all bad

Come on Bel, don't be a joel. That's literally happened one time in an unprecedented event and it wasn't weeks, it was days. It doesn't snow in Texas every year. I'm not saying there's not work to be done on the grid, but A. power goes out during a hurricane, I don't care what state you live in and what party their governor belongs to and B. people need to quit pointing to a one-time event as the norm.

----------
During the 2021 Texas snowstorm, also known as Winter Storm Uri, power outages varied widely across the state, lasting anywhere from a few hours to several days. The storm began on February 10, 2021, and by February 15, significant power outages had begun. The most severe outages occurred between February 15 and February 19 (5 days).

Yup
Come on, people were freezing to death and others were getting bills for tens of thousands of dollars. Five days is a long time to be out of power when it's just cold weather.

Reactions: joelbc1
lol. A major wind storm physically destroyed overhead lines, this would knock out power anywhere. This isn’t an issue created by privatization, it is created by geography.
Tell that to the Texas Tribune.

----------

Yup
It also happened in ‘22. I was down there during that one…..not as severe but significant. You can spin it however you want….problems were uncovered/investigated by the Legislature…..but nothing changed. Utilities even testified “maintenance” of the grid was neglected as it was not profitable.

Tell that to the Texas Tribune.

Lolz. You’re posting links from different events here.

The ‘21 grid event is well documented. Yes, the govt failed to hold accountable its private partners. Yes, it was driven by greed. This doesn’t mean every time the power goes out in Texas it is because everyone in Texas is retarded and corporations are greedy.

Reactions: alaskanseminole
Come on, people were freezing to death and others were getting bills for tens of thousands of dollars. Five days is a long time to be out of power when it's just cold weather.
I didn't say it wasn't. My point is people need to quit stating that as the norm. It happened once and lasted at worst 5 days. I lived through it and it sucked a$$. My whole family slept in the living room in front of the fireplace and we cooked outside on our gas grill.

It also happened in ‘22. I was down there during that one…..not as severe but significant. You can spin it however you want….problems were uncovered/investigated by the Legislature…..but nothing changed. Utilities even testified “maintenance” of the grid was neglected as it was not profitable.
They rolled the dice and lost. I don't carry flood insurance because I'm not on a flood plain. It could bite me in the arse one day, but I'm gambling it won't. People in Alaska typically don't have AC. We don't need it up there. However, there have been record breaking high temps that were unprecedented, but it's not the norm. Aside from snowpacalypse of 2021, I've never been w/o power for more than a few hours in 24 years, joel. I'm sorry that pisses you off so much. During my 19 years in FL had many more long-term power outages due to hurricanes.

If Texas had a Democrat governor, you wouldn't give two flying farts what Texas does or doesn't do.

Lolz. You’re posting links from different events here.

The ‘21 grid event is well documented. Yes, the govt failed to hold accountable its private partners. Yes, it was driven by greed. This doesn’t mean every time the power goes out in Texas it is because everyone in Texas is retarded and corporations are greedy.
So what you're saying is....that deregulation has bitten Texans in the ass more than once.
I agree.

They rolled the dice and lost. I don't carry flood insurance because I'm not on a flood plain. It could bite me in the arse one day, but I'm gambling it won't. People in Alaska typically don't have AC. We don't need it up there. However, there have been record breaking high temps that were unprecedented, but it's not the norm. Aside from snowpacalypse of 2021, I've never been w/o power for more than a few hours in 24 years, joel. I'm sorry that pisses you off so much. During my 19 years in FL had many more long-term power outages due to hurricanes.

If Texas had a Democrat governor, you wouldn't give two flying farts what Texas does or doesn't do.
Come on, Texas had been warned about it's grid for years. It was a self-fulfilling prophecy.
Texas gets snow, it's not uncommon for winter storms to hit. I lived thru a few.

Come on, Texas had been warned about it's grid for years. It was a self-fulfilling prophecy.
Texas gets snow, it's not uncommon for winter storms to hit. I lived thru a few.
Well, it's still not "fixed", but they're making improvements. And FWIW, here is a comparison of my summer electric bills since 2021:

June - 163
July - 214
August - 204

June - 252
July - 321
August - 303

2023 (hottest summer on record)
June - 209
July - 288
August - 237

June - 224
July - 228
August - TBD

We had to take it up the rump in 2022 after that winter storm, but looks like improvements are getting things back to normal.
-----------------

TL;DR Summary:

The Texas power grid has undergone significant changes following the severe outages experienced during the 2021 winter storm, prompting a rapid evolution aimed at enhancing reliability and sustainability. Texas operates independently from the Eastern and Western grids, allowing for market-driven policies and reduced federal oversight but requiring self-sufficiency in meeting electricity demands within state borders. As the state grapples with increasing population and business growth, including energy-intensive sectors like bitcoin mining, there has been a notable shift towards renewable energy sources such as wind and solar. By 2023, these renewables accounted for nearly a third of the grid's fuel sources, reducing reliance on fossil fuels like gas and coal.

Despite challenges associated with the intermittent nature of renewable resources, advancements in battery storage technology have supported their integration into the grid, helping to stabilize supply during peak demand periods. This transition has not only contributed to preventing outages but has also led to lower electricity costs for consumers. To manage escalating electricity demand—fueled by factors like population growth and climate-driven extreme weather—ERCOT has expanded its capacity, although concerns about grid reliability persist, prompting conservation measures during periods of strain.

Looking forward, Texas is increasingly focused on further developing renewable energy infrastructure while addressing the aging of existing fossil fuel plants. The state's commitment to incentivizing "dispatchable" resources like natural gas and coal aims to bolster grid stability while managing the costs associated with integrating more intermittent renewables. These efforts underscore Texas's ongoing transformation towards a more resilient and sustainable energy future, albeit one that requires careful balancing of technological advancement, regulatory oversight, and consumer affordability.

Reactions: BelemNole

Bullshit…..Individal Party has no part in my concern…….Texas is one strange place….from its schools, to its HS football to its history and its politics……just strange.

However Texas began its quest to “deregulate “ in the mid 90’s or so…..and which Party has been the Party of Power for the majority of these years?
Now I believe Texas is getting ready to move back to the democrats…..but the “politics” of Texas will be slow to change….and the losers will remain to be its residents. Utilities have become profit centers and not service oriented.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT