ADVERTISEMENT

Morris & Long have a lot to say: Morris has something planned for the Carver crowd

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
“We want to go in there and make a statement — set the tone and send a message both to Iowa and the country,” Monte Morris said before Tuesday’s practice. “We’re trying to go out there and beat them badly."

“It’s been a Cyclone state, and we want to continue that,” said Naz Mitrou-Long, who was on the team, yet didn’t see the floor, the last time Iowa beat Iowa State back in 2012. “This game is a big-time deal.”

There will be some ugliness. There will be smack. There might even be a peck.

“I don’t think Georges planned that kiss [two years ago, at the end of the game, Niang blew a kiss to the Iowa Student Section],” Long said.

Niang was a lightning rod, with the ability to back it up.

“I have to carry the trash talking load since he left,” Morris said. “The kiss — I thought it was big time for a big-time player to do that. That just sparked a rivalry.”

What if there’s a smooching situation around 9 p.m. Thursday?

“I have a surprise up my sleeve,” Morris said. “It’s better than a kiss.”

the whole story: http://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sp...s-georges-niang-kiss-randy-peterson/95084710/

Last edited:
understanding trash talk goes both ways...I;m sure the ISU seniors will try to intimidate our freshman..2 years in Carver Long was really going after it...one time in 1st half he hit a 3...and really got in Gesells'''face..I;m mean Gesell could have checked out his tonsils Long's mouth was that wide open...

Lil' Brother gets so excited to play us.

Bad picture. Otherwise, enjoy:

Iowa is no longer the "big brother" that everyone likes to say they are. Since the turn of the century, ISU has had more success than us. This isn't football. Maybe our players need to get a little more hyped for this game... I'll be at Carver. I'm hoping to see more black than red. I think ISU has the edge in this game but we still have a great shot at winning.

Iowa is no longer the "big brother" that everyone likes to say they are. Since the turn of the century, ISU has had more success than us. This isn't football. Maybe our players need to get a little more hyped for this game... I'll be at Carver. I'm hoping to see more black than red. I think ISU has the edge in this game but we still have a great shot at winning.

Ok, you measure success by the turn of the century until now. I didn't realize you were in charge of what everyone else thinks as well. o_O What's the job pay? :)

As to the rest, glad you are a Hawkeye fan. Have a great time at the game and hopefully we pull off the upset. I our program is taking, and have been wondering if, when Hoiberg gets canned by the Bulls, will ISU bring him back?

Reactions: Ree4 and HawkGem10
Ok, you measure success by the turn of the century until now. I didn't realize you were in charge of what everyone else thinks as well. o_O What's the job pay? :)

As to the rest, glad you are a Hawkeye fan. Have a great time at the game and hopefully we pull off the upset. I our program is taking, and have been wondering if, when Hoiberg gets canned by the Bulls, will ISU bring him back?

Sorry, I guess I don't measure success by what we did 50 years ago. I measure success by how well we're doing now. To each their own.

I don't predict much...but will on this one..there will be at least 1 T in this game and it wont come from the bench.

The last two years Iowa State got big buckets right before the half to change momentum.

At Iowa, it was close and I have never heard a place as loud as it was when Gabe blocked a dunk attempt. At the end of the half Thomas got a run out and hit a 3 as the clock ran down and they came out in the second half and ran away.

Last year, they made a shot then got the ball back (on a late half Gesell turnover, go figure) and Morris hit a 3. It turned a 19 point lead into a 14 point lead and momentum switched.

Who's the trashy one?

Cyd, I'm certainly not going to say you haven't had the better program the last chunk of years, but you have to admit the "shady character" scoreboard tilts just as much as the game scoreboard has recently.

Here's a question for you - are you PROUD that your PG and SG are already bragging about the ways they can get under the skin of a terrible team that won't make the NCAAs?

Seriously, if Iowa players were saying this stuff I'd be embarrassed.

I know this much...McCaffery would most likely have a problem with it if his players were yapping to the media in this manner....not sure what Prohm's stance is but then again Morris & Long were not recruited by him.

Morris & Long know who they need to stop & do everything to get in his head....BUT...you know this yapping before hand can also have a reverse affect..you just never know.

Trash talking during the game happens (it just gets hyped up in this one)....as an old timer...I don't like it..but hey generations you know..its their game...seems Morris is a little more quiet. Long is a jack ass...like I posted 2 years ago in Carver he was trash talker on steroids...physically was inches from Gesell's face after he hit a 3. He should have been T'd up...but Ref's have pretty much given up trying to control it.

Reactions: kceasthawk
I know this much...McCaffery would most likely have a problem with it if his players were yapping to the media in this manner....not sure what Prohm's stance is but then again Morris & Long were not recruited by him.

Morris & Long know who they need to stop & do everything to get in his head....BUT...you know this yapping before hand can also have a reverse affect..you just never know.

Trash talking during the game happens (it just gets hyped up in this one)....as an old timer...I don't like it..but hey generations you know..its their game...seems Morris is a little more quiet. Long is a jack ass...like I posted 2 years ago in Carver he was trash talker on steroids...physically was inches from Gesell's face after he hit a 3. He should have been T'd up...but Ref's have pretty much given up trying to control it.

I hear what you are saying, but I would appreciate a team with a bit of attitude and could back it up at important moments.

Here's a question for you - are you PROUD that your PG and SG are already bragging about the ways they can get under the skin of a terrible team that won't make the NCAAs?

Seriously, if Iowa players were saying this stuff I'd be embarrassed.
I'm not proud or embarrassed. I don't care at all. I certainly don't make jokes about being shot. If it bothers Iowa players as much as it does Iowa fans than I guess I'm glad they did it. I suspect it has no bearing on Iowa players, however. Their skin isn't thin like the fans.

Reactions: AZmess
I hear what you are saying, but I would appreciate a team with a bit of attitude and could back it up at important moments.

...trash talking 2 days before the game by one team is lame...trash talking during the game is lame IMO. something like talk is cheap. Yes I'll take players with an attitude that get it done on the court...doesn't mean a big mouth is necessary to do it.

It's a rivalry game, yes they smack talk, but they are friends for the most part outside of basketball. Some of you are to damn sensitive to crap like this.

friends? well ok but I wouldn't necessarily agree with the most part. it seems there are 2 people doing the yapping 2 days before the game...Mr Morris & Mr Long and there is no doubt in my mind the "friend" its directed toward. They know who it is that they would love to get in his head. I hope it has the opposite affect on Jok.

I love it. It's a rivalry game. You are supposed to want to beat the other guy badly. It is all in good fun.

I love it. It's a rivalry game. You are supposed to want to beat the other guy badly. It is all in good fun.

I love that I S U is the only one doing the yapping....thanks.
We don't have a chance in hell considering they think they need to be us badly to make a statement....;)
still have to play the game boys...

...trash talking 2 days before the game by one team is lame...trash talking during the game is lame IMO. something like talk is cheap. Yes I'll take players with an attitude that get it done on the court...doesn't mean a big mouth is necessary to do it.

We'll agree to disagree. I would prefer to see a bit more of a roster with some swagger and attitude that occasionally do something silly on the court over a roster of "nice behavior" guys who wilt at big moments. It's big boy basketball.

Yeah you actually have a point. We the people tend to get our panties wadded up to easily. It actually does more to make it a rivalry, if the hawks don't like what they're saying then come out and knock them down a notch or two on the court.

Reactions: Cydkar
The little brother thing is dumb nowdays. It used to hold true in the 80's. However, ISU is a flat out better programs with better fan support in basketball. Iowa is better at football. Also, if you have not noticed the Iowa football team talks smack all the time. Just like every other team. Talking smack does not mean they are thugs. Means they want to take it to the other team. They want to get in there head. This is a Rivalry game also. Let's quit saying that it means so much to Iowa State. If you seen the meltdown after last years game. It meant a crap load to guys also. It means a lot to the players. Who are all by the way good friends and have all pretty much known each other since they were 12 and played against each other on the AAU circuit.

Reactions: Myvue
The little brother thing is dumb nowdays. It used to hold true in the 80's. However, ISU is a flat out better programs with better fan support in basketball. Iowa is better at football. Also, if you have not noticed the Iowa football team talks smack all the time. Just like every other team. Talking smack does not mean they are thugs. Means they want to take it to the other team. They want to get in there head. This is a Rivalry game also. Let's quit saying that it means so much to Iowa State. If you seen the meltdown after last years game. It meant a crap load to guys also. It means a lot to the players. Who are all by the way good friends and have all pretty much known each other since they were 12 and played against each other on the AAU circuit.

Let's just all hold hands and sing "Kumbaya", but it's OK for Iowa State players to talk crud. One or the other little brother. One, or the other.

They have a good program right now but they are not elite like they think. Not even close.

42-3. Unlike ISU fans, Iowa fans are still talking about their football team. Unlike football, a loss to ISU in basketball isn't bad. They should come in and destroy Iowa just based on experience, but I think Iowa has enough Iowa boys to know how this rivalry goes and want to make a statement. Jok doesn't want to finish with a loss to ISU. I think it will be closer than Mr. Mitrou-Long and Mr. Morris think. Go Hawks!

The little brother thing is dumb nowdays. It used to hold true in the 80's. However, ISU is a flat out better programs with better fan support in basketball.

I'll give you better fan support - Hilton is a great arena and the fans pack it.

As for better program, you'd have it over the last decade, but here are some stats:

Overall NCAA appearances: Iowa 25, Iowa State 20
Sweet 16 appearances: Iowa 8, Iowa State 5
Elite 8 appearances: Iowa 4, Iowa State 2
Final 4 appearances: Iowa 3, Iowa State 1
Conference Championships (Regular): Iowa 8, Iowa State 6
Conference Tourney Championships: Iowa 2, Iowa State 4

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT