ADVERTISEMENT

What are the most memorable and/or most famous bars in which you've ever partied?

I was (nicely) asked to leave Pat O’Briens in NOLA.
Apparently they don’t like it when wimmens climb on the bar and start to dance.

I’m surprised no one has mentioned the Florabama.

I was (nicely) asked to leave Pat O’Briens in NOLA.
Apparently they don’t like it when wimmens climb on the bar and start to dance.

I’m surprised no one has mentioned the Florabama.
I go to the FloraBama often. I didn't know it qualified.

I've been to Pat O'Brien's a few times. Flaming Hurricanes are a sight.

Captain Tony’s, Sloppy Joes, Hogs Breath, Margaritaville original, Pat O’s, Tipatina’s

Cubbie Bear, McSorely’s

LaVela and Spinnaker (RIP to both). No Name Lounge in PC (probably really only famous to locals)

I’m sure a few others that I’m forgetting

Reactions: BelemNole
Can't believe none of you have said The Blue Oyster

For me it was some bar in Alexandria across the river from DC where are the real politics used to take place. You couldn't throw an olive without hitting someone important.
I'm curious which bar that was. I spent a lot of time drinking in that area after school.

Captain Tony’s, Sloppy Joes, Hogs Breath, Margaritaville original, Pat O’s, Tipatina’s

Cubbie Bear, McSorely’s

LaVela and Spinnaker (RIP to both). No Name Lounge in PC (probably really only famous to locals)

I’m sure a few others that I’m forgetting
College gf came in 3rd at a wet t-shirt contest at LaVela one spring break. Other two were pros.

Reactions: runkpanole
Connaught Bar in London
Chateau Marmot
CBGB

I wasn’t cool enough for any of the them.

Had my name on a plaque at the op on the hill. Sad the kids stopped going there and they had to shut down. Used to spend my summer nights there when I was in college.
Wonder what they turned the place into.
Honestly they didn’t. Covid was a big part of it but restrictions on underage drinking have really hurt the Hill. When I moved back in ‘97 it was a pretty happening spot. Pretty much a ghost town now.

Gordon's Wine Bar London
3985010155_7c513fa42b_b.jpg

Famous? Not sure if clubs count but probably either 1st Ave in Minneapolis or the Metro in Chicago.

It's not there any more, but we used to have a blast in T-n-Ts in Joliet (on W Jefferson, across the street from the armory I worked at). It was owned by former Bears Tom Thayer and Mike Tomczyk. A friend of mine played HS FB with Thayer at Joliet Catholic. We'd go and hang out there and a bunch of current(at the time)/former Chicago sports figures.would show up, as would local guys that were from the area but played elsewhere. Ate lunch there at least once a week, and it was one of the restaurant/bars we'd hang out at with friends.

It was only about 2 min from the apartment we lived in before we bought our house, and our oldest son was born in the hospital about 3 blocks away. So yeah, some pretty good memories there.

Famous...
Sloppy Joes, Hogs Breath, Captain Tonys in Key West
Lafittes Blacksmith Shop, Pat Obriens in New Orleans
Warren Tavern (oldest bar in Boston)
The Soggy Dollar, Jost Van Dyke BVI...claims to be originator of The Painkiller
and Foxys on Jost Van Dyke; great beachside restaurant/bar, live music nightly, Foxy himself used to get up & belt out some Marley tunes

Most Memorable:
The Willy T - an old sailboat that was converted to a bar/restaurant, anchored off the coast of Norman Island in BVI. The original was destroyed in a hurricane in 2017; it was replaced, but the local government initially would not let them return to the original location. They moved to a nearby island, but from what I've heard a few years ago the government changed their mind & allowed them to move back to the original location. The original was awesome; included a plank, from which you were welcome to walk, dive, or jump in. Added benefit - females who did so topless were given their choice of a free drink or a free t-shirt.

Sundowners, a beachside bar on the sandy shores of Half Moon Bay, Roatan Honduras. Immensely popular with the scuba diving crowd, where you drink Salva Vida & relive the day's dives.

Bucket o' Blood, Utila Honduras. For many years was the place for late night drinks & dancing after a day of diving on that small island. Closed after the owner ended up dying in a puddle of blood after being stabbed.
I saw my brother stand on a table and drop his trousers to the ankles in the Paris Cafe in lower Manhattan. The crowd went wild. I also saw. him take Andy Rodney’s coat and hang it up at the longest continually operating business in Manhattan, the Paris Cafe.

There are a few. I will try to remember as many as I can:

-Sardi's
-The Blue Bar at the Algonquin Hotel
-Harry's (Wall Street)
-Maxwell's Plum (long gone, I believe)
-P.J. Clarke's
-Trump World Tower (Lobby Bar)
-Boat House (Central Park)
-Russian Tea-Room
-White Horse Tavern
-Elaine's

Cleopatra's Barge - Las Vegas

-Yankee Clipper/Ft. Lauderdale

-Cliff House
-Buena Vista Cafe - San Francisco
-Perry's - San Francisco
-Buena Vista - San Francisco
-Balboa Cafe/San Francisco
-Bohemian Club/San Francisco
-John's Grill ... With reference to "The Maltese Falcon,"On the climactic final night of the novel's plot, detective Sam Spade dines on chops, potatoes, and tomatoes at John's Grill after coming into possession of the titular falcon.

Rick's Cafe/Negril (added after seeing the mention below)
Früh - Cologne

Griswold Inn/Essex, CT.

Last edited:
Famous...
Sloppy Joes, Hogs Breath, Captain Tonys in Key West
Lafittes Blacksmith Shop, Pat Obriens in New Orleans
Warren Tavern (oldest bar in Boston)
The Soggy Dollar, Jost Van Dyke BVI...claims to be originator of The Painkiller
and Foxys on Jost Van Dyke; great beachside restaurant/bar, live music nightly, Foxy himself used to get up & belt out some Marley tunes

Most Memorable:
The Willy T - an old sailboat that was converted to a bar/restaurant, anchored off the coast of Norman Island in BVI. The original was destroyed in a hurricane in 2017; it was replaced, but the local government initially would not let them return to the original location. They moved to a nearby island, but from what I've heard a few years ago the government changed their mind & allowed them to move back to the original location. The original was awesome; included a plank, from which you were welcome to walk, dive, or jump in. Added benefit - females who did so topless were given their choice of a free drink or a free t-shirt.

Sundowners, a beachside bar on the sandy shores of Half Moon Bay, Roatan Honduras. Immensely popular with the scuba diving crowd, where you drink Salva Vida & relive the day's dives.

Bucket o' Blood, Utila Honduras. For many years was the place for late night drinks & dancing after a day of diving on that small island. Closed after the owner ended up dying in a puddle of blood after being stabbed.
Rick’s cafe in Jamaica, if you count having drinks with your family and in-laws partying.

Reactions: Titus Andronicus
When I worked in DC a Maryland grad took me to the Rendezvous aka the Vous. Place was equals parts crazy and disgusting

All of the key west and tallahassee bars of note. I've been to a bunch of bars in major cities but not sure how many were famous bars. I went to Harry Caray's in Chicago while a game was on. Was fun seeing the whole bar sing along and the girls get up onto the bar to sing. Cheers in Boston was more like a museum but they did serve beer.

All of the key west and tallahassee bars of note. I've been to a bunch of bars in major cities but not sure how many were famous bars. I went to Harry Caray's in Chicago while a game was on. Was fun seeing the whole bar sing along and the girls get up onto the bar to sing. Cheers in Boston was more like a museum but they did serve beer.

Yeah, I went to Cheers when we were in Boston. Kinda thought the same, the inside isn't at all like the show.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT