ADVERTISEMENT

Mosley’s BBQ restaurant closing last North Liberty location

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Mosley’s Barbecue and Provisions is closing its only remaining location in North Liberty.

Following the closure of its original location in downtown Iowa City on Aug. 26, the North Liberty location at 125 E. Zeller St. will close at the end of Saturday.

“All good things must come to an end, and in this case a great thing is coming to an end. Mosley’s has had a great five-year run in North Liberty, and it’s time to move on to a new phase of our lives,” owner Sean Keller said in a social media post Tuesday.

The Iowa City location opened in July 2015. The North Liberty location, also known as Mosley’s Backyard Grill, followed in November 2018.

Though the business did see some slow down in recent months, Keller told The Gazette that the decision was a personal one as his children grow up and his family moves into a different stage of life. The next move for the business owner still is to be determined, though he hasn’t ruled our returning to the restaurant industry or continuing catering operations.

“It’s a passion that doesn’t come and go — it’s just here,” he said.

After eight years building two restaurants, he said he’ll most miss the patrons who made them a success.

“I start to get a little sappy looking back on the experiences that we’ve had with guests coming in,” Keller said. “For years, that’s day in, day out who we’re spending our days with. Whether staff or regulars, it really does become a big family.”

Mosley’s brisket rub recipe, released to The Gazette in January 2022, remains available for those hoping to recreate a taste of the restaurant at home: 1/2 cup of kosher salt, 1 cup of black pepper, 1/4 cup of garlic powder, 1 tablespoon plus a pinch of smoked bittersweet paprika.

Reactions: lucas80
It’s impossible for me to see that restaurant name, and not put on my best British accent and say “Mr. Mosley“ like in Downton Abbey.

Reactions: lucas80
It’s impossible for me to see that restaurant name, and not put on my best British accent and say “Mr. Mosley“ like in Downton Abbey.
Technically, the character's name is Molesley. A fairly decent supporting character. I love the storyline where he dyes his hair.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT